In memoriam: non-football edition

James

13 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Oh shit. I grew up listening to Crosby, Stills & Nash on road trips. Wooden Ships was an absolute anthem. Beautiful song and a great album.

My dad was a big fan. I’m named after Graham Nash and David Crosby. (Graham David) My brother is named after the other 2 neil young and Stephen stills.

RIP

Edited by gdm

54 minutes ago, gdm said:

My dad was a big fan. I’m named after Graham Nash and David Crosby. (Graham David) My brother is named after the other 2 neil young and Stephen stills.

RIP

Faintly disappointed you're not called Crosby Nash tbh.

19 hours ago, Caleb70 said:

David Crosby. RIP.

The Byrds being my favourite band he was involved with.

Though McGuinn didn't have a lot of good things to say about his time in the band. 

RIP you daft old hippy - not you Caleb70, obviously.

12 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Bloody love The Byrds, never got in to CS&N. Should probably give them another go.

Came to them for the jangly, chiming Rickenbackers, stayed for the pedal steel of Sweetheart of The Rodeo.

5 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

Came to them for the jangly, chiming Rickenbackers, stayed for the pedal steel of Sweetheart of The Rodeo.

And then get into Gram Parsons and Gene Clark and Doug Dillard then before you know it you’re wearing dungarees and a straw hat listening to hillbilly banjo licks on your front porch with a bottle of moonshine and no front teeth 

I’ve been down that slippery slope 

Edited by bobbydazzla

11 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

And then get into Gram Parsons and Gene Clark and Doug Dillard then before you know it you’re wearing dungarees and a straw hat listening to hillbilly banjo licks on your front porch with a bottle of moonshine and no front teeth 

I’ve been down that slippery slope 

...with your arm draped around your sister-mama's shoulder.

Gram Parsons, Gene Parsons, Gene Clark, and Michael Clarke has to give The Byrds one most confusing band line ups to keep track of. Then try to remember who all eventually ended up in The Flying Burrito Brothers at some point, and forget it. [emoji38]

2 hours ago, B-more Mag said:

For guitarists, Gene Parsons and Clarence White inventing the B-Bender is also one of those random facts to take up space in your brain. 

Didn't Bernie Leadon have associations with both the FBB and The Byrds before forming The Eagles?

54 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

Didn't Bernie Leadon have associations with both the FBB and The Byrds before forming The Eagles?

Dillard & Clark and FBB, at least. I forgot that one. [emoji38]

I don’t know why, but I’m endlessly fascinated by band family trees. 

19 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark is a magical album

One of them "if you know, you know" records

That has Gene Clark's 'Train Leaves Here This Morning' on it, as does The Eagles first album.

I got a letter from Gene Clark once.

I was into The Byrds big time in the mid-80s, and also liked a band called The Long Ryders - and wrote to the lead singer Sid Griffin, who put me in touch with Gene Clark, who I also wrote to, and received a reply while I was living on Diana Street in '86. It was just a few sentences about his time with The Byrds. I've lost it over the last 37 years like.

Weirdly Sid Griffin formed a band with some lads from Newcastle later on called The Coal Porters, and more recently ended up living a street away from me in Camden before I moved back up here.