The number of people that can't see any alternative to wacthing TV is alarming.

Yeah, and he does all that too. He's currently sat on his bed having a teddies tea party (after I've just sat and read two books with him). Unfortunately though, he's 4. His attention span is fairly short.

Perhaps I could leave him to bake a cake, or go for a bike ride on his own, or read (oh yeah, he's only just learning how to actually do that). Come on, let's have the "not TV" alternatives.

There are nearly 13 hours to fill for him every day.

Have kids, stan? It's about occupying them whilst you do what you need to do. It's not about making them watch the TV, but getting a fucking minute to yourself so you can do what's needed to be done.

Some parents are lucky, their kids are content to play with toys. Some aren't.

Guessing he doesn't work as well.  I don't know how you could work from home and also look after kids without having something for them to do.

I did it from the end of January 2020 to June.  It was brutal even with my reduced workload.  No idea how someone trying to do 8 hours a day work could do it without either driving themselves mental or working crazy overtime.

Bake a cake. :lol:

Have kids, stan? It's about occupying them whilst you do what you need to do. It's not about making them watch the TV, but getting a fucking minute to yourself so you can do what's needed to be done.

Guessing he doesn't work as well.  I don't know how you could work from home and also look after kids without having something for them to do.

I did it from the end of January 2020 to June.  It was brutal even with my reduced workload.  No idea how someone trying to do 8 hours a day work could do it without either driving themselves mental or working crazy overtime.

The wife and I have this sorted - I drive myself mental and she works crazy hours. Teamwork.

I'm having a mental breakdown just trying to get her to do her school work, not quite working but got care duties for elder family members and my partner pretty much refuses to do it. I'm probably actually expecting too much, and her rate of work is no doubt similar to what it would be in class, but I can't keep up with the rate they're dishing stuff out. All it's making me think is "this is how far the essential worker kids must be in class so better fucking keep up or she's a dunce", but all it does it compound you with shame and anxiety when we can't catch up. I hate this whole set up, and the rotten assumption that it should work. If homeschooling was so fucking easy, they'd have been sending textbooks home decades ago.

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't give him the satisfaction of responding to his shit bait.

This

You’re the man @9Shearergol[/member] I couldn’t work from home while home schooling!

Thankfully the wife can :lol: although she’s back on furlough, she’s training to be a teacher and using her course work and the boys being off school as double training

I'm having a mental breakdown just trying to get her to do her school work, not quite working but got care duties for elder family members and my partner pretty much refuses to do it. I'm probably actually expecting too much, and her rate of work is no doubt similar to what it would be in class, but I can't keep up with the rate they're dishing stuff out. All it's making me think is "this is how far the essential worker kids must be in class so better fucking keep up or she's a dunce", but all it does it compound you with shame and anxiety when we can't catch up. I hate this whole set up, and the rotten assumption that it should work. If homeschooling was so fucking easy, they'd have been sending textbooks home decades ago.

The Mrs spends a large chunk of her day (and evenings) on calls and emails with parents trying to manage the workload. People who want their kids to have more work, people worried they aren't getting through it in time. Occasionally parents demanding more work be set when the kid in question hasn't even attempted what's already been set.

It's entirely possible that your school has been bombarded by alpha parents beasting their kids at home in the belief this will get them 'ahead of the game' and making them miserable in the process and they are responding by increasing workload.

The number of people that can't see any alternative to wacthing TV is alarming.

Yeah, and he does all that too. He's currently sat on his bed having a teddies tea party (after I've just sat and read two books with him). Unfortunately though, he's 4. His attention span is fairly short.

Perhaps I could leave him to bake a cake, or go for a bike ride on his own, or read (oh yeah, he's only just learning how to actually do that). Come on, let's have the "not TV" alternatives.

There are nearly 13 hours to fill for him every day.

Sorry mate, you didn't make any of that clear. It sounded like he was watching TV because you were unable to engage him due to work. You have my full support I just think  watching 6 hours of TV is harmful to a child [which you at least appear to have the sense to recognise] and I don't believe it's that difficult to avoid. If a kid can't handle not having the TV then the parents already have a problem.

Everybody else that jumped in with "Whatever else is there to do?" can get tae fuck.

The Mrs spends a large chunk of her day (and evenings) on calls and emails with parents trying to manage the workload. People who want their kids to have more work, people worried they aren't getting through it in time. Occasionally parents demanding more work be set when the kid in question hasn't even attempted what's already been set.

It's entirely possible that your school has been bombarded by alpha parents beasting their kids at home in the belief this will get them 'ahead of the game' and making them miserable in the process and they are responding by increasing workload.

