Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

11 minutes ago, Wullie said:

It would be really terrible for clubs like us if they binned it. That Premier League limbo zone with nothing much to play for is depressing enough without one of the only possible trophies being taken away.

It's got next to no prestige though. Barely a rung up from the Pizza Cup.

Would much rather all efforts were put into restoring the FA Cup to what it once was.

25 minutes ago, Foluwashola said:

It's got next to no prestige though. Barely a rung up from the Pizza Cup.

Would much rather all efforts were put into restoring the FA Cup to what it once was.

Who cares? Full houses and memories aplenty for those that reach the business end.

By doing what? Only huge prize money/fines for not playing players who’ve made over x appearances/ making it free to enter for fans would make the slightest difference.

10 hours ago, Wullie said:

Man City treat it with such disdain that they've only won 6 of the last 8.

Because their second string is normally better than everyone else's. They still play reserve sides until close to the end. Just because one of the best and richest clubs in the world wins it doesn't mean they don't treat it with disdain, but you know this anyway. 

Obviously people will use this chance to have a go at us and Ole but reality is the bigger clubs don't care about the league cup, and the majority of fans don't either. 

I obviously have made my feelings clear and would prefer to put a bit more effort into the league cup, but at the same time I'd have been more upset with a draw at the weekend than the defeat last night. 

Edited by Froggy

7 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Because their second string is normally better than everyone else's. They still play reserve sides until close to the end. Just because one of the best and richest clubs in the world wins it doesn't mean they don't treat it with disdain, but you know this anyway. 

Obviously people will use this chance to have a go at us and Ole but reality is the bigger clubs don't care about the league cup, and the majority of fans don't either. 

I obviously have made my feelings clear and would prefer to put a bit more effort into the league cup, but at the same time I'd have been more upset with a draw at the weekend than the defeat last night. 

Saw a stat which I've not checked but your starting 11 cost something like £350m last night, despite having a few who had come through the academy. 

45 minutes ago, Froggy said:

The problem with your well considered analysis is that I (and everyone else) know this to be objectively false and I can look up the teams they put out and post them on here. Man City always play very strong League Cup teams, typically much stronger than their Champions League counterparts. That has been a well established fact for basically a decade.

Against Wycombe the other night, they played with a front 6 of Lavia (kid), De Bruyne, Mahrez, Torres, Sterling and Foden.

Against Preston last year, a third round front 6 of Foden, Gundogan, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Jesus and Sterling.

Against Oxford in 2019, in the third round, they didn't even bother rotating kids into the back four, team was Danilo, Kompany, Otamendi, Stones, Zinchenko, Mahrez, Foden, David Silva, Brahim Diaz, Jesus.

How far back do you want me to go? WBA, R3 2018, no sign of even a token youth player this time: Danilo, Stones, Mangala, Delph, Bernardo Silva, Yaya Toure, Gundogan, Sterling, Jesus, Sane.

These are not "reserve sides". If the bar for a disdainful reserve side is set at rotating a couple of kids into a team worth £300m+ then we've lost all sense of what words mean.  

Just because you say something (in some weird attempt to defend even the mildest criticism of Manchester United) doesn't make it true.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

Against Wycombe the other night, they played with a front 6 of Lavia (kid), De Bruyne, Mahrez, Torres, Sterling and Foden

You write out an essay as if you're 100% correct, but lets look a little deeper. First off lets address the fact that you've completely ignored the back 5 last night (kids/debutants/reserves) and decided to focus on the front 6, one of which was also a kid as you've pointed out. So before we even start there's 6 out of the starting 11 who have either never played a game for Man City or are backups at best.

De Bruyne - coming back from injury. Never in a million years would have played that game if he started at the weekend. It was a run out for him to gain match fitness. 

Mahrez - started 1 league game this season

Torres - a starter

Sterling - started 2 league games this season and been piss poor. 

Foden - coming back from injury. Played 39 minutes this season in total.

You're looking at names and names only. That was a second string side for City last night, peppered with players who need confidence or minutes to recover from injury. The only player on that starting 11 who has actually been a starter for them this season was Torres.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

Against Preston last year, a third round front 6 of Foden, Gundogan, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Jesus and Sterling.

Preston were knocked out in the third round last year by Brighton. Man City played Bournemouth, with a front 6 of not even close to the one you mentioned. Don't need to go into detail on this one as you've got it so wildly wrong.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

Against Oxford in 2019, in the third round, they didn't even bother rotating kids into the back four, team was Danilo, Kompany, Otamendi, Stones, Zinchenko, Mahrez, Foden, David Silva, Brahim Diaz, Jesus.

2018, they played Oxford in 2019 in the quarter final, with the team full of back up players.

No they didn't rotate kids into the back four. They played Danilo (only started 9 games that season), Kompany (17 starts), Otamendi (14 starts) and Stones (He started 20 games, just over half, so I can let you away with this one). You have said, "the team was", and mentioned 10 players, missing the keeper, who was a kid. 

Zinchenko - 14 starts.

Foden - 3 starts

Mahrez - 14 starts

SIlva - starter

Diaz - 0 starts

Jesus - 8 starts

Once again, pretty much a complete second string. Most of the players in that team barely played 1 in 3 league games.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

WBA, R3 2018, no sign of even a token youth player this time: Danilo, Stones, Mangala, Delph, Bernardo Silva, Yaya Toure, Gundogan, Sterling, Jesus, Sane.

