Wine

Lazarus

So im getting a bit bored with my usual lager and southern comforts selection and wanted to try a selection of wines.

Ive tried the yellowtail merlot and the gallo white zinfandel so far.

The merlot was a bit on the dry side for my pallette but nice enough and could be sipped slowly.

The zinfandel was like alcopops back in the day and i guzzled it like water.

Can any one reccomend something in the middle? Something sweet enough for my pallette but with enough 'bite' that it has to be drunk slowly?

Ive heard good things about 19 crimes wine - any good?

So im getting a bit bored with my usual lager and southern comforts selection and wanted to try a selection of wines.

The merlot was a bit on the dry side for my pallette but nice enough and could be sipped slowly.

Can any one reccomend something in the middle? Something sweet enough for my pallette but with enough 'bite' that it has to be drunk slowly?

Pinot Noir would be my recommendation.

Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon is a good value red. Goes down a treat. On offer at Asda at the moment so it works out £5-6 a bottle.

I'm a fan of Malbec but I find it too robust unless it's alongside a meal. Pulenta Estates is a cracker.

For whites, any Malborough NZ Sauvignon Blanc above £9-10 a bottle should be decent.

19 crimes overrated and there is more than one.

Try this...

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/all-wine/apothic-winemakers-blend-red-75cl?src=ppc&gclid=CjwKCAjwoc_8BRAcEiwAzJevtShBMobaYVN4QfEhGbwJIAQMxrDZRCqF4n5GtwZPFBK0ya330nHPXBoCbL0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Full bodied but very smooth.

Tempranillo is an easy drink. First step towards enjoying banging Riojas, too.

This is very good advice :thup:

Tempranillo is fantastic in reds when it's on it's own or as a blend with the likes of Garnacha/Grenache. The best advice I can give you with Spanish reds is try them from youngest to oldest, so go Crianza, Reserva and Gran Reserva. They are aged longer and get more refined (and expensive) as you go up that list. Crianza, at least in the ones I've tried have been more tangy/fruity so that might be a good starter for you if you want a bit of 'bite' when it comes to the Spanish wines.

If that doesn't have enough bite try a Shiraz/Syrah, I find them a bit too acidic for my taste but they certainly don't lack for bite!

But honestly try a straight Tempranillo first. Go download the Vivino app, you can scan the labels of wines and it gives you the characteristics of the wine like the one in the spoiler below. Obviously it's quite subjective but I find it's a good base once you've found your wine niche  O0

Screenshot-20201024-223939.jpg

Tempranillo is an easy drink. First step towards enjoying banging Riojas, too.

This is very good advice :thup:

Tempranillo is fantastic in reds when it's on it's own or as a blend with the likes of Garnacha/Grenache. The best advice I can give you with Spanish reds is try them from youngest to oldest, so go Crianza, Reserva and Gran Reserva. They are aged longer and get more refined (and expensive) as you go up that list. Crianza, at least in the ones I've tried have been more tangy/fruity so that might be a good starter for you if you want a bit of 'bite' when it comes to the Spanish wines.

If that doesn't have enough bite try a Shiraz/Syrah, I find them a bit too acidic for my taste but they certainly don't lack for bite!

But honestly try a straight Tempranillo first. Go download the Vivino app, you can scan the labels of wines and it gives you the characteristics of the wine like the one in the spoiler below. Obviously it's quite subjective but I find it's a good base once you've found your wine niche  O0

Screenshot-20201024-223939.jpg

These are the correct answers :thup:

Given the four markers here (lager, Southern Comfort; Gallo Rose and merlot) something fairly soft and sweet for a wine would seem like the thing you are looking for as a stepping stone. Some possible things that are mellow whilst still having nice flavours - and potentially being a good pathway into other wines - would be:

Lidl Clairette de Die (white, sparkling and sweet - but the fizz and acidity cut the sweetness to some extent)

an Anjou Rose (a bit more 'wine flavoured' than a Gallo Rose, and a bit less sweet)

A Beaujolais - not a nouveau, but anything else will do. (Red and fruity, and whilst not sweet, the way it is made mellows the harsher acids, so it is smooth.) 

A chilled sherry or port may also be an interesting starting point. Supermarket own brand half bottles tend to made by very reputable producers.

All this wine nonsense! You get all these wine people, don't you? Wine this, wine that. Let's have a bit of red, let's have a bit of white. Ooh, that's a snazzy bouquet. Oh, this smells of, I don't know, basil. Sometimes you just want to say, sod all this wine, just give me a pint of, mineral water.

Given the four markers here (lager, Southern Comfort; Gallo Rose and merlot) something fairly soft and sweet for a wine would seem like the thing you are looking for as a stepping stone. Some possible things that are mellow whilst still having nice flavours - and potentially being a good pathway into other wines - would be:

Lidl Clairette de Die (white, sparkling and sweet - but the fizz and acidity cut the sweetness to some extent)

an Anjou Rose (a bit more 'wine flavoured' than a Gallo Rose, and a bit less sweet)

A Beaujolais - not a nouveau, but anything else will do. (Red and fruity, and whilst not sweet, the way it is made mellows the harsher acids, so it is smooth.) 

A chilled sherry or port may also be an interesting starting point. Supermarket own brand half bottles tend to made by very reputable producers.

Go for a Gamay.

Anything by JP Mouiex

Completely agree with Pinot, Tempranillo and a good Rioja is amazing.

If you want Merlot the Chilean ones were good but that was a while ago.

In terms of Aus/NZ most NZ reds are good but if you can find a Pinot over there from South Australia Or especially Tasmania, Yarra Valley or Mornington Peninsula you cant go wrong.

Lots of Rioja votes, so a quick note that Decantalo, Vinissimus and Gourmet Hunters - the Spanish mail order companies that currently deliver to the UK - will probably be inaccessible post-Brexit given the proposed changes to VAT/duty/tariffs.