1 minute ago, SEMTEX said:

Are these AZ blood clots more common in younger women ala J&J?

Yes.  Both vaccines use the same technology, so it's probably the same cause.  I'd put money on it that the same thing's happening with Sputnik, but Russia are keeping quiet.

2 minutes ago, Troll said:

Yes.  Both vaccines use the same technology, so it's probably the same cause.  I'd put money on it that the same thing's happening with Sputnik, but Russia are keeping quiet.

Assume there's also studies going on about how many of those young women have been taking birth control pills?

5 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Assume there's also studies going on about how many of those young women have been taking birth control pills?

Not sure.  It's not just young women though, it does still affect older women and men too.  My guess would be that it's caused by an immune reaction, and women generally have stronger immune systems than men, and younger people have stronger immune systems than older people.

16 hours ago, neesy111 said:

Apparently some German scientists have identified the proteins that may cause the clotting, hasn't been published yet though.

Just read their study.  They've basically proposed a mechanism by which the vaccine could be causing blood clots, based on work they've done in the lab.  It's not definitive proof (all their research has been inside test tubes and not humans), but I can't see anything in their paper that I really disagree with.  If they're right, they think it should be possible to alter the vaccines to prevent this from happening.

Posted (edited)

And people are out there criticizing Boris when him and his dad are making vaccines!!!!!111!!!!!!

Edited by TBG

Just been Pfizered for the first time. Happy days. Feel knackered but I got about 4 hours sleep last night so it's probably just that.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just been Pfizered for the first time. Happy days. Feel knackered but I got about 4 hours sleep last night so it's probably just that.

The lack of sleep + the tracker kicking in.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

The lack of sleep + the tracker kicking in.

This is genuine but since I had my vaccine my phone takes a 3 seconds to connect when I call people after they answer.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but it is a huawei phone so I think it's too much of a coincidence.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They definitely wouldn't be safe. 

Perfectly suited for making the electorate feel a prick.

Cases are increasing at an alarming rate now, over 4,000 today, nearly double last week - it's got a horrible feel to it seeing them gradually going up again, feels just like last time. I think it's a given 21st June isnt happening now, I'm just worried we might step back further, indoor mixing in pubs etc being banned by next weekend I imagine.

2 minutes ago, NUFCDoog said:

Cases are increasing at an alarming rate now, over 4,000 today, nearly double last week - it's got a horrible feel to it seeing them gradually going up again, feels just like last time. I think it's a given 21st June isnt happening now, I'm just worried we might step back further, indoor mixing in pubs etc being banned by next weekend I imagine.

But hospitalisations and deaths are the key, and the figures for those are still falling, are they not, despite cases of the variant increasing?

I've no doubt 21st June will be pushed back now, but not convinced (yet) that it should.

3 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

But hospitalisations and deaths are the key, and the figures for those are still falling, are they not, despite cases of the variant increasing?

I've no doubt 21st June will be pushed back now, but not convinced (yet) that it should.

Deaths and hospitalisations are both going up.

Hospitalisations are definitely increasing like, not at a huge rate but they are. 

Deaths will be low at the minute, we've only just started getting the new cases so will be a month or so before we see the deaths.

I dunno man, it's just giving me that sinking feeling seeing them rise again, especially almost double in a week, I want to be optimistic but it's hard. I'm driving myself mad with it like so need to calm down, I am literally obsessed with reading everything about COVID all day on the news etc, it's no good for my mental health but I can't help it, I just want things back to normal, obviously everyone is in the same boat, but it's shit.

2 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

People don't just drop dead of covid as soon as they've tested positive.  Hospitalisations and deaths always lag cases by weeks.  

Just now, Troll said:

People don't just drop dead of covid as soon as they've tested positive.  Hospitalisations and deaths always lag cases by weeks.  

Yeah I understand that, but the variant has been around for a few weeks or so now, and I just thought it would have started translating into more hospitalisations and deaths by now, if things were getting worse again.

Admittedly. only going off media articles, but they were suggesting the hosptalisations were mainly those who hadn't been vaccinated.

I thought the deaths figure had averaged to single - low double figures.

Happy to be wrong/corrected.

Posted (edited)

We are getting through the vaccination process very efficiently and keeping some restrictions in place rightfully. I can understand why we might delay the June 21st also, but I hope they don't reverse on letting us see people indoors as that's a pretty big thing here. Especially when not taking the vaccine when offered clearly seems to be contributing to the stats here.

Hate to sound selfish but I feel done with proper lockdowns and putting life on hold. If after well over a year and high levels of vaccinations, we are having to increase the level of sacrifices we are making to save lives, then that's a pretty depressing way to live and will start to feel hopeless and like we can't make real progress. 

Edited by St. Maximin