Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

I'd love for us to be like Leicester. Nothing crazy, just progressing every season.

I know right. Just really smart decent signings that the manager gets the most out of and improves.

Guest HTT II
15 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

I'd love for us to be like Leicester. Nothing crazy, just progressing every season.

Ultimate club, so well ran and likeable, they’ve won the PL, FA Cup and Charity Shield in the last few years. Amazing achievement. 

Guest HTT II

I’ve never gotten why anyone would buy PSG, as great a city as Paris is, one of my fave places on Earth, it’s a dead league and more people will globally say watch NUFC play a random PL game than PSG vs whoever. For all of your Neymar, Mbappe and potentially Messi, even if they win a CL, they will never have that kind of appeal an Ajax will, infinitely less more than a Man Utd. Just don’t do it Lionel…

Edited by HTT II

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’ve never gotten why anyone would buy PSG, as great a city as Paris is, one of my fave places on Earth, it’s a dead league and more people will globally say watch NUFC play a random PL game than PSG vs whoever. For all of your Neymar, Mbappe and potentially Messi, even if they win a CL, they will never have that kind of appeal an Ajax will, infinitely less more than a Man Utd. Just don’t do it Lionel…

Problem he has is unless he takes a massive wage cut then his options are tiny. I'm assuming he's weighed it all up and PSG, as scummy as they are, offer him a good team, can afford to give him what he's asking for and the chance of winning leagues, cups and a genuine tilt at the CL for the next couple of years. It's not the move I'd have made personally, if I'm comfortably financially then I'd be looking for the challenge pov and accept a massive hit on wages. Sign for someone close to his heart or a club he adores back home maybe? PSG ticks most of his boxes and it's obviously the best option he has plumped for. 

Bit of a shit end to his career imo but it's his decision. 

Guest neesy111

The timing of what has happened hasn't helped Messi.  If this was in May, he'd have so many more options.

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

I’m not so sure like, they are able to have half a dozen kits a year, most of which they don’t ply in and sell a fuck load in merchandise.

Guest HTT II
8 hours ago, Stifler said:

I’m not so sure like, they are able to have half a dozen kits a year, most of which they don’t ply in and sell a fuck load in merchandise.

Aye because of Neymar and Mbappe, as a club though if you’re their now owners they’d be way down on the list of a club to want to buy surely? Again it’s a dead league in terms of true competition and it ever becoming equal or close to say the PL, Serie A or La Liga.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Aye because of Neymar and Mbappe, as a club though if you’re their now owners they’d be way down on the list of a club to want to buy surely? Again it’s a dead league in terms of true competition and it ever becoming equal or close to say the PL, Serie A or La Liga.

I agree with you that they are a nothing club in a virtually dead league, all I’m saying is they in terms of merchandise and as a brand have turned them into something.

They are a club who were created in the 60’s and have virtually no history aside from being the club to being Ronaldinho to Europe, although they were close to selling him to us at one point.

Maybe they are playing in a dead/easy league, but maybe that’s what they wanted? This way unlike in the Premier League they have no competition, they will almost certainly will win all the titles and qualify for the Champions League.

Alongside this, France and in particular Paris have some of the highest levels of tourism in Europe, and regularly surpass that of London and the U.K. In this aspect they have a large market of day trippers to come to a match, and buy Paris/PSG related merchandise.

In hindsight buying an Ajax, Benfica, Olympiacos, Roma, or Celtic/Rangers may have been easier and had a waiting fan base, but since they have bought them they have done well to turn them into a brand and which you can arguably say surpasses the likes of the likes of Real Madrid, Barca, and Man Utd, despite not having the history and past success of those clubs.

Edited by Stifler

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I agree with you that they are a nothing club in a virtually dead league, all I’m saying is they in terms of merchandise and as a brand have turned them into something.

They are a club who were created in the 60’s and virtually no history aside from being the club to being Ronaldinho to Europe, although they were close to selling him to us at one point.

Maybe they are playing in a dead/east league, but maybe thats what they wanted? This way unlike in the Premier League they have no competition, they will almost certainly win all the titles and qualify for the Champions League.

Alongside this, France and in particular Paris have some of the highest levels of tourism in Europe, and regularly surpass that of London and the U.K. In this aspect they have a large market of day trippers to come to a match, and buy Paris/PSG related merchandise.

In hindsight buying an Ajax, Benfica, Olympiacos, Roma, or Celtic/Rangers may have been easier and had a waiting fan base, but since they have bought them they have done well to turn them into a brand and which you can arguably say surpasses the likes of the likes of Real Madrid, Barca, and Man Utd, despite not having the history and past success of those clubs.

