Craig Johnston

Cronky

Read his autobiography as a kid and absolutely loved it, wish he had not turned his back on Australia though, he could've done so much for us as a country

It’s impossible for me to think of Craig Johnston without feeling a measure of bitterness :thup:

Read his autobiography as a kid and absolutely loved it, wish he had not turned his back on Australia though, he could've done so much for us as a country

Not sure his impact would've been that great to move the needle - it would've been like Wynton Rufer's situation for New Zealand where he would only play once every two years.  Everyone focuses on the surfing comment, but he did apparently reach out several times when he was young and the Federation didn't want a bar of him until he started winning League title and European Cups.

What Australia needed was World Cup qualification for anyone to care.  I spent 8 years in Melbourne as a kid and the only two times I heard about soccer was for an hour and a half at the MCG in 1998 and whenever Mark Bosnich was caught shoving something illicit up his nose.

Seriously good player back in the day.

I think he was one of the new breed of midfielders for that era, not a playmaker or a hardman, but he had a hell of an engine on him and some serious pace for a strongly built guy iirc. Probably the diametric opposite of Shelvey who should really be playing in the 1950s.

Seriously good player back in the day.

I think he was one of the new breed of midfielders for that era, not a playmaker or a hardman, but he had a hell of an engine on him and some serious pace for a strongly built guy iirc. Probably the diametric opposite of Shelvey who should really be playing in the 1950s.

Yeah, never stopped running up and down that right flank. Massive upgrade on Sammy Lee.