What are you watching right now?

4 hours ago, BlufPurdi said:

5 episodes in on this Manifest stuff, and it's a clear big fat average. 

Canceled.

:lol: Currently #1 on Netflix and they cancel it. Sometimes I feel like being a TV exec is within my capability.

42 minutes ago, Mike said:

Canceled.

:lol: Currently #1 on Netflix and they cancel it. Sometimes I feel like being a TV exec is within my capability.

Cancelled by NBC where it had shit ratings. Also, Universal doesn't produce it, WB does, so it'll get shopped to Netflix and other networks. That said, Netflix aren't as greenlight friendly anymore and generally cancel all their shows after season three given how high the actor's wages tend to go. As all the options on the Manifest actors for renewal have expired now as well, they are free to renegotiate for a lot more money per episode/season, which is bad news for those wanting more. 

Don't think Netflix will take it in the end, good numbers in the US at the moment or not.

Edited by Kaizero

This new show on Netflix called High on the Hog is a really great limited docuseries about the African diaspora and it’s influence on food in America. Beautifully shot and full of interesting and inspiring information. And the food looks fucking dope. 

6 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Cancelled by NBC where it had shit ratings. Also, Universal doesn't produce it, WB does, so it'll get shopped to Netflix and other networks. That said, Netflix aren't as greenlight friendly anymore and generally cancel all their shows after season three given how high the actor's wages tend to go. As all the options on the Manifest actors for renewal have expired now as well, they are free to renegotiate for a lot more money per episode/season, which is bad news for those wanting more. 

Don't think Netflix will take it in the end, good numbers in the US at the moment or not.

So who benefits from the show being momentarily hot right now?

6 hours ago, cubaricho said:

This new show on Netflix called High on the Hog is a really great limited docuseries about the African diaspora and it’s influence on food in America. Beautifully shot and full of interesting and inspiring information. And the food looks fucking dope. 

Yup, it was terrific. Had me tearing up at times. I need to grab the book it was based on.

also madly in love with Giselle Etienne now. :love:

7 hours ago, Mike said:

So who benefits from the show being momentarily hot right now?

If it brings them new subscribers, then Netflix. If they do not then it's just the viewer (getting easy access to watch) and the actors (more exposure) that wins.

If this was a season two cancellation and not a season three, then I'd fully believe that Netflix would bring it back. They still might if the numbers are high enough.

I've started watching a couple of animated series.

Blood of Zeus - Like many I love ancient Greek Mythology (though not necessarily anime) and thought this would be right up my street. The animation was so so, the story cliched but tehn I'm only on the first episode so I'll give it  afew more. Enjoyed the battle between the gods and giants, that was weird. (NetFlix)

Primal - Prehistoric romp by Genndy Tartakovsky the guy behind Samurai Jack among other things and it's in that style, the animation is very intense and cool, the plot is as brutal as you'd hope 

Looks like you can watch it all on My4, https://www.channel4.com/programmes/primal

If I was going to point them after the opening episodes I'd say. Blood 7, Primal 8 and a half :)

Bo Burnham - Inside (Netflix)

I'd never seen any of his stuff before and wasn't really interested in watching anything that seemed inherently Covid related but a friend who usually has good recommendations pushed it on me so I gave it a go.

Really is worth a watch, it's more interesting than it is funny IMO. Not to say there aren't some good laughs but just the way it changes in tone as it goes along and manages to make a bunch of sketches about how fucked the world is and some good social commentary into some catchy little songs is really cool.

9 minutes ago, Shak said:

Bo Burnham - Inside (Netflix)

I'd never seen any of his stuff before and wasn't really interested in watching anything that seemed inherently Covid related but a friend who usually has good recommendations pushed it on me so I gave it a go.

Really is worth a watch, it's more interesting than it is funny IMO. Not to say there aren't some good laughs but just the way it changes in tone as it goes along and manages to make a bunch of sketches about how fucked the world is and some good social commentary into some catchy little songs is really cool.

Peak Bo ^

Inside is a view into deteriorating mental health and anxiety that I found both entertaining, helpful and depressive. His earlier stuff always looked like it was heading that way. He helps my mental health more than any shrink.

Edited by Kaizero

He's an amazing artist as well, the way he fully understands how to utilize the stereotypes of so many different musical styles and genres. If he wanted to he could've just been an actual musical artist.