Good post thanks, I just can’t get my head around them buying PSG and the massive investment in them made even if they sell loads of merchandise and Paris is a major tourism trap. It’s one of my fave cities, I proposed to my now wife at the top of the Eiffel Tower while pregnant with our now 9 year old there, and honestly, it never once felt like a footballing City at all, in that regard, it was soulless. Obviously that was pre Neymar, Mbappe, their new owners etc. and I haven’t been back since, but friends of mine who have, say the same, it’s like a franchise club has been created/moved there. Messi moving there would be such a shame, I’d rather him at City for example or Chelsea.

Says a lot about football that the world's best player will basically take the money and effectively retire.

He could have done any number of other things; joined Juventus to play with Ronaldo, joined City/Chelsea and had a crack at the other best league in the world, gone back to Argentina for nostalgic reasons. He could have stayed at Barca and taken a small wage.

Money shouldn't be in the equation either, the guy is a gazillionair, who's got a couple seasons left in him. 

8 minutes ago, STM said:

Says a lot about football that the world's best player will basically take the money and effectively retire.

He could have done any number of other things; joined Juventus to play with Ronaldo, joined City/Chelsea and had a crack at the other best league in the world, gone back to Argentina for nostalgic reasons. He could have stayed at Barca and taken a small wage.

Money shouldn't be in the equation either, the guy is a gazillionair, who's got a couple seasons left in him. 

As I understand it (though I stand to be corrected), he couldn't. Barca are already over the new La Liga salary cap even if he played for free, they are not allowed to put him back on the books. 

Some serious hyperbole though, PSG aren't even the French champions, he's not effectively retiring. He wants another Champions League and they're certainly the best available opportunity for that. 

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

As I understand it (though I stand to be corrected), he couldn't. Barca are already over the new La Liga salary cap even if he played for free, they are not allowed to put him back on the books. 

Some serious hyperbole though, PSG aren't even the French champions, he's not effectively retiring. He wants another Champions League and they're certainly the best available opportunity for that. 

Considering how good he is you could probably argue that if he'd joined one of half a dozen or so teams, that team would represent the best available opportunity of winning the CL - it didn't have to be PSG, who conveniently represent the best marketing opportunities. I know their squad is fucking unreal at the moment but are they unquestionably above the likes of Atletico, Bayern, four of the English 'big six', Juventus, Inter in an extremely competitive knockout situation, and again bearing in mind how much Messi would elevate whichever team he joined?

Not so much an argument as a question really, I haven't followed the Champions League for years tbh (but determined to change that this season depending on how much I wanna fork out). 

Tbf to Messi maybe he's more than earned the opportunity to join whichever team he fucking chooses and fuck the lot of us, cos he's the best ever and bollocks to justifying himself. If he wants to play alongside Neymar, Mbappe, Donnarumma, Icardi, Gini and Idrissa Gueye, then maybe he should without any of us questioning it. It's just a bit meh as the neutral observer. 

29 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Considering how good he is you could probably argue that if he'd joined one of half a dozen or so teams, that team would represent the best available opportunity of winning the CL - it didn't have to be PSG, who conveniently represent the best marketing opportunities. I know their squad is fucking unreal at the moment but are they unquestionably above the likes of Atletico, Bayern, four of the English 'big six', Juventus, Inter in an extremely competitive knockout situation, and again bearing in mind how much Messi would elevate whichever team he joined?

Not so much an argument as a question really, I haven't followed the Champions League for years tbh (but determined to change that this season depending on how much I wanna fork out). 

Tbf to Messi maybe he's more than earned the opportunity to join whichever team he fucking chooses and fuck the lot of us, cos he's the best ever and bollocks to justifying himself. If he wants to play alongside Neymar, Mbappe, Donnarumma, Icardi, Gini and Idrissa Gueye, then maybe he should without any of us questioning it. It's just a bit meh as the neutral observer. 

A lot of those clubs would require him to put a serious shift in domestically, some of them couldn't afford him unless he takes a huge cut and some of them simply wouldn't present a good enough opportunity for a CL (I don't give the Italian clubs a cat in hell's chance). He'll definitely have his eye on the World Cup next December as well. PSG is by far and away the biggest opportunity to be able to both win the CL and not put that much football in his legs before then (the only other would be Bayern but they have quite a strict wage policy I believe). 

Re: the CL, you can get BT Sport in a TV/broadband package with Virgin for under 50 quid, I used to pay more than that with Sky with no sport.

Completely agree with Wullie. For himself and his career there isn't a better decision to make. I understand we'd all love to see him in the PL, but that was never going to happen. Now he can focus on the Champions League and the World Cup.