1 minute ago, madras said:

Or at least be more discerning in our sources.

But for example, BBC website. Probably one of the most respectable sources possible. 

They take a single scientific opinion and run a headline as if it’s happening. When the crisis is quiet, they run an article called ‘5 things you need to know about the virus this evening’ rather than giving you the night off. 

So even when there’s nothing happening you need to know about, they’re cranking your anxiety up. Then there’s stuff from other countries that you can’t possibly act on and can only serve to stress you out further. 

I don’t know the answer, because I feel almost irresponsible when I don’t keep up with the news. But I know it’s not good for my mental health. 

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

How’s the bairn doing Madras? Hope she’s OK.

Very slight cold symptoms and a rash that heightens when she's warm ie bed or bath. OK enough to be shrieking like a banshee on social media with her mates. 

And just to make you feel old....she's now 17!!!

Edited by madras

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But for example, BBC website. Probably one of the most respectable sources possible. 

They take a single scientific opinion and run a headline as if it’s happening. When the crisis is quiet, they run an article called ‘5 things you need to know about the virus this evening’ rather than giving you the night off. 

So even when there’s nothing happening you need to know about, they’re cranking your anxiety up. Then there’s stuff from other countries that you can’t possibly act on and can only serve to stress you out further. 

I don’t know the answer, because I feel almost irresponsible when I don’t keep up with the news. But I know it’s not good for my mental health. 

Even the Beeb varies massively, the difference between their 6pm news and Newsnight is huge.

14 minutes ago, madras said:

Very slight cold symptoms and a rash that heightens when she's warm ie bed or bath. OK enough to be shrieking like a banshee on social media with her mates. 

And just to make you feel old....she's now 17!!!

Bloody hell ha ha, glad she seems fine though mate, can’t imagine what a worry it is for all of yous!

15 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The BBC are getting worse at things like that, I don’t bother at all with their news/website any more which used to be among the best.

I get what you feel with feeling almost irresponsible not keeping up with the ‘new’s by the way, I do too especially when my wife will say have you heard the news over some stuff or another and I say nah, and she is like, really, you need to check it out, but when I do it’s almost always heavy sided towards an agenda or disaster or bad news or one must react a certain way only and I think fuck it. To be honest I am more well informed by reading this forum and by people on here. 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Bloody hell ha ha, glad she seems fine though mate, can’t imagine what a worry it is for all of yous!

Forever the rationalist (and currently reading "Factfulness") I know the numbers are in our favour. More worried when she goes out to tell the truth but that's with mild run of the mill symptoms.

Just now, madras said:

Forever the rationalist (and currently reading "Factfulness") I know the numbers are in our favour. More worried when she goes out to tell the truth but that's with mild run of the mill symptoms.

Kids are a worry full stop mate at any age, who’d have them eh…

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Kids are a worry full stop mate at any age, who’d have them eh…

Just talking about that with Mrs the other day and we both agreed, as much as we love our kids, knowing what we do now, we'd probably would not have had kids if we knew then what we do now.

Let that be a warning to those out there considering dropping some sprogs on the planet.

Edited by madras

Just now, madras said:

Just talking about that with Mrs the other day and we both agreed, as much as we live our kids, knowing what we do now, we'd probably not have had kids if we knew then what we do now.

Let that be a warning to those out there considering dropping some sprogs on the planet.

Weird as me and the wife have had similar discussions lately, I’d still rather have kids, but this world sadly isn’t ideally conditioned for kids and that’s down to us, the adults who are supposed to be guardians of this planet and protect it and all that lives on it. We can barely protect ourselves as Covid is showing by refusing to wear masks, getting a vaccine, committing to lockdowns etc. 

41 minutes ago, madras said:

I never mentioned banning them, just we've had a chance to realise that a weekend in Magaluf isn't the be all and end all. It's like we've been conditioned into it.

Fair enough, never had that temptation myself. I think we’ve realised how much we’ve missed these things and the atmosphere around them, even if they aren’t the be all end all. Was nice getting to go on holiday in the UK mind without considering abroad options. 

19 minutes ago, madras said:

Factfulness is a cracking read.

2 hours ago, danny said:

My 5yo twins have been sent home to isolate for 10 days (gutted they miss their lastweek of their first year of school) because they were in contact. I got 3 others in 2 different schools and a missus who works in retail but they still have to go into work/school, how is this isolating :help:

My eldest has been told to isolate for 10 days also, misses the last 2 days of school, however my youngest, who has been diving round the pool with her sister all weekend, is fine to go in. 

So many flaws. 

I've been told to isolate for 3 days (until Thursday), clearly linked to London last Sunday, so I've been swanning about for a week before being told I should isolate.  Just seems pointless. 

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Weird as me and the wife have had similar discussions lately, I’d still rather have kids, but this world sadly isn’t ideally conditioned for kids and that’s down to us, the adults who are supposed to be guardians of this planet and protect it and all that lives on it. We can barely protect ourselves as Covid is showing by refusing to wear masks, getting a vaccine, committing to lockdowns etc. 

I don't even mean it in a "Don't want to bring kids into this world" type thing, more of a selfish, I could be enjoying this world a lot more and if my kids never existed I wouldn't miss them type thought experiment.

Too effing late now !

Just now, HTT II said:

Link? My 9 year old would be bang into that!

It's by Hans Rosling. His Ted talks are very good as well. Recently passed away.

Just now, madras said:

I don't even mean it in a "Don't want to bring kids into this world" type thing, more of a selfish, I could be enjoying this world a lot more and if my kids never existed I wouldn't miss them type thought experiment.

Too effing late now !

Ah right, in that case I’d agree, I’d be driving around in a Ferrari right now sunning it somewhere living the high life. Wouldn’t swap them for the world though, well, only when they don’t behave which is regular, otherwise they can do one…

12 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Fair enough, never had that temptation myself. I think we’ve realised how much we’ve missed these things and the atmosphere around them, even if they aren’t the be all end all. Was nice getting to go on holiday in the UK mind without considering abroad options. 

I miss just being able to book a flight/train or road trip to say Germany were we have family, or to visit my sis in London or just driving all over Europe with my bestie in my retro 30 year old car which we would have done all of if not for Covid. I don’t miss having a holiday per se, but we have booked one and hopefully it will happen. 

23 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I miss just being able to book a flight/train or road trip to say Germany were we have family, or to visit my sis in London or just driving all over Europe with my bestie in my retro 30 year old car which we would have done all of if not for Covid. I don’t miss having a holiday per se, but we have booked one and hopefully it will happen. 

No change of scenery is absolutely killing me, I’d be on about my 3rd city break by now usually :lol:

Also the lack of spontaneity is very difficult, everything having to be planned and booked in advance.

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

No change of scenery is absolutely killing me, I’d be on about my 3rd city break by now usually :lol:

Also the lack of spontaneity is very difficult, everything having to be planned and booked in advance.

Now that I can understand. However the majority just seem to want to go Bennas or Magas to get pissed on cheap lager.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Now that I can understand. However the majority just seem to want to go Bennas or Magas to get pissed on cheap lager.

E6MOVcUX0AouXJZ.jpg

4 minutes ago, Disco said:

E6MOVcUX0AouXJZ.jpg

Not everywhere is as cosmopolitan as this place. I spend a lot of time with many for whom holiday and travel is exactly as I described.