2 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

What’s actually threatening lockdown though? 

Is it unjabbed people being hospitalised, if it is then it’s their own fault surely?

It is absolutely their own fault but it's not the fault of the medical staff who have to treat these absolute whoppers.

I think we will hit a(nother) real crisis in the NHS in the next couple of years, as staff who are completely exhausted get the hell out and we don't have the people to replace them thanks to you-know-what.

53 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

What’s actually threatening lockdown though? 

Is it unjabbed people being hospitalised, if it is then it’s their own fault surely?

Yep. But sucks to be you if you have a non-covid issue and your hospital has no capacity left.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It might be their own fault but it still fills hospitals and stops other treatment. 

Had thought about a lockdown dog during the first 3, but thought it was too late now. Might reconsider. 

Our puppy is an absolute fanny magnet, worth getting a dog just for the ego boost of lasses stopping to chat with you in the street every time you leave the house. 

Walking him past the community centre when the pilates class kicks out is like shooting fish in a barrel.

All restrictions lifting in Sweden from the 29th!

As someone who works in a pub, this is huge for me, I'm absolutely buzzing. To not have to turn people away because we are "full", or tell people to sit down with their drinks is going to be an absolute joy.

Just purely from my own day to day working experience, it's been absolutely horrendous working with these restrictions for the past 18 months, and it's obviously hit me financially fairly significantly as well (though I've kept my job, so compared to others I'm lucky). 

So bring on the 29th, I really, really can't wait for it! 

The only thing I don't like about passports is we simply don't know what long term effects the vaccine might have.

I mean just look at all those that got the original small pox vaccine.

They're all dead now but you don't hear the media going on about that do you. Really makes you think.

Edited by TBG

I have yet to hear a good argument against vaccine passports, but there isn't a good reason to not get the vaccine in the first place. If it wasn't for the crazies and the selfish cunts not getting it, we wouldn't be needing the passport in the first place.

24 minutes ago, Klaus said:

I have yet to hear a good argument against vaccine passports, but there isn't a good reason to not get the vaccine in the first place. If it wasn't for the crazies and the selfish cunts not getting it, we wouldn't be needing the passport in the first place.

Only reasons is how complicated it would be for those without mobile phones etc to get their passport.

Sick of hearing these nightclubs complaining about it (they should be given help though) as so many countries haven't even reopened night bars fully yet.

5 hours ago, Nobody said:

All restrictions lifting in Sweden from the 29th!

As someone who works in a pub, this is huge for me, I'm absolutely buzzing. To not have to turn people away because we are "full", or tell people to sit down with their drinks is going to be an absolute joy.

Just purely from my own day to day working experience, it's been absolutely horrendous working with these restrictions for the past 18 months, and it's obviously hit me financially fairly significantly as well (though I've kept my job, so compared to others I'm lucky). 

So bring on the 29th, I really, really can't wait for it! 

I'm happy on your behalf. Here in DK, all but one restriction are lifted already, and the last one will be lifted on Saturday. 

Do you know whether there still will be restrictions/recommandments for incoming travellers? I and my son are planning to attending an esports event in either Jönköping or Stockholm in November and would like to know what to expect. 

13 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

Thing is while I know next to nothing about viruses, everyone tells me there is always the possibility of new variants even if we are increasing the chances. It’s a balancing act I feel where we are prepared for this (and clearly the experts study these things thoroughly) while acting proportionate. Nobody seems to be telling me a new variant will come soon that will both spread much faster and completely evade vaccines and we also can’t keep living in fear and removing ourselves from a normal way to live, be it this current pandemic or a future one. I agree on the vaccinations and masks. 

This pandemic involves a virus that spreads fast but does not significantly harm most people, so I think that’s partly why a lot of people find it increasingly frustrating putting their lives on hold to protect the vulnerable the longer this goes on. As selfish as that sounds, we can’t ignore the facts transmissible viruses sadly do kill the vulnerable and that we have our own lives to live. I am all for continuing doing my bit especially into the winter - get vaccinated, wear masks in crowds, test, sanitise, avoid certain spaces if necessary etc. It’s the constant threat of putting life on hold I can’t deal with. Sorry to hear about what  has happened to you - those are indeed tough to take and I really hope things don’t continue that way for us. 

