Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Guardiola won a treble in his first season in charge.

He's referring about him being given the job in the first place, which I'm not sure I entirely agree with as Pep was always seen as a Curyff protege and he implemented a clear style of play with the B team

I know Ole had the reserves job at Man-U (not sure how well he did) but the Cardiff stint was not great, Man-U should really have aimed higher at the time he got the job

However it's quite clear Man-U have made progress, the squad looks a bit more stable if a little thin (in comparison to City). I think if Man-U can sign 2-3 top players then they will challenge for the title (they would just have to sacrifice the league cup probably)

Just now, Kaizero said:

You're saying a better manager than one straight from managing their youth team couldn't have won the treble with that Barcelona side then? Michael Laudrup was the first choice, he had a lot more on his resume so surely he'd be the better option for them at the time if they wanted to win.

Must be desperate to support OGS if we’re getting to the point of trying to guess what might happen in totally hypothetical situations with other clubs.

I wouldn’t have appointed Guardiola personally, no. But they did and he provided a sensational first season and has gone on to be one of (if not the) greatest managers in the world.

OGS has had 2.5 seasons and has won nothing apart from qualifying for the CL.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Must be desperate to support OGS if we’re getting to the point of trying to guess what might happen in totally hypothetical situations with other clubs.

I wouldn’t have appointed Guardiola personally, no. But they did and he provided a sensational first season and has gone on to be one of (if not the) greatest managers in the world.

Ultimately Man-U want to win the league and arguably they are closer now than they have ever been since Fergie left, that is progress

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Ultimately Man-U want to win the league and arguably they are closer now than they have ever been since Fergie left, that is progress

Man U will struggle to finish top 3 next season with OGS as manager. A better manager and they'd have a real chance of the title. That's my opinion.

That's not the merits Man Utds leadership or their fans are measuring him towards, though. You're essentially acting like the pundits talking about Rafa playing defensive shit football and NUFC fans disliking that and we should want a more attacking manager because we're Newcastle. When you're a Newcastle fan that opinion makes no sense.

It's fairly obvious the main consideration that led to the OGS appointment was that they wanted a return to a style closer to the Sir Alex years and they got that, they got multiple broken positive records and a manager with a better league record than any manager they've had since Sir Alex. It's not hard to understand why Man Utd fans are pleased with feeling like "their" club is back. Now, that honeymoon period of restoration does not last forever and OGS needs to deliver more and more each year. 

At the end of the day, he's done remarkably well at Man Utd - all that is missing is a trophy.

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

Are they? I don’t think they have any chance of getting anywhere near the title under OGS. 

They haven’t so far.

They also finished on 81 points in 2nd place under Mourinho, better than OGS’s 74 this season.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Man U will struggle to finish top 3 next season with OGS as manager. A better manager and they'd have a real chance of the title. That's my opinion.

OGS has a better record than other Man Utd managers though, and he's broken multiple positive records. He's turned a previous one team league into a multiple team league and led a Norwegian team into Europe for the first time in ages during a time of massive recession in the Norwegian football league. He's not got major honors to his name, but it's just blind pettiness to write him off looking at the actual stats, facts and current expectations. It would be the same to call Barcelona idiots for appointing Guardiola or Dortmund idiots for appointing Klopp. He's only been at Man Utd for two and a half season and the turnaround has been exactly what the club/fans wanted to see.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Results aside, is there any evidence at all to suggest OGS is a top tier coach though?

"Results aside" :lol:

Anyway, just go by what players are saying about him as a man-manager. Haaland for instance is on record saying that if he had to choose between different sides in England to play for, he'd choose the one managed by OGS. Norway is a shit league so I know most people don't care, but what he did there would be like someone going to Hearts or Aberdeen and ending the Celtic domination.

Again, for the record, I don't particularly like OGS. He's an ex-Molde manager and ex-Man Utd player above all else. I just get annoyed to fuck at idiotic views that are based on pettiness and not reality, would be the same for any club/manager. 

1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

That's not the merits Man Utds leadership or their fans are measuring him towards, though. You're essentially acting like the pundits talking about Rafa playing defensive shit football and NUFC fans disliking that and we should want a more attacking manager because we're Newcastle. When you're a Newcastle fan that opinion makes no sense.

It's fairly obvious the main consideration that led to the OGS appointment was that they wanted a return to a style closer to the Sir Alex years and they got that, they got multiple broken positive records and a manager with a better league record than any manager they've had since Sir Alex. It's not hard to understand why Man Utd fans are pleased with feeling like "their" club is back. Now, that honeymoon period of restoration does not last forever and OGS needs to deliver more and more each year. 

