COVID-19

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Lazarus said:

We are at least 18 months into the pandemic and have 20 or so vaccines out of the trial phase that Im aware of.

Vaccines for coronavirus affecting other species also predate human Covid19.

There are other vaccines currently being trialled if thats what you mean?

He's just peddling his tedious "hey I'm just asking questions here!" anti-vax bullshit again.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Again shite.

I understand you’re a scientist and close to this, and I doubt many people will think the high number of cases is a good idea. But it doesn’t help anything to scare people about a hypothetical situation that may never happen.  

TBH it’s my fault really, I shouldn’t come in here. There’s nothing to be gained. 

I mean, there are clearly situations where scaring people about a hypothetical situation is important and can help. That’s part of how we avoid these situations in the first place. Just because something’s tough to hear (potential problems in opening up, climate change, the repairs that were needed at Surfside, whatever) doesn’t mean that knowledgeable people shouldn’t say anything.

8 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

We are at least 18 months into the pandemic and have 20 or so vaccines out of the trial phase that Im aware of.

He's probably twisting them being in 'Phase IV' to them still being 'experimental vaccines'.

@Troll, what we've been told over here is that normally viruses get weaker and weaker as they mutate. Our case numbers spiked a bit lately due to graduation parties and Euro 2020 viewings/celebrations, but are now back to same level as 3 weeks ago. By your professional knowledge, what makes you think this virus evolution will be different, and what should we in Yoorup expect? (BTW we're 50% fully vaccinated in my country) 

17 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Pretty sure i read the trial stage for the covid vaccines ends in Jan 2023, so we are still in the trial stage.

I think.

How comparable are case numbers now to January? 

By that wasn't it the case that in January testing was based on having symptoms and now it's symptoms and/or being pinged? So you'd expect more asymptomatic cases being picked up now and 50,000 now would really be 60,000 plus in Jan? 

Also for Troll, aren't virus mutations somewhat random? And if so do high case numbers give greater probability to a mutation happening that makes it impotent as well as the risk of it becoming more dangerous? 

9 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Pretty sure i read the trial stage for the covid vaccines ends in Jan 2023, so we are still in the trial stage.

I think.

Thats the extended safety monitoring stage, once the actual trials have finished.

Once a vaccine is released into a population, there are continual checks to ensure there are no adverse reactions, or reactions with other drugs etc etc, i.e. is the vaccine working as it should?

Current evidence says it is.

34 minutes ago, BroonLass said:

@Troll, what we've been told over here is that normally viruses get weaker and weaker as they mutate. Our case numbers spiked a bit lately due to graduation parties and Euro 2020 viewings/celebrations, but are now back to same level as 3 weeks ago. By your professional knowledge, what makes you think this virus evolution will be different, and what should we in Yoorup expect? (BTW we're 50% fully vaccinated in my country) 

By who?  Because that's rubbish.  Spanish flu had a mild first wave, then mutated and killed a load of young people.  Covid mutated and became much more virulent, on multiple occasions.

20 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

By that wasn't it the case that in January testing was based on having symptoms and now it's symptoms and/or being pinged? So you'd expect more asymptomatic cases being picked up now and 50,000 now would really be 60,000 plus in Jan? 

Also for Troll, aren't virus mutations somewhat random? And if so do high case numbers give greater probability to a mutation happening that makes it impotent as well as the risk of it becoming more dangerous? 

Mutations are random, but natural selection isn't.  Imagine a herd of gazelles.  Mutations could make them faster, or could make them slower.  But the slower ones will get eaten, and the faster ones will survive and reproduce.

It's the same with viruses.  Mutations that make it impotent are really common, and probably occur many times a day, but they don't spread.  A mutation that makes it evade the immune system will.

26 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Actually, I wouldn't be suspired if there's a large number of asymptomatic cases not being picked up. Lateral flow tests seem to be pretty useless at picking up on asymptomatic infections and someone is not likely to get a PCR test unless they are symptomatic.

Full vaccinated people are significantly less likely to develop symptoms, like 40 times less likely, so there will probably be a lot of asymptomatic infections out there that aren't being picked up in the figures compared to previous waves. 

16 minutes ago, Troll said:

By who?  Because that's rubbish.  Spanish flu had a mild first wave, then mutated and killed a load of young people.  Covid mutated and became much more virulent, on multiple occasions.

Ok, thanks. Basically we have a lot of virologists sending different messages, so it's hard to navigate through them. Some are "concerned", others are going "well the vaccines are ramping up so no need to worry hurr durr".

24 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Actually, I wouldn't be suspired if there's a large number of asymptomatic cases not being picked up. Lateral flow tests seem to be pretty useless at picking up on asymptomatic infections and someone is not likely to get a PCR test unless they are symptomatic.

Full vaccinated people are significantly less likely to develop symptoms, like 40 times less likely, so there will probably be a lot of asymptomatic infections out there that aren't being picked up in the figures compared to previous waves. 

At least in PCR, we're finding that Delta gives much stronger positives, so I'd expect LFD to be more likely to pick them up too.,

Gf just got pinged. We had Covid a couple weeks back. Is there any practical reason why she needs to do the isolation? Surely we're both as antibodied-up as we can be right now? 

BTW I got my 2nd Pfizer jab earlier today. Just have a slightly sore arm right now, feeling much better than after 1st jab. Hoping it's keeping on as I'm supposed to attend my Mam's birthday party on Wednesday. Oh, and I can still only get 5G coverage in certain areas  :mike:

Edited by BroonLass

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Gf just got pinged. We had Covid a couple weeks back. Is there any practical reason why she needs to do the isolation? Surely we're both as antibodied-up as we can be right now? 

Is it via the app?  I'd ignore it.

8 minutes ago, Disco said:

On the plus side at least we're only at the start of the science is a scam and everything is a conspiracy journey.

E6nG_TCXEAUPYQB?format=jpg&name=medium

I'd like to meet the people who think it's being used to microchip the population, and still took it. 

9 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Is it via the app?  I'd ignore it.

Yeah. Is the app guidance or a legal requirement? 

Edit, it's advisory, and apparently they're updating the app on Monday to say as much. 

4 hours ago, tgarve said:

For me it doesn’t matter - as long as the deaths stay low we have to live with it 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9787809/Covid-19-UK-One-two-hospitalised-coronavirus-patients-develop-complication-study-reveals.html

A QUARTER of people in their 20s suffer organ damage after being hospitalised with Covid, major NHS study finds - as SAGE adviser warns it's 'naive' to think virus only affects elderly

• Yorkie locked this topic