I'm sorry, but what I find so confounding is some on here were making this same argument in the spring and summer of 2020. And that was only a month or two into the lockdowns. All this starts smelling a little bit like rationalization to me. I lost my mentor. My housemate lost his aunt, and his uncle is pretty much permanently fucked up from this. I am a bit tired of people spreading this idea that it is not significantly harmful to most people. I'm sure that's cold comfort to my housemate, and all the people who have developed long haul symptoms. And sorry, but I really really resent this "living in fear" shit. I work in areas where jihadis roam. There is also a nonzero threat of all sorts of lovely pathogens like the virus that causes yellow fever (thankfully vaccinated for that), and hemorrhagic fevers like Marburg. Malaria is always a serious concern as well. My next documentary series will probably be on the disease detectives, so I will most certainly have to go to Ebola-endemic areas like Kikwit, or to where the latest outbreaks of Nipah virus are. I accept those risks when I go to work in those areas. If someone like me shows the caution I do about this pandemic, then that should probably be an indication that it is something worth being very concerned about.

And we still know very little about the long term effects on those who have been infected. And with regard to the comment about there always being the possibility of variants, it's a simple probability problem. This is an RNA virus that mutates fairly rapidly. Generally speaking, the more viral hosts, the more virions are hurtling through the air, and the greater probability of a goldilocks mutation.

Having said all that, lockdowns here in California weren't as productive as they could have been, because so many dipshits ignored them, and now have the audacity to complain about how ineffective they were. If we ever get to that point again, which I doubt, the same shit will happen. And all the CHUDS will blame Newsom.  We are a spoiled, entitled lot with no real basic knowledge of the scientific method, but vast oceans of utterly undeserved confidence. As far as I'm concerned, we are failing as a global community, and as mentioned earlier, this doesn't fill me with confidence that we can tackle climate change together.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

1 hour ago, BroonLass said:

I'm happy on your behalf. Here in DK, all but one restriction are lifted already, and the last one will be lifted on Saturday. 

Do you know whether there still will be restrictions/recommandments for incoming travellers? I and my son are planning to attending an esports event in either Jönköping or Stockholm in November and would like to know what to expect. 

We haven't had travel restrictions into the country from EU (and definitely not nordic countries) during the whole thing afaik. You'll be fine travelling from Denmark :thup:

1 hour ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I'm sorry, but what I find so confounding is some on here were making this same argument in the spring and summer of 2020. And that was only a month or two into the lockdowns. All this starts smelling a little bit like rationalization to me. I lost my mentor. My housemate lost his aunt, and his uncle is pretty much permanently fucked up from this. I am a bit tired of people spreading this idea that it is not significantly harmful to most people. I'm sure that's cold comfort to my housemate, and all the people who have developed long haul symptoms. And sorry, but I really really resent this "living in fear" shit. I work in areas where jihadis roam. There is also a nonzero threat of all sorts of lovely pathogens like yellow fever (thankfully vaccinated for that), and hemorrhagic fevers like Marburg. Malaria is always a serious concern as well. My next documentary series will probably be on the disease detectives, so I will most certainly have to go to Ebola-endemic areas like Kikwit, or to where the latest outbreaks of Nipah virus are. I accept those risks when I go to work in those areas. If someone like me shows the caution I do about this pandemic, then that should probably be an indication that it is something worth being very concerned about.

And we still know very little about the long term effects on those who have been infected. And with regard to the comment about there always being the possibility of variants, it's a simple probability problem. This is an RNA virus that mutates fairly rapidly. Generally speaking, the more viral hosts, the more virions are hurtling through the air, and the greater probability of a goldilocks mutation.

Having said all that, lockdowns here in California weren't as productive as they could have been, because so many dipshits ignored them, and now have the audacity to complain about how ineffective they were. If we ever get to that point again, which I doubt, the same shit will happen. And all the CHUDS will blame Newsom.  We are a spoiled, entitled lot with no real basic knowledge of the scientific method, but vast oceans of utterly undeserved confidence. As far as I'm concerned, we are failing as a global community, and as mentioned earlier, this doesn't fill me with confidence that we can tackle climate change together.