This was 2017.

Bravo - 2 starts

Danilo - 13 starts

Stones - 16 starts

Mangala - 4 starts (loaned to Everton a couple of months later)

Delph - 21 starts, can give you this one as him and Danilo rotated at left back

Bernado Silva - 15 starts

Yaya Toure - 1 start (left the club that summer)

Gundogan - 15 starts

Sterling - starter

Jesus - 19 starts, 50% of games so can give you this one too

Sane - starter

So only 4 of those players started over 50% of games in the league that season. Again, it's pretty much a second string side, just showing the depth Man City have had.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

How far back do you want me to go?

Based on this, much further.

I would like to fire back at you that just because you say something doesn't make it true. Literally. You don't even have your matches and years right and you're trying to talk me down like I'm completely incorrect.

@HTT II @ManDoon @Optimistic Nut @neesy111feel free to like this post which has provided you with actual facts.

Anyone who doesn't think the bigger clubs use this competition to blood youth and give back up players some minutes has their head buried in the sand.

Edited by Froggy

Wullie said they pick very strong sides in League Cup and he’s correct. Even with an inexperienced back line they were very strong, it was a side that would blitz the team up against them. If they were playing a PL team he’d had probably went more experience at the back but against Wycombe, he picked a team that’d stroll it.

You're right that I have the years wrong, I used the year of the final instead of the year of the third round tie. Oh no! That makes David Silva a reserve player!

See, people would have more respect for you if you just went "ah yeah they do pick strong sides actually, fair enough, they're the big exception", instead of trying to claim that Riyad Mahrez, who they paid £60m for, counts as a reserve, whose very presence on the field shows disdain for the competition. You just make yourself look bloody ridiculous. 

Some clubs (Newcastle) have to play their first team because anything else will lose to almost anyone. Therefore if they don’t you have to conclude that they’ve decided to prioritise survival over trophies. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

19 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Wullie said they pick very strong sides in League Cup and he’s correct. Even with an inexperienced back line they were very strong, it was a side that would blitz the team up against them. If they were playing a PL team he’d had probably went more experience at the back but against Wycombe, he picked a team that’d stroll it.

I never said their sides weren't strong

I said and proved that they use second string or back up players. It just proves my point their depth is ridiculous. 

I am sure Pep and Ole put out teams they think will win the game, but if the goal was to win the league cup this season it would have been the same 11 as the weekend. The competition is deemed less important than 3 points in the premier league. 

17 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Kante started for Chelsea last night, do you think Tuchel would risk him if he simply didn’t care about the competition? 

Klopp is one who literally doesn’t care and sends his assistant to the games, but the rest? Nah. 

Kante played to get minutes as he's just back from injury. He played 45 at the weekend and was taken off at half time last night when the game was still 0-0 so not sure about your point. I addressed this when speaking about De Bruyne. 

Kante would never have played if he was match fit, neither would De Bruyne. 

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

That same season you mention stones, he started their first 4 CL games until he got injured. So was pep not bothered about beating Napoli? That logic doesn’t follow at all 

I mentioned everybody so I wouldn't be seen to be cherry picking stats. 

The big clubs use the league cup to give back up players, youth players and players returning from injury minutes. There's no denying it. It is only when clubs get until the semi final do they field a full strength side and sometimes not even then. 

I don't know how anyone could look at our first 11 last night and even West Hams for that matter and see how either of the sides seen it as a priority. 

The game at the weekend is more important. It's clear as day. 

Also, again, that isn't the way I want it to be. 

2 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

wtf are you all arguing about man :lol:

Some cup competition we never ever ever give a fuck about, I think…

So any club that rotates its squad for any competition (despite the fact these clubs have ~70 games a season to play, and a squad of at least 25 players to keep happy) is then showing disdain for that competition.

12 minutes ago, Froggy said:

but if the goal was to win the league cup this season it would have been the same 11 as the weekend.

This is amongst the maddest shit I've ever read on here, from someone who purports to know about football. Any change to a team from one game to the next is a signal of contempt, that the goal is not to win that competition.  Liverpool played Divock Origi last week against Milan, and Sadio Mane was on the bench. Froggy thinks this shows Klopp has disregarded the Champions League. 

And why does he think this? All part of some bizarre push back at someone posting that they were amused at Man United getting knocked out of the League Cup, like anyone gives a stuff.

OGS has done a good job for Man Utd all things considered IMO, but they need to ditch him ASAP if they want to seriously contend for major honours, even shitty league cups…

13 minutes ago, Wullie said:

This is amongst the maddest shit I've ever read on here, from someone who purports to know about football. Any change to a team from one game to the next is a signal of contempt, that the goal is not to win that competition.  Liverpool played Divock Origi last week against Milan, and Sadio Mane was on the bench. Froggy thinks this shows Klopp has disregarded the Champions League

I am well aware there can be minor changes to a starting 11, I should have said similar team and not same team but fair enough. 7 of the 11 that Liverpool played against Leeds played against Milan, and it likely would have been 8 if Elliot didn't get injured. 

There is a huge difference in that and playing a complete second string. But again, you know this. Keep having little jabs though in regards to my knowledge of football. 

I don't think anyone is trying to say that Man City see the league Cup as their main priority, but from there it's a pretty massive leap to say they treat it with contempt ffs :lol:

Even Man U brought on two of their best players yesterday in trying to come back into the game, if Ole didn't give a shit he would have brought on some random kids instead.