What are you watching right now?

1 hour ago, Hughesy said:

Looking forward to this - read the Robert Harris novel on the Dreyfus case and it's quite a fascinating story.

Loved the Harris book (love all his stuff tbh). Being made into a film I believe?

Paris Police 1900 is set as he is being brought back for his retrial, surrounding the political events taking place (anti-semitic leagues etc) and the police department collusion and corruption.

Really good stuff. With the added bonus of Eugenie Derouand being rather pleasing on the eyes, and a fabulous actress of course!

On 12/10/2021 at 23:16, Happinesstan said:

Didn't really feel that way about her, but definitely in regards to the young male lead. I convinced myself that he did a good job of playing what was essentially an empty vessel. It worked as a foil to the Anthony Perkins-esque performance by the actor that played the priest.

I do like their relationship, but they are both just boring people, her because she never left, and him because he did.

Hamish Linklater's performance was great.

On 12/10/2021 at 03:43, Yorkie said:

Four eps into Midnight Mass. Enjoying it but Christ Kate Siegel is intensely boring to watch, with the young male lead likewise. Thought the same in Hill House as well. Just read that she's married to the creator. 

Flanagan's a big fan of the monologue in this, too, which doesn't much help that perception. 

4 hours ago, Darth Crooks said:

Am I the only 1 who found Squid Game dull? Derivative of stuff like Battle Royale and pretty meandering in parts.

just don’t get the hype 🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s like a dozen other things I’ve seen. Some done better.

Edited by Darth Crooks

17 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

Really?

I thought at certain parts of the drama, the way he delivered his lines put me in mind of William Shatner's musical opuses.

:lol: I can sort of see that, too. For the record, I don't know anything about acting and am wholly unqualified to critique it.

Midnight Mass was flawless for me loved every second. I loved the big monologues and long scenes. Can definitely see how it's not for everyone but it was right up my street.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

How scary is Midnight Mass? I'm a big wuss but managed Hill House - will I be okay with this?

A lot less than Hill House you'll be fine. I'm a coward too and Hill House was definitely scarier.

Just now, Si said:

A lot less than Hill House you'll be fine. I'm a coward too and Hill House was definitely scarier.

Ideal, thanks :thup:

Just finished Squid Game (class btw) so this will be up next.

3 hours ago, Pilko said:

Finding Squid Game canny but some terrible ham acting from some of the birds and it's not as original a concept as everyone who insisted I should watch it told me it was. 

Yeah. Anybody saying it's original is clearly full of crap. It blatantly draws inspiration from many things, I just felt, at the end, it did it really well. I'll be honest though, I erased the rich westerners and Policeman sub-plot from my mind, because they were both pretty terrible.

Somehow I managed to not realize until around halfway through the series that Riley's dad in Midnight Mass is Elliott from E.T. Same thing happened when I watched The Haunting of Hill House. It'll probably happen again whenever I watch The Haunting of Bly Manor. :lol:

On 14/10/2021 at 05:31, Groo said:

Started watching Maid with Margaret Qualley, 2 episodes in. Hope the rest of the season is the same standard.

Shows how difficult to escape an abusive partner.

Wife just pointed out that Margaret Qualley and Andie MacDowell who play daughter and mother in Maid are actual daughter and mother in real life. 

Watching You?

Absolutely caned it yesterday. Couldn't turn it off. Mad how it takes months to watch two LOTR flicks but an entire season of some shit is childs play.

RE Midnight Mass. It's worth watching, I'd give it an 8/10.

On 04/10/2021 at 17:50, Kimbo said:

I've watched a couple of episodes and I like it so far. I'm not sure about the choice to cast young people to play old characters though.

Spoiler

Oh. I see. Grandma is quite attractive.

I enjoyed the show. I think there is a deeper meaning to the show that eluded me, I expect it will mean more to people that have struggled with a religious background and what comes after death. The scenes with Riley and Erin talking about death left me cold.