I appreciate you don’t like some of the terms I’m using. This was me rushing some thoughts together late at night on my phone, so some questionable phrasing I’ll admit. 

I could have been more clear about harm as in the severity of symptoms. Coupled with that I should have said this is post-vaccination where the threat has been mitigated significantly. Before then in the short term, these sacrifices were worth it, while the virus was both far more dangerous and there was less threat of the negative impacts of lockdown becoming long-term. As before I’m sorry to hear what happened and appreciate it was incredibly tough for you and the people around. Absolutely covid has killed an obscene number of people and the impacts to those around them has been horrendous. 

I appreciate you don’t like the “living in fear” idea, but as far as I’m concerned it’s in relation to the need to acting proportionately. If we’re living a life of constantly locking down and removing people’s freedoms to protect a minority from something that could get far worse, that’s an unsustainable way to live life and changes our purpose of living. As you’ve said there are many dangers in this world and we need to ensure we are aware of the risks and taking mitigating action where necessary, while not going overboard with our own sacrifices that could ruin lives in a different way, both in the long and short term. 

To be honest I appreciate we’ve all got different situations here and covid has impacted us in different ways. I lost a job (possibly not due to lockdown mind) and had some of the scariest mental health problems I’ve experienced, making the initial phase horrific before things improved. I moved city and had a very challenging first year getting settled in, as someone who generally hates being alone too much and doesn’t have the privilege of living with family. I’m a young(ish) single guy, who is normally very sociable and wants to meet someone as well as play lots of sport, travel etc. It probably sounds selfish complaining about these things as if I’ve had it hardest, but not having all this naturally hit me hard and it felt like I was putting my life on hold. In the short term it was fair, but it can’t be long term especially given the vaccine availability. 

The fact that our mental health services are seeing unprecedented numbers coming through the door for the first time goes to evidence one of the many long-term impacts of lockdowns.

Coupled with long-term health conditions not being managed and monitored properly, there is a real risk that more and more people will end up coming to harm due to the effect of lockdowns. We’re not talking hundreds here, we’re talking thousands, if not hundreds of thousands.

That’s even before you factor in all of those who have been denied initial diagnosis and treatment for illnesses that remain undiagnosed and will eventually reach a critical point. A friend of my family has recently been diagnosed with cancer, a year too late.

Of course  we won’t understand the full extent of this in the next week, month or even year. But the impact of our actions of locking down will continue to develop and ultimately have some really devastating consequences.

It’s a really tough balancing act. Do we continue to risk the life of x to potentially improve the outcome of y? 

I couldn’t be doing with another lock-down mind, but I was of the opinion that we come out of the last one too soon and it should have been extended til now really allowing everyone to get double vaccinated, or those that want to. If there is a need for one, however, I don’t think we would be left with much choice than to do so. 

Lockdowns really did get depressing, it's hard to stomach when you see so many continue not to give a shit. But really, it's schools closing that worries me, sick of them just being forgotten, with this insane dedication to adult social life instead.

Had a positive lateral flow test today, just done a PCR test. Worried the swab might have touched my tongue, would that void the test or give an inaccurate reading?

Edited by Rafalove

45 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Had a positive lateral flow test today, just done a PCR test. Worried the swab might have touched my tongue, would that void the test or give an inaccurate reading?

Hope you're fine.  How do you feel?

Edited by neesy111

Thanks for asking not too bad actually. Just walked a couple mile to the test centre. Not out of breath or anything.  Think there’s a chance I don’t actually have it to be honest. My only symptoms are phlegm and sore throat.

29 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Thanks for asking not too bad actually. Just walked a couple mile to the test centre. Not out of breath or anything.  Think there’s a chance I don’t actually have it to be honest. My only symptoms are phlegm and sore throat.

I walked all day with bairns on Friday absolute no bother.

Had a bad head and a bit snotty,tested positive on a lateral on night time and by end of play Saturday I felt gassed mind.

Honestly thought I'd avoid most symptoms being double jabbed, what an idiot[emoji38]

44 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

I've been ill for a week with something similar. PCR negative doctor thinks bacterial infection, though o only started coughing green stuff few days ago. Know a few others who have the same so maybe there is something going round.