I've seen a few of his other things are on Netflix so I'm gonna give them a go over the next while, I'll not watch that video as I'd like to see it as part of the show.

Definitely has a real talent for different styles of music, as you say.

The first song about Jeff Bezos from Inside absolutely nailed me, for some reason :lol:

The "All Eyes on Me" song was incredible where it appeared in the flow of the special, just great. Felt very Kanye which made a lot of sense after what came before.

Edited by Shak

45 minutes ago, Shak said:

I've seen a few of his other things are on Netflix so I'm gonna give them a go over the next while, I'll not watch that video as I'd like to see it as part of the show.

Definitely has a real talent for different styles of music, as you say.

The first song about Jeff Bezos from Inside absolutely nailed me, for some reason :lol:

The "All Eyes on Me" song was incredible where it appeared in the flow of the special, just great. Felt very Kanye which made a lot of sense after what came before.

All Eyes on Me is essentially the spiritual sequel to the video I posted, which has the title "Can't Handle This (Kanye Rant)", so not surprisingly they're very Kanye inspired style-wise :lol: 

I made the mistake of trying to get my lass into it by putting "what." on the other day. Bit of a mistake. 

I love all of his stuff but I have to admit that one starts out very silly and juvenile compared to the other ones. She made it about 10mins in before tapping out.

I don't think she's even consider watching Inside after that. Which is a shame because it's incredible in loads of ways. I've had Welcome to the Internet stuck in my head for weeks now.

Edited by Papavasiliou

10 hours ago, Disco said:

Got a lot of time for Big Zuu’s Big Eats.

Seriously?

I caught about 2 minutes of it by accident and it looked hideous.

I'm guessing I'm not their target audience.

What do you like about it?

Edited by Django

41 minutes ago, Django said:

Seriously?

I caught about 2 minutes of it by accident and it looked hideous.

I'm guessing I'm not their target audience.

What do you like about it?

I'm not either tbf but he seems affable enough and it's nice to see a food show with something a bit different about it. 

Just now, Disco said:

I'm not either tbf but he seems affable enough and it's nice to see a food show with something a bit different about it. 

Power to you, I guess it hinges on whether you like/ can tolerate Big Zuu.

It certainly is different from anything I've ever seen, it reminds me more of stuff I've seen on YouTube, maybe that's what they're going for.

On 17/06/2021 at 23:20, Yorkie said:

Can't get over how amazing Love, Death and Robots looks. 

loved the first season was disappointed with the second season, quality of the overall look was still excellent, just thought the storylines for most were pretty dull. Was gutted as I really enjoyed season 1 and been really looking forward to season 2 arriving. 

On 16/06/2021 at 05:36, Kaizero said:

Be interesting to know how much money is spent on a average season in general by Netflix. Sure it will be out there if I bothered to look mind. Amazon seem to be (prepared and are) to pay mega bucks for future shows (the upcoming Lord of the Rings prequel for example - was certainly an eye opener with the figures discussed. I know Netflix must spend decent money on Ozark, Better Call Saul and The Crown), so be interesting to find out how much against their competition. Amazon have a huge advantage of getting subscriptions with the free package delivery including in the bundle. I’ve got both mind and IPTV for all the other shows (HBO.,Sky etc.). Think you might not be far off the mark with your Netflix forecast.

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

Be interesting to know how much money is spent on a average season in general by Netflix. Sure it will be out there if I bothered to look mind. Amazon seem to be (prepared and are) to pay mega bucks for future shows (the upcoming Lord of the Rings prequel for example - was certainly an eye opener with the figures discussed. I know Netflix must spend decent money on Ozark, Better Call Saul and The Crown), so be interesting to find out how much against their competition. Amazon have a huge advantage of getting subscriptions with the free package delivery including in the bundle. I’ve got both mind and IPTV for all the other shows (HBO.,Sky etc.). Think you might not be far off the mark with your Netflix forecast.

The Crown is definitely the most expensive show on Netflix, and I think The Witcher and Stranger Things are up there too.  Don't think Ozark is that expensive compared to those, and don't think they pay anything for Better Call Saul at all.

Lord of the Rings is an outlier for Amazon - it's an existing property that will definitely be a success if they get it right, so it's worth pumping money into it.  Same idea Disney had with their Star Wars and Marvel shows.  All more expensive than anything on Netflix, but guaranteed to be a success.