I absolutely appreciate that it is difficult to hear some of the grimmer predictions but they do need to be reported/discussed. The people in charge refusing to listen to scientists and labelling any amount of stuff as scare stories is exactly why we are so fucked at the minute (i'm not putting Ian and Nees in the same boat btw [emoji38]).

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Again shite.

I understand you’re a scientist and close to this, and I doubt many people will think the high number of cases is a good idea. But it doesn’t help anything to scare people about a hypothetical situation that may never happen.  

TBH it’s my fault really, I shouldn’t come in here. There’s nothing to be gained. 

Britains-Justice-Secretary-Michael-Gove.

If what Troll is saying is true then that's it what's the point? We are just going to be stuck in this situation for the rest of our lives. We have to catch a break at some point surely?

So when the vaccines become totally useless, what's the plan then? Can they adapt them quickly to combat any new variants. Are we going to have to go through this whole double jab exercise again?

And I suppose until they start vaccinating kids, which the government, JCVI and whoever else is in charge can't seem to make a decision on, then we're going to be in this never-ending cycle for the foreseeable. Good to know.

_119475690_mediaitem119475689.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised if this has already started and we have a Geordie variant.  We have one of the highest uptakes in the country, yet we're absolutely riddled with it.  It's not a hypothetical situation, it's both highly likely and highly preventable.  If you don't want to listen to me, then listen to Jeff Goldblum (pretend Dr Wu is talking about vaccinated people).

I hope I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

If what Troll is saying is true then that's it what's the point? We are just going to be stuck in this situation for the rest of our lives. We have to catch a break at some point surely?

It's completely avoidable if your country isn't run by the mayor from Jaws.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

Even if that means, e.g. your local A&E/intensive care units cease to be able to function? If it means you call an ambulance for a heart attack and it takes an hour to arrive? 

No of course not - but if it stays like this we live with it period

1 minute ago, tgarve said:

That's the point, with infections rising at such a rate, hospitalisation and deaths will rise accordingly while also giving more chance for mutation. 

5 minutes ago, tgarve said:

But the situation I described will be here within weeks. ???

57 minutes ago, Troll said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this has already started and we have a Geordie variant.

Surely we'd know this, if that were the case? 

54 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Newcastle has only just hit over 70% first dose. Everywhere else in the north east is above 80% and some close to 90%

We have some stupid fuckers living in the city. Get the vaccine.

Presumably just younger.

18 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Maybe the vaccine isn't very effective.

Based on the same number of infections during the winter wave we had approximately 15x the number of deaths.

The vaccines work.

Whether a vaccine resistant mutant strain evolves because of Johnson allowing the population to get riddled with delta is another matter though. 

We are at least 18 months into the pandemic and have 20 or so vaccines out of the trial phase that Im aware of.

Vaccines for coronavirus affecting other species also predate human Covid19.

There are other vaccines currently being trialled if thats what you mean?