Jump to content

Recommended Posts

At this juncture, I thought it would be interesting to ask whether anyone - particularly the Virologists amongst us, thinks the outcome would have been markedly different had we elected a different party in government in December 2019?

I know a lot of people - especially when you're critical of this government's response - say 'It wouldn't matter who was in power, things would be just as bad'.

But would they?

I mean, Johnson dragged his feet over lockdown, offered confusing guidance, went around telling people it was alright to shake hands with infected people, went on holiday - several times. As well as all the other stupid bollocks and idiocy he presented.

But would a sensible, science-led and measured response have got us to a safer place more quickly, or would the right have doubled down on their anti-vax nonsense, and left a progressive government with all kinds of problems in controlling 'spreader' events?

What do you fellas think?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s impossible to know what a specific politician (Corbyn) would have done in an unprecedented situation. All you can do is compare the government responses in similar neighbouring countries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

At this juncture, I thought it would be interesting to ask whether anyone - particularly the Virologists amongst us, thinks the outcome would have been markedly different had we elected a different party in government in December 2019?

I know a lot of people - especially when you're critical of this government's response - say 'It wouldn't matter who was in power, things would be just as bad'.

But would they?

I mean, Johnson dragged his feet over lockdown, offered confusing guidance, went around telling people it was alright to shake hands with infected people, went on holiday - several times. As well as all the other stupid bollocks and idiocy he presented.

But would a sensible, science-led and measured response have got us to a safer place more quickly, or would the right have doubled down on their anti-vax nonsense, and left a progressive government with all kinds of problems in controlling 'spreader' events?

What do you fellas think?

 

Would they have had the NHS better prepared

Would they have managed infectious patients in and out of hospitals

Would they have managed care homes more effectively

 

Those 3 questions shape the death toll in the UK. Lockdown may have been a week or 2 earlier, but with the number of holiday makers in Italy at the time would they have also had the means and foresight to quarantine everyone coming over the border - bearing in mind that the whole messaging over Covid was different from the people you would expect to be consistent (WHO) at that point in time.

 

After that we'd no doubt have avoided some/most of the clusterfucks that have happened but different ones would have been made instead, all of our politicians are not made out to manage a large scale crisis

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madras said:

Not everywhere is as cosmopolitan as this place. I spend a lot of time with many for whom holiday and travel is exactly as I described.

 

There's nothing wrong with that though is there?

 

Now Benidorm and Magaluf leave me cold, but so does renting a Gite and spunking myself over a painter named after a freaking turtle.

 

It's horses for courses and for people who slog their arse off for 48 weeks of the year a 2 week blowout in the sun is the right tonic to get way from it all.

 

If I didn't have kids I'd seriously be thinking about a fortnight in the Caribbean right now, 80% of it spent by the pool or on the beach listening to the old steel drums and knocking back the local refreshment

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

 

There's nothing wrong with that though is there?

 

Now Benidorm and Magaluf leave me cold, but so does renting a Gite and spunking myself over a painter named after a freaking turtle.

 

It's horses for courses and for people who slog their arse off for 48 weeks of the year a 2 week blowout in the sun is the right tonic to get way from it all.

 

If I didn't have kids I'd seriously be thinking about a fortnight in the Caribbean right now, 80% of it spent by the pool or on the beach listening to the old steel drums and knocking back the local refreshment

As I originally posted its that that and going to the pub is freedom and all that seems to matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He was squaring up to a policeman so bad decision on the bodycam if so :lol: 

He can delete what he wants and edit it how he wants if it is for a bodycam

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, madras said:

As I originally posted its that that and going to the pub is freedom and all that seems to matter.

To be fair after the year and a half plus we’ve had, no one can surely complain when someone wants to go on holiday/do a bit of travel, I regard it as my human right basically to go about my life peacefully and freely wherever my money and will can take me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

To be fair after the year and a half plus we’ve had, no one can surely complain when someone wants to go on holiday/do a bit of travel, I regard it as my human right basically to go about my life peacefully and freely wherever my money and will can take me.

It's wasn't even a year and a half, people were whining after a week of not being able to go to the pub or have a weekend in Spain..... and that's without even factoring in the environmental issues.

 

That became freedom, the pub, a holiday and not wearing a mask.

 

 

Edited by madras

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, madras said:

It's wasn't even a year and a half, people were whining after a week of not being able to go to the pub or have a weekend in Spain..... and that's without even factoring in the environmental issues.

 

That became freedom, the pub, a holiday and not wearing a mask.

 

 

 

I’m not a pub man myself but again understand people wanting some freedoms, within reason of course…

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don’t think it has that much to do with the pub for the most part, but being able to see people. I could cope comfortably without going to the pub over winter and in some ways life was better, but it’s certainly grim when you can’t see people. Whatever restrictions we bring in again, we can’t have people isolated over long periods like that again. 

 

 

Edited by St. Maximin

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news. Hopefully we'll see what they did in France and a huge surge in bookings by the young. It'll go down like a lead balloon with the absolute fruitcakes in London earlier too, so that's a bonus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Good news. Hopefully we'll see what they did in France and a huge surge in bookings by the young. It'll go down like a lead balloon with the absolute fruitcakes in London earlier too, so that's a bonus.


I’d like the result of more young people getting jabbed, but I don’t like this means of doing it. I definitely don’t want to live permanently in a bio-security state, where your medical status decides what you can and can’t do. 
 

It might be the least bad option I guess, but I still don’t think it’s ‘good’. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:


I’d like the result of more young people getting jabbed, but I don’t like this means of doing it. I definitely don’t want to live permanently in a bio-security state, where your medical status decides what you can and can’t do. 
 

It might be the least bad option I guess, but I still don’t think it’s ‘good’. 

 

What's the alternative?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...