At the end of the day, he's done remarkably well at Man Utd - all that is missing is a trophy.

“Remarkably well” :lol: Howay man. Your Norwegian allegiances are making you say some silly things.

As I’ve said multiple times, if Man Utd fans are happy with finishing 2nd - 4th every season, never winning a trophy but having good ‘spirit’. Good on them. Just seems bizarre they don’t want to be competitive.

For me it’s a great result keeping OGS, Man Utd remaining impotent would be delicious.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

They'll easily get top 4 imo and if they get 2-3 top players I think top 3 as well and maybe even challenge for the title 

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Are they? I don’t think they have any chance of getting anywhere near the title under OGS. 

They haven’t so far.

They also finished on 81 points in 2nd place under Mourinho, better than OGS’s 74 this season.

Aye but City finished 100 points that season, Man-U were never ever in it

At the turn of this year Man-U were in it

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Results aside, is there any evidence at all to suggest OGS is a top tier coach though?

I don't think he is a good coach however he seems to have something about him when it comes to man-management

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

They'll easily get top 4 imo and if they get 2-3 top players I think top 3 as well and maybe even challenge for the title 

Top 4 should be par for that squad regardless of manager, though. I don't think they'll get a season like last year where Chelsea & Liverpool are as bad as they were. They'll likely get 2-3 top level players this summer, they need a top tier manager to match.

1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

Again, for the record, I don't particularly like OGS. He's an ex-Molde manager and ex-Man Utd player above all else. I just get annoyed to fuck at idiotic views that are based on pettiness and not reality, would be the same for any club/manager. 

Seems a bit pathetic to call them ‘idiotic views’.

They’re also opinions built on facts and evidence, such as the poor records he’s smashed and lack of winning, rather than ‘pettiness’ and ‘not reality’.

“Remarkably well” :lol: Howay man. Your Norwegian allegiances are making you say some silly things.

As I’ve said multiple times, if Man Utd fans are happy with finishing 2nd - 4th every season, never winning a trophy but having good ‘spirit’. Good on them. Just seems bizarre they don’t want to be competitive.

For me it’s a great result keeping OGS, Man Utd remaining impotent would be delicious.

You don't understand what they want, that is the point I'm making. They were just in an EL final, for that matter, even if they didn't win. They wanted to have their club returned to them and have it be ran like it used to under Sir Alex, and not have a major distance between themselves and their club. They don't want a massive manager personality taking center stage or galactico signings. Over the two and a half seasons he's been there, he's totally revamped player and club culture and the fans are responding to that - buying him time to get the first trophy. It's almost like they were prepared to take some time off to rebuild so they can have a stronger base to compete over multiple years, which they now have. Now only time will tell if OGS is the right man to deliver on that base he's built or if they need someone else to do that.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Top 4 should be par for that squad regardless of manager, though. I don't think they'll get a season like last year where Chelsea & Liverpool are as bad as they were. They'll likely get 2-3 top level players this summer, they need a top tier manager to match.

He has to be given some credit for that squad though, he got rid of some deadwood and has slowly built it up and got players like Shaw performing at a level he's never done at Man-U

Seems a bit pathetic to call them ‘idiotic views’.

They’re also opinions built on facts and evidence, such as the poor records he’s smashed and lack of winning, rather than ‘pettiness’ and ‘not reality’.

Nope, the facts and evidence point the other way. Yes, there's been runs without wins, but on the grand scale those runs have not done much to his actual numbers. If you took the winning runs and losing runs and spread them normally across a season, neither one would be a talking point. The end all is that OGS is perceived poorly because he came straight to Man Utd from a "lesser" side and hadn't earned his stripes in the PFM merry-go-round and has thoughts above his station, we can't have that, get him out. Let's stick Pochettino in there, who has less honors on his resume just because he's managed in the PL before.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Give me some good reasons for why OGS doesn't qualify for a possible top tier manager, then.

2 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

"Results aside" :lol:

Anyway, just go by what players are saying about him as a man-manager. Haaland for instance is on record saying that if he had to choose between different sides in England to play for, he'd choose the one managed by OGS. Norway is a shit league so I know most people don't care, but what he did there would be like someone going to Hearts or Aberdeen and ending the Celtic domination.

Well yeah, the results driven narrative in this country means Klopp, for example, wouldn't have been given a sniff at a top four club. Dortmund recognised his coaching ability in spite of his results.

I saw a lot of OGS's spell at Cardiff and while they were somewhat doomed, there was nothing to suggest he would turn it around at any stage. Again at Man United there has been nothing to suggest he's got the ability to improve a player or that his in-game management is any good. Bruno looks to be crutch he's going to overly rely on.