9 minutes ago, Troll said:

At least in PCR, we're finding that Delta gives much stronger positives, so I'd expect LFD to be more likely to pick them up too.,

Good to know but, anecdotally, I've heard quite a few stories of lateral flows showing false negatives with PCR confirmed symptomatic infections. They're likely to be even less reliable with asymptomatic infection aren't they?

I would have thought that, given we have 50% of the population vaccinated and they are many times more likely to be asymptomatic if infected, and probably not many of them testing regularly if they feel OK, it seems likely that there will be a lot more asymptomatic infection out there than previous waves.

Know next to nothing about viruses, but what actually is the solution? Sure I get the instructions about optional mask wearing is stupid and dangerous, but we’re already past the 50,000 mark with a high vaccine rollout. Should we have just stayed in lockdown for the rest of the year? Couldn’t the virus still mutate to evade the vaccine with low cases even if it’s less likely? It seems like this will never end and every time we’re making progress something crap comes along that can’t be fully prevented even with a competent government. 

Safe to say the “we have to learn to live with it” attitude is pretty annoying now, but I get where it comes from if the alternative is a constant cycle of lockdowns that will cause far more harm than good to the vast majority. 

30 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah. Is the app guidance or a legal requirement? 

Edit, it's advisory, and apparently they're updating the app on Monday to say as much. 

Advisory now.  They be don't know who you are for privacy reasons.

Video of Digi tonight, looks like a canny crowd in enjoying themselves. Great to see tbf.

However, personally I cannot get excited about “freedom day”. Just seems like 1. Freedom will be taken away from us in the not-too-distant future and 2. It doesn’t feel right at all that all restrictions are lifted. It seems irresponsible and quite scary to think where we could be in a couple of weeks time.

Shite really. 

54 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Gf just got pinged. We had Covid a couple weeks back. Is there any practical reason why she needs to do the isolation? Surely we're both as antibodied-up as we can be right now? 

Does she have a rough idea based on the dates where and when she might have been exposed to it? 

10 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Video of Digi tonight, looks like a canny crowd in enjoying themselves. Great to see tbf.

However, personally I cannot get excited about “freedom day”. Just seems like 1. Freedom will be taken away from us in the not-too-distant future and 2. It doesn’t feel right at all that all restrictions are lifted. It seems irresponsible and quite scary to think where we could be in a couple of weeks time.

Shite really. 

Because freedom is the ability to go to a shit club without a mask.

patience and understanding is not infinite and I've reached the point where I hope the never-vaxxers just pick up the worst variant possible and exit stage left as quickly as possible so the rest of us can get on with life.

I’m amazed that a lot of countries haven’t slapped England straight onto their red list at midnight. Consequences are the only thing that even seem to resonate with these bunch of cunts in charge.

Edited by Sima

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

I’m amazed that a lot of countries haven’t slapped England straight onto their red list at midnight. Consequences are the only thing that even seem to resonate with these bunch of cunts in charge.

Why is there so much fear. Are you brain washed ? 

7 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

Know next to nothing about viruses, but what actually is the solution? Sure I get the instructions about optional mask wearing is stupid and dangerous, but we’re already past the 50,000 mark with a high vaccine rollout. Should we have just stayed in lockdown for the rest of the year? Couldn’t the virus still mutate to evade the vaccine with low cases even if it’s less likely? It seems like this will never end and every time we’re making progress something crap comes along that can’t be fully prevented even with a competent government. 

Safe to say the “we have to learn to live with it” attitude is pretty annoying now, but I get where it comes from if the alternative is a constant cycle of lockdowns that will cause far more harm than good to the vast majority. 

Do people feel ‘locked down?’ I’m sure if you’re business is affected or you’ve pinned hopes on a distant trip it does moreso but the impact of the linguistics around this is appalling. Why is lockdown only one of two modes? Why are protections/countermeasures called restrictions/limits by the people who are supposed to have belief or control in and of them? It has an impact on the nation’s psychology almost as significant as the details themselves imo.

15 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

Do people feel ‘locked down?’ I’m sure if you’re business is affected or you’ve pinned hopes on a distant trip it does moreso but the impact of the linguistics around this is appalling. Why is lockdown only one of two modes? Why are protections/countermeasures called restrictions/limits by the people who are supposed to have belief or control in and of them? It has an impact on the nation’s psychology almost as significant as the details themselves imo.

I think it’s odd when people use the term ‘lockdown’ now, when this is the least locked down we’ve been since March 2020 and for most people life will barely charge as we hit ‘freedom day’ today. As you say though, it could have that effect on people running businesses that are strongly affected etc. 

Yeah this is a good point about the linguistics. I admit when I talk about the harm done to the majority, I guess you can counter that with the decreased risk of losing a loved one even if the virus won’t strongly harm them. I just feel that while nobody should want to catch the virus, it’s not something the vast majority feel they would need ‘protection’ from, like if we were being bombed for example. It’s restricting their lives primarily to protect a very small minority, which while very understandable, rightly or wrongly gets more and more frustrating when you feel your own lives are being ruined rather than preserved. 

1 hour ago, tgarve said:

Why is there so much fear. Are you brain washed ? 

No fear, but we need be significantly more pragmatic when all indicators (cases, hospitalisations and deaths) are significantly on the rise.

Throwing open the doors to everything is only going to lead to these increasing more.

2 hours ago, Sima said:

Other countries governments seem about as worried as ours about the Delta variant. Testing levels elsewhere seem to be remaining low, I would expect it to be ramped up if there were serious concerns.

10 hours ago, Troll said:

Mutations are random, but natural selection isn't.  Imagine a herd of gazelles.  Mutations could make them faster, or could make them slower.  But the slower ones will get eaten, and the faster ones will survive and reproduce.

It's the same with viruses.  Mutations that make it impotent are really common, and probably occur many times a day, but they don't spread.  A mutation that makes it evade the immune system will.

So what we are really hoping for is a mutation that gives it super powers in invading the immune system but at the same time making its potency as strong as a Colback tackle

10 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

Actually, I wouldn't be suspired if there's a large number of asymptomatic cases not being picked up. Lateral flow tests seem to be pretty useless at picking up on asymptomatic infections and someone is not likely to get a PCR test unless they are symptomatic.

Full vaccinated people are significantly less likely to develop symptoms, like 40 times less likely, so there will probably be a lot of asymptomatic infections out there that aren't being picked up in the figures compared to previous waves. 

I get that, but in Jan there was no trigger to get tested if you didn't have symptoms. Now a PCR test can be booked if you have been in contact with a positive case so it stands to reason that the 50,000 today would have a much great % of asymptomatic cases in them than the same level of positive tests in January. So in the same way that last October looked on a different scale to March/April on a positive case rate, you had to factor in the testing capacity

I fail to see how what we've done today isn't just completely mental. 

Like properly mental. 

If anything says let's go back to square one then today is it if we weren't on that path already. 

Quite good getting a coffee today. The place wasn’t done up like a bio-hazard with constant reminders of covid. But tables are nicely spaced, customers wearing masks, checkin thing and sanitiser is still there but a little less fascist. Quite relaxing. 

Hopefully this kind of compromise is going to be quite common. The public have generally been much more cautious than the government, so we’ll see.