8 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

So, me 88 year old grandma who has breathing problems (has to be on oxygen for most of every day) has tested positive for COVID after having to go to hospital for a broken hip after falling. She's now tested positive for COVID in hospital after almost certainly catching it there. Really ill, but not the worst as of yet, doctors say it's because of being double jabbed.

Anyone that's not been vaccinated fucking please do, it could well keep people like her alive after the end of this.

fingers crossed for you she pulls through. You don't get to 88 without being made of tough stuff. 

2 hours ago, Wullie said:

Is this mainly kids with Covid or is it other diseases that they've been shielded from starting to bounce back?

Little from column A, little from column B. Certainly we have more COVID kids than ever - we never really had many at all until the Delta variant. I mentioned at the time that last winter was unprecedented because we had literally no babies with RSV in the ICU all winter. They all came in over the last couple of months. Then you factor in schools starting and increased infections stemming from that.

In the past wave(s) we prepped to be an adult COVID ICU overflow for the region but thankfully that never happened. Now we’re ALL overwhelmed. We have a dedicated non-ICU COVID floor that is full. Here’s the thing - most of the COVID kids who come in will not go into the ICU, but the ones that do are unbelievably sick. This is a country with some spectacularly obese teenagers.

So you’ve got all these COVID patients. All the unseasonal viruses held over from last winter. All the back-to-school viruses. Then all the usual stuff (traumas, congenital cardiac issues, surgeries, tumors etc).

Then you look at it from the other perspective. Take nurses. Many older nurses - the most vulnerable - decided fuck that and either took retirement or got out of the front line. Younger nurses were oriented under extremely stressful circumstances, and remember, many of the older more experienced nurses are not there any more so (a) there are fewer experienced nurses to train them and (b) the younger nurses are often thrust into more senior positions before they’re ready. During lockdown, many nurses were furloughed as elective surgeries were shut down and

far fewer patients were coming in. That meant hospitals were losing money hand-over-fist, and PRN and temporary workers were let go or had no hours.

While some hospitals were relatively empty, others (e.g. in the NE states early on, and the South after that) were overwhelmed and the money available for traveling nurses was enormous. Many younger nurses left full-time jobs to make an absolute fortune elsewhere.

Back to today. We have a less experienced workforce that’s demoralized because so much of this is so fucking avoidable. Hospitals have lost money and so have less flexibility, yet they have to find extra money for traveling nurses and overtime for the ones that are still here. Some of our own colleagues spread disinformation on Facebook etc and/or stage actual protests outside our own hospital against mask mandates. It’s tough.

Yet I thank Greavsie and everything that’s holy that I’m at a great hospital with great staff that takes pains to staff as appropriately as possible. The stories I hear from other places are…not good.

One more thing. A local school system just announced that at the beginning of the year they had several hundred “quarantines”. They mandated masks, and three weeks later they were down to eight. Good news, huh?

The next line said that due to the low number of quarantines they were now ending the mask mandate.

I mean, what do you even say to these people?

We were strongly encouraged to get our small team into the office last week, some people felt it’d be good for team spirit

Colleague came in with new persistent cough, was adamant it couldn’t be covid and said it was asthma related. No-one was willing to force the issue and make them go home so they sat at their desk all day doing a Bob Fleming

No prizes for guessing they tested positive yesterday

:banghead:

Edited by bobbydazzla

17 hours ago, madras said:

We've had a brief where I work and most of the Covid provisions are disappearing between now and the end of the year. I'm going to be more misanthropic than usual and keeping out of people's way. They wont even guarantee keeping hand sanitisers.

When I pointed out that nearly 1000 dies in the last week I was met with " we have to return to normal at some point". What the fuck is "normal" ? Seems like going to the pub whenever.

This has to be a fucking joke?

Keep the most basic of measures to avoid the spread of a virus amongst the workforce with potentially catastrophic consequences for both the business and its employees at the time of year the virus is likely to circulate en masse?

Well no, Audrey from accounts has identified it a quick win to reduce expenditure on "sundries" by 0.5%.