Aye well, funny you mention that cause when I try to crack the whip she just crumbles and refuses to work one way or another, a tantrum, spite, genuinely not sure what to do, no idea. So I need to back off and shout from afar. :lol:

Pretty much tried beasting it, but I'm too soft. :blush:

Feels like we are a loooooonnnng way off any real return to 'normality' given they are soon to announce Australian style compulsory isolation for returning Brits should we travel abroad.

That feels like very much a medium term call.

Surely a death knell for many in the travel industry, eh neesy111[/member] ?

Whilst shops/restaurants might be back online as the cases drop through the trio of lockdown, vaccination and better weather that still means, for the most part, we are stuck in the UK until the travel rules are relaxed and I can't see that being the case until, globally, other nations catch up with their vaccination programme roll out............

This just feels relentless. The holiday is the light at the end of the tunnel for so many people.

Insane there’s still much chatter, and not just from the opposition, about people not being able to self isolate becuase they’d be fucked financially so aren’t they taking tests when they have symptoms etc. We’ve been at this for nearly a fucking year.

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't give him the satisfaction of responding to his shit bait.

This. Absolutely this.

GM  :smitten:

Feels like we are a loooooonnnng way off any real return to 'normality' given they are soon to announce Australian style compulsory isolation for returning Brits should we travel abroad.

Whilst shops/restaurants might be back online as the cases drop through the trio of lockdown, vaccination and better weather that still means, for the most part, we are stuck in the UK until the travel rules are relaxed and I can't see that being the case until, globally, other nations catch up with their vaccination programme roll out............

This just feels relentless. The holiday is the light at the end of the tunnel for so many people.

The innate eternal pessimist in me has long been predicting that we're going to be locked into this hell for a long, long time if not forever.

I don't think expecting life to 'return to normal', i.e. as it was before Covid-19, is either likely or reasonable to expect.

It's like getting a cancer diagnosis and expecting life to get back to normal just as soon as you've completed your chemo/radiotherapy. Feels to me like ridding ourselves of this nightmare virus is overreaching. The best we can do is probably just to push it back and hold it at bay, even with a vaccine.

Lockdown 1 I looked after the kids(2 year old and 1 year old) 7-3 whilst the Mrs worked (her employers being very inflexible with hours), got a couple of hours in until 5 and then worked 7-3.

Lasted 6 weeks and we used the key worker card to get them into nursery.

Aye well, funny you mention that cause when I try to crack the whip she just crumbles and refuses to work one way or another, a tantrum, spite, genuinely not sure what to do, no idea. So I need to back off and shout from afar. :lol:

How much live work are they doing and is there an established feedback pattern?

I think its important to bear in mind that the scale of impact on education means we can't just go back to the old curriculum as if nothing happened. There will have to be concerted effort over a long period of time to ensure the net impact is mitigated as much as possible (now this again requires that foresight so lacking in Govt- really this should be looked at now- but they will wait until the summer and expect schools to put it all together in six weeks).

It honestly boils my piss how badly this has been done.

The innate eternal pessimist in me has long been predicting that we're going to be locked into this hell for a long, long time if not forever.

I don't think expecting life to 'return to normal', i.e. as it was before Covid-19, is either likely or reasonable to expect.

It's like getting a cancer diagnosis and expecting life to get back to normal just as soon as you've completed your chemo/radiotherapy. Feels to me like ridding ourselves of this nightmare virus is overreaching. The best we can do is probably just to push it back and hold it at bay, even with a vaccine.

You’re telling me I’m never going on holiday abroad ever again? Never going to concerts? Eating out? Cinema?

You’re telling me I’m never going on holiday abroad ever again? Never going to concerts? Eating out? Cinema?

Me and the Ocado driver.

No. More nuanced than that. Think it's likely we'll be required to have proof of vaccination before travelling abroad, for quite some time to come. Will be interesting to see how the issue of other things such as letting people go to theatres, cinema, concerts, restaurants etc it is mishandled by this incompetent, corrupt government.Can't wait.

How much live work are they doing and is there an established feedback pattern?

I think its important to bear in mind that the scale of impact on education means we can't just go back to the old curriculum as if nothing happened. There will have to be concerted effort over a long period of time to ensure the net impact is mitigated as much as possible (now this again requires that foresight so lacking in Govt- really this should be looked at now- but they will wait until the summer and expect schools to put it all together in six weeks).

It honestly boils my piss how badly this has been done.

Zero live work, all just dumped on a Monday morning, do at your own pace sort of thing. Which makes it feel even worse when you don't keep up. :lol:

Feedback on what you submit, but not clear on what they want to begin with. There's clearly written work to be done, but cunts are just letting their kids 'write' on the tablets and send that in. It's absurd. Unless that's a new normal I'm unaware of. For the record, my kid is still mastering writing so feel it's important she's not scribbling with her fingertip on a fucking screen. What with only having half a year of P1.

• Yorkie changed the title to COVID-19 [ph]