Leeds United 5-2 Newcastle United - 16/12/2020 - Postmatch reaction from page 18

Disco

Team looked completely fucked physically from about 65 mins or so. Particularly Hayden, Longstaff and Joelinton.

I suppose when you haven't got the ball 70% of the time that's a lot of pressing and shadow chasing to maintain.

Team looked completely fucked physically from about 65 mins or so. Particularly Hayden, Longstaff and Joelinton.

I suppose when you haven't got the ball 70% of the time that's a lot of pressing and shadow chasing to maintain.

The players did look lethargic. We have a defensive mindset anyway, and there may have been some reaction to Covid in some players, but Leeds's energy levels were considerably above ours.

The telling incident for me was in the lead up to their second goal, when Clark tried to clear with something of a vertical header which landed about 5 yards outside the penalty area. Hayden and Longstaff were both in a position to challenge for the ball, but they both just stood there and allowed the Leeds player to bring the ball down and move it out wide. We made it far too easy. No way would Leeds have let one of our players do that.

Because of our defensive tactics, the players often seem to concentrate on getting behind the ball and don't always put in for a 50-50 challenge in case they get beaten.

We've been grinding out results like this for the last few years - it didn't begin with Bruce, I don't care what anyone says. On Wednesday, of course it didn't come off. We are limited by the players we have, but I do hope we manage to build a side that can get on the front foot more. And the issue there is the finance, not the manager at the present time.