1 hour ago, bobbydazzla said:

We were strongly encouraged to get our small team into the office last week, some people felt it’d be good for team spirit

Colleague came in with new persistent cough, was adamant it couldn’t be covid and said it was asthma related. No-one was willing to force the issue and make them go home so they sat at their desk all day doing a Bob Fleming

No prizes for guessing they tested positive yesterday

:banghead:

Loved him :lol:

17 hours ago, madras said:

We've had a brief where I work and most of the Covid provisions are disappearing between now and the end of the year. I'm going to be more misanthropic than usual and keeping out of people's way. They wont even guarantee keeping hand sanitisers.

When I pointed out that nearly 1000 dies in the last week I was met with " we have to return to normal at some point". What the fuck is "normal" ? Seems like going to the pub whenever.

They still have to make the workplace save for you's under H&S laws and that includes Covid.  I'd tell them that.

Edited by neesy111

5 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

They still have to make the workplace save for you's under H&S laws and that includes Covid.  I'd tell them that.

Unfortunately current H&S laws do not directly include Covid so as long as company's follow the latest government advice their fine.

I go to about 6 engineering company's a week and everyone has different self governed rules ranging from absolutely nothing to LFT's and temperature checks in reception before going in, the bigger companies are starting to relax everything now and have no intention of going back.

19 minutes ago, Ben said:

Unfortunately current H&S laws do not directly include Covid so as long as company's follow the latest government advice their fine.

I go to about 6 engineering company's a week and everyone has different self governed rules ranging from absolutely nothing to LFT's and temperature checks in reception before going in, the bigger companies are starting to relax everything now and have no intention of going back.

Fair enough.  I'd still be kicking off if I was an employee if I saw them acting like covid never existed.  

51 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

This has to be a fucking joke?

Keep the most basic of measures to avoid the spread of a virus amongst the workforce with potentially catastrophic consequences for both the business and its employees at the time of year the virus is likely to circulate en masse?

Well no, Audrey from accounts has identified it a quick win to reduce expenditure on "sundries" by 0.5%.

As a director of finance I take offence to that - I've never come across an Audrey in accounts! 

I've also pretty much given our operations team a blank cheque to making the uni safe for students and staff, I don't know of anyone who is liking to save a few quid on coilvid safety. It's more likely an image and a hassle factor than financial

American political cartoons are so shit, they're always covered with labels about what each thing represents. If you're having to give Anthony Fauci a written label so people know who the hell it is, I'm not sure cartoons are really your forte.

2 hours ago, Wullie said:

American political cartoons are so shit, they're always covered with labels about what each thing represents. If you're having to give Anthony Fauci a written label so people know who the hell it is, I'm not sure cartoons are really your forte.

I used to do this at school due to the very low standard of my penmanship.

In other news the thickest man alive has spoken 

7 hours ago, ManDoon said:

If there is a god

Looks like we have a front runner for the Supreme Herman Cain Award trophy this year.

Garrison, who has published multiple anti-vaccine cartoons, and his wife, both of whom are in their 60s, have had COVID-19 for about two weeks, according to Gizmodo. The cartoonist told the outlet that it's been "rough" and that he lost his sense of taste and smell, causing him to lose a desire to eat and drop 15 pounds. However, he has no plans to seek out a medical provider.

"I would never go to a hospital with COVID. Robert David Steele did it a few weeks ago and they killed him. The hospitals get extra money for COVID death reports, which is necessary to keep fear ramped up," Garrison told Gizmodo.

In his mid-60s, Garrison could be considered at high risk of developing serious disease from COVID-19 and he acknowledged young people "tend to bounce back more quickly" but he and his wife are only feeling "slightly better" after two weeks.

Instead of seeking medical care, he told Gizmodo they're taking Ivermectin, an anti-parasitic drug that isn't FDA approved for COVID-19, and various vitamins. He also has no plans to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

Good luck with that Ben.

51 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Friend who is a teacher has tested positive for this again.

Teachers are going to get it over and over again with no idea how this will impact their long term health.

They are probably in a worse position than healthcare staff as at least they have full ppe and engagement protocol. Classrooms will be a free for all especially primary and early years.

It's not even the end of Sept and my youngest and his best friend have had it whilst 3 of the 4 main teachers in his year have been off with it so far. 

Edited by Dokko

6 hours ago, Pandamninator said:

Looks like we have a front runner for the Supreme Herman Cain Award trophy this year.

Good luck with that Ben.

He won’t get tested, supposedly, so there’s some question as to whether he actually has COVID. I mean, we already know he’s full of bullshit. And he’s never had any taste.