Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

There was a brief moment, I think start of 2nd half where they lost the ball deep in Chelsea territory against the low block and they counter-pressed right away and won it back while Chelsea were trying to break and I thought Pep had worked it out but then they just never did that.  That was the way to beat them imo, a leaf out of Klopps book - if they play that well you can't break through you have to win it back when they're out of position to open things up for yourself, but for whatever reason they never managed it.

I thought the reasoning behind the 4-6-0 formation with no DM was to strangle Chelsea through a good high press, and a lot of the time Chelsea found it very difficult to build an attack. The trouble was, that on the occasions that Chelsea did break through, the City back four was very exposed - and no more clearly than for the goal.

Chelsea are very good at beating a high press, and I think Pep tried to take it out of their armoury. But when you're playing a team with anything like Chelsea's quality, you can't completely nullify them. 

Having said all that, it was a close game that could have gone either way. Losing De Bruyne was a real blow. But maybe City were also hampered by a bit of over-thinking on Pep's part.

3 hours ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

stopped at "while Conte was revolutionising the PL"

fucking worthless

'Revolutionised' is a bit strong but he had a big impact. No one had played 3-2-X-X for ages till Conte came in and did it with Chelsea; then it seemed everyone was (including us eventually). 

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, duo said:

Respect

Better than Makalele for me and one of the best individuals to have ever played in the Premier League, what a player, what a story and what a man/person too. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

De Bruyne fractured his nose and eye socket :sad:

Saw that, I felt at the time it was an unnecessarily heavy, dangerous block and that VAR might have suggested a red. He could have just stepped across his path but instead clearly wanted to leave one on him. It was a naughty one.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Better than Makalele for me and one of the best individuals to have ever played in the Premier League, what a player, what a story and what a man/person too. 

Best defensive midfielder I’ve seen in my life. 

1 hour ago, Astroblack said:

Best defensive midfielder I’ve seen in my life. 

He’s probably on a similar level to Busquets imo - both could not be more different too as DMs so very hard to pick one 

I still can't believe how wrong Pep got it last night.

In the league, Cancelo will step into midfield and him and Rodri will form the base of their attack. Without them Gundogen and Bernardo were having to drop very deep, meaning they were completely nullified in the final third.

It seems Pep thought he could nullify Chelsea with the high press, but without Cancelo or Rodri, as soon as Chelsea broke the midfield line, Werner and Havertz had a free run at the City back line. It was a bold call, but he got it totally wrong.

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

I was in awe of his performance yesterday. I also agree 100% on the Makelele comment. Maybe it is recency bias, but referring to Kante to as playing the Makelele role, is a disservice to Kante. Kante is way more influential than Makelele ever was. One of the main reasons, Sarri and Lampard are out of jobs is that they did not know how to properly use him. 

Edited by rgk_lfc

Chelsea are building up quite a pedigree in Europe. Two CL wins and two UEFA cup wins in the last 10-11 years. While regularly picking up premier league titles. They seem to have gotten their transfers in order also, with the exception of Kepa. Targeting younger players. Top quality youth prospects coming through. Their success in Europe, especially the manner of the win yesterday, will give them confidence in the future.