What are you watching right now?

Money Heist Season 5

Only released half the episodes so far for some reason. Enjoyable enough as ever but feels like a series that they're just milking all they can from it. 

23 hours ago, Cf said:

Money Heist Season 5

Only released half the episodes so far for some reason. Enjoyable enough as ever but feels like a series that they're just milking all they can from it. 

Reminds me a lot of Prison Break in that sense. Clearly didn't expect it to be as big of a hit as it was and have extended it beyond what was originally planned. The quality has dropped and it's got even more farfetched but like you say it's still enjoyable. 

It's good to see a foreign show do so well to be honest. 

The best thing about Money Heist is how stereotypically Spanish everyone is.  The highly complex heist plan always goes out of the window because they keep falling in love with someone they met two hours ago and make every decision based on their emotions.

Anyone watching ITV program on 9/11? Brings it all back, can’t imagine being there. Watched the whole thing unfold in Curry’s in Kingston Park on around 20 TVs, everyone in the shop stopped transfixed at what was going on. Terrifying stuff, a hard watch, those people jumping out of desperation and the Emergency Services giving their lives…

On 07/09/2021 at 21:50, Tsunami said:

Anyone watching ITV program on 9/11? Brings it all back, can’t imagine being there. Watched the whole thing unfold in Curry’s in Kingston Park on around 20 TVs, everyone in the shop stopped transfixed at what was going on. Terrifying stuff, a hard watch, those people jumping out of desperation and the Emergency Services giving their lives…

I was taking my lunch break from my Saturday job, don’t think I’ll ever forget that day :(

Also I was so angry I was completely behind Bush when he made all the speeches about getting revenge. Lesson learned there. 

On 09/09/2021 at 11:39, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I was taking my lunch break from my Saturday job, don’t think I’ll ever forget that day :(

Also I was so angry I was completely behind Bush when he made all the speeches about getting revenge. Lesson learned there. 

It was a Tuesday!

On 09/09/2021 at 19:37, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Not currently watching it and I absolutely wont be, but I see Dave have picked up Nish Kumar's Late Night show after the BBC dropped it. From the ads it looks like its solely Nish Kumar. I can only imagine how fucking awful that will be.

:lol:

He's truly awful. Him and Josh Widdicombe are the least funny comedians going yet they're on absolutely everything. I'm not sold on James Acaster either

Watched the first episode of The Cleaner (Greg Davies new sitcom) on BBC and it was pretty good

Just realised I never posted my review of The Wire! In short: GOAT.

Season rankings and spoiler thoughts of each:

4 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 5

Spoiler

4: This was when it hit its peak. The moving to the school system and introducing an all new young cast of characters was a genius move. It's when a lot of the political stories seeded in season 3 started to come to a head too. The fact that McNulty is MIA for most of this season shows how much this show isn't about any one individual, but the city of Baltimore itself. And it works. You can literally remove the closest thing to a main character the show has and it doesn't suffer in the slightest.

2: As a standalone season this was great. I loved the setting of the docks and the working class. And despite the bleakness of it all this season also had some of the shows more funny moments. Ziggys duck, McNulty and the mannequin, Dominic West playing an American pretending to be English, Bunk on the boat, etc. This season also felt really brave - not many shows are willing to introduce an entire new cast of characters and a different setting.

1: This season seems almost quaint by todays standards. Type writers, pagers, pay phones. Mad to think this was post 2000. This season is somewhat better on a rewatch as you actually know who everyone is.

3: Season 3 feels like it's Season 1.5 and a prelude to seasons 4 and 5. Hamsterdam was an interesting storyline and the characters of Colvin and Cutty are excellent. But it mainly feels like a wrapping up of the Barksdale storyline and setting up Stanfield and city hall. Compared to the others this season feels like its lacking an identity.

5: It might be bottom of this list but that doesn't make season 5 bad by any means. It's still very good. It just didn't feel quite up to the standard of the rest. A few things just felt like they were stretching credulity a bit. The McNulty serial killer, Omar surviving from that jump (apparently based on a real life event though), Clay Davis getting off. All these things together just felt like it was pushing it a little. And whilst the inclusion of the press storyline was enjoyable enough I didn't feel it was making and kind of non-obvious point.

17 minutes ago, Cf said:

Just realised I never posted my review of The Wire! In short: GOAT.

Season rankings and spoiler thoughts of each:

4 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 5

Reveal hidden contents

4: This was when it hit its peak. The moving to the school system and introducing an all new young cast of characters was a genius move. It's when a lot of the political stories seeded in season 3 started to come to a head too. The fact that McNulty is MIA for most of this season shows how much this show isn't about any one individual, but the city of Baltimore itself. And it works. You can literally remove the closest thing to a main character the show has and it doesn't suffer in the slightest.

2: As a standalone season this was great. I loved the setting of the docks and the working class. And despite the bleakness of it all this season also had some of the shows more funny moments. Ziggys duck, McNulty and the mannequin, Dominic West playing an American pretending to be English, Bunk on the boat, etc. This season also felt really brave - not many shows are willing to introduce an entire new cast of characters and a different setting.

1: This season seems almost quaint by todays standards. Type writers, pagers, pay phones. Mad to think this was post 2000. This season is somewhat better on a rewatch as you actually know who everyone is.

3: Season 3 feels like it's Season 1.5 and a prelude to seasons 4 and 5. Hamsterdam was an interesting storyline and the characters of Colvin and Cutty are excellent. But it mainly feels like a wrapping up of the Barksdale storyline and setting up Stanfield and city hall. Compared to the others this season feels like its lacking an identity.

5: It might be bottom of this list but that doesn't make season 5 bad by any means. It's still very good. It just didn't feel quite up to the standard of the rest. A few things just felt like they were stretching credulity a bit. The McNulty serial killer, Omar surviving from that jump (apparently based on a real life event though), Clay Davis getting off. All these things together just felt like it was pushing it a little. And whilst the inclusion of the press storyline was enjoyable enough I didn't feel it was making and kind of non-obvious point.

I need to re-watch them.  But I remember enjoying season 5 the least, closely followed by 2.  Still brilliant television, just not as great as the other seasons.  

Black Mirror is pretty brilliant.  Only really been one poor episode (Waldo) out of the 6 I have watched.  Some are funny, some heartbreaking and sad, some a bit of both.

The Be Right Back episode with Hayley Atwell and Domhnall Gleeson was outstanding.  That didn't even feel like I was watching actors.  No idea how they got such chemistry across in a 45 minute episode.  

Quite enjoying thinking through each episode and what I think they are getting at.  Then reading the analysis online.