7 hours ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

What does "fully vaccinated" mean, in terms of population of a country, obviously it isn't going to be 100%.

Does it just mean everyone has been offered it?

Enough people have been vaccinated with both doses so that there is herd immunity and the virus cannot spread there.

I think it was really weird that the unlocking plan was scheduled to let loads of people out before they’d had the vaccine. Given that, they must have been ready to accept large numbers of cases as long as they’re mainly in young people. You’d think. 

It wasn't weird though. It's always been a balancing act because of the harm that lockdown does to the economy, health and society - which has huge amounts of negative externalities outside of looking at Covid in isolation. Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on about the right way to do it any 'roadmap' always has to be a gauged based on the total net cost/benefit for the entire country. This also has to take into account the relative risks depending on age. 

Even now, with people saying lockdown is 'basically over' and things are 'back to normal', this is being seen from a very selfish and myopic view of your own normality being back. For the businesses yet to re-open, those unlikely to make any money because of restrictions, the industries facing wipe-out and redundancies, the restrictions still in place in care homes, people unable to travel to see family etc - life is not back to normal.

As I've tried to say before in here, you can't just keep restrictions to 'play it safe'. 

19 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I guess this kind of debate will continue until we have heard immunity through vaccination and infection, then it will suddenly become pointless. 

Deaf people are fucked then.

I fell very ill way back when it was all kicking off in mid March 2020 while at uni, probably the most unwell I've ever been. Boiling hot and sweating whilst in bed, shivering like fuck when I was up and about, no appetite, bad headaches, could barely swallow tablets and had diarrhoea-like shits. I wasn't able to get a test though, mainly as they weren't anywhere near as widely available as they are now but it may well have probably one of the first few cases of COVID.

However, I tested positive 2 weeks ago and was completely asymptomatic. Only got a test as housemates tested positive. No idea if that's playing into herd immunity or owt as it's more than a year between both times I was ill. Even still I can't be sure the first time was COVID.

Anyway, as long as hospitalisations and deaths stay down then people and the press shouldn't shit themselves if cases go up. The people spreading it now are mainly the lot my age who are for the most part, unaffected by the disease. Hope the 21 June deadline stays the same.

1 hour ago, NUFCDoog said:

Drakeford reckons Social Distancing could be in Wales for the rest of the year. Absolute madness.

I thought Wales are ahead of us on the vaccine roll out? about 70% have had the first one.

Couldn't find it in that page but another suggested 35-49 was the most infectiony range, but all much of a muchness other than very young and very old. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Couldn't find it in that page but another suggested 35-49 was the most infectiony range, but all much of a muchness other than very young and very old. 

Went for a job interview yesterday, and one of the lads who was there - in his late 20s - says he's had both of his vaccines.

Didn't ask how, as I didn't want them to think I didn't believe them, but is this possible?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

Went for a job interview yesterday, and one of the lads who was there - in his late 20s - says he's had both of his vaccines.

Didn't ask how, as I didn't want them to think I didn't believe them, but is this possible?

A lot of people have lied about being care givers and have gotten the vaccine that way. So it's certainly possible. 

Edit: obviously there are other legitimate reasons. Like being an actual care giver,or having a condition that makes them more vulnerable. 

Edited by healthyaddiction

Posted (edited)

Well under 18s make up about 15% of the population, so even if we have 100% uptake in the rest of the population I don't think it would be enough (IIRC what Troll said about the percentage probably needed).

Also I'd imagine herd immunity works by breaking transmission chains, but because the under 18s generally stick together they're one long, unbroken transmission chain through the whole herd.

Edited by Jackie Broon