Newcastle United Gives Me No Joy

gjohnson

Posted mine last night when I couldn't get any sleep in the Bruce thread. Football clubs are meant to provide 90 minutes of escapism, solitude or whatever for fans in these times. I had it in the Championship season under Benitez, going to games, watching us or whatever. Those 90 minutes probably were one of the few things that kept me going back then when I was really struggling, fuck knows what people have now. Probably a bit deep but y'kna. :lol: Anyway here's what I posted last night:

It's vehemently frustrating, like. We've been utter shit for a season and a half under him with a handful of minor exceptions. Pundits and the media barely watch us, Sir Les albeit we love him, showed us this pre Leeds. They just look at the league table, look at results at FT and think he's doing a 'good job' as a result*. This is then contradicted by the opinions at HT and FT of utter shitshows we serve up where the team and individuals are blamed but Bruce isn't. It's Almiron being inconsistent and not scoring for ages, it's Joelinton not being good enough, it's Maxi being erratic and it's our back 4 being unorganised. Bruce is somehow absolved of this despite picking underperfomers week in week out, our good defensive organisation that was seen under Benitez and at some times last season has evaporated, the central midfielders coming deep for the ball and therefore having no options ahead of them which leads to a quick turnover of possession. Bruce just can do no wrong in their eyes because he's their mate, he's one of the lads, he's good craic and he's English which plays into the jingoistic bollocks of a lot of ex players.

*I want to build on this point. What is a 'good job'? Midtable again, in spite of not even progression being shown, only regression? This just fuels the fire of my hatred for the elitism in English football, the top 6 status quo. A good job for Newcastle is midtable, yeah their fans want to see more? Pfft, you can't touch the Man Utds, Man Citys, Chelseas of this world, be happy because you're where you belong. Just fucking fuck off you cunts. I digress, anyway:

Benitez was the antithesis of Bruce. He was a foreign manager, had a lot of success both in this country and abroad, has had the love of 4 huge different fanbases. Yet the football had the reputation of being dour, defensive stuff which a fair few morons in our fanbase bought into. The Man City home game almost 3 years ago to the day when we were a newly promoted side brought this nonsensical reputation to Rafa's Newcastle; a team that's happy to have <30% possession so long as we could keep the score down. Think back to the media reaction that night, Neville's commentary, interviewers' questions. We almost snuck a result and would've ended a Man City's side's 17 game winning run, a side that would go on to get 100 points. We lost 0-1 yet were a newly promoted team with next to no investment in the playing staff but that label stuck. I guarantee that Bruce would've gotten credit that night if we was in charge of us, or of Sheff Wed or Hull. Thing is, he probably wouldn't have had the know how to.

And it seems that we're stuck with him. We can't voice how much we fucking despise him, we don't even know if getting rid would even be the right thing to do due to choices out there and this takeover stuff. Bearing in mind, I don't believe it for a second. Either way its a rancid fucking cycle and I'm sick of it.

Funnily enough I was just about to post this in the Steve Bruce thread, but I've reached a point where I get a sinking feeling when our matches come around. Back in the Pardew days I got some perverse pleasure in wanting us to lose, but now when I see our fixtures are going to be televised live I just feel embarrassment. Watching Bruce bounce over to welcome opposition managers and pumping their hands in anticipation of them rolling us over just makes me want to crawl into a hole. Who'd want to admit to being a Newcastle fan at the moment?

20 years ago I lived and breathed NUFC with every fibre of my being. My whole life revolved around this club. I could never in a million years have envisaged what was to come. Now I don't even watch the games anymore or even check the score. I get an alert on my phone then swipe it off and that's it. It is as grim as it can get. I have a quick look on here once every week or so and that's it. All because of one man and a corrupt Premier League.

I can't believe how apathetic  I am nowadays. Just 18 or so months ago when Rafa was still in charge, on that sunny day, watching a 4-0 win at Fulham I wouldn't have ever predicted I could be so detached from what's been one of the loves of my life. I used to pass a b & m store on the walk home from the bus stop after the home games and while often feeling gutted at a loss, I'd wish I was like those customers coming out not giving a shit about the score that day or NUFC. Now I feel that way, I so miss caring and NUFC dominating my life and  moods. I think I'm gonna watch the 'We are the Geordies' thing over Xmas. Looks a good watch, but I know it's gonna sadden me and make me think of the then and now.

Said to my Leeds supporting mate when he text me the other day to gloat, I just dont fucking care. If you asked me at 16 would I feel this way I'd have told you to fuck off.

From getting the Black & White VHS's each year. To my first game against Bilbao. Getting a Beardsley teddy which I still have to this day. Crying when Cole was sold. Losing the title at Blackburn and having never felt that feeling before in my life or since. Getting a boat load of autographs each time you went to the training ground. The elation of Shearer. The desperation of Keegan going. The desperation of Ferdinand going. Finishing second on the final day with Dalglish. The fucking lunacy of Gullit. Shearer on the bench and losing at a rain pissed, uncovered SJP to Sunderland. FA Cup finals. BOBBY! And everything that came with that team and the city and the fans. Souness was a cunt. Even Roeder had European nights I went batshit at. Oba. Allerdyce was.... weird. And the he came. But Keegan again, and I had hope. We looked like a team ready to challenge again. Then he went. And it started to crumble from there.

But even then, I felt stuff. Going down with Shearer. Coming straight back up. Jose and Jonas. Hughton was a bigger factor that maybe I thought at the time tbf to him. Pardew was a CUNT. but Hatem, Ba and Cisse that year, man. Fuck.

Rafa :love:

And now here we are. The lowest we've ever been. Lower than either time we were in the Championship in a way I reckon. Just utter fucking bleakness. Shit to watch. Shit to think about. Shit to care about. Shit to hope for.

This isnt the year I started wanting to lose games to expose the clusterfuck that it is. That's been a good few years now. But what I think this year is the first for, is not caring either way. At all. Yeah I want us to lose. But Ive wanted that before, and fuck all's changed. So I'm not even putting that effort in any more.

Absolutely couldn't care less right now, total cold blooded apathy. I hated Pardew, wanted us to lose to prove a point, but at least I had emotion towards something. Now matches happen and I don't even realise, I try and watch some games and just phase out, end up wandering off to do something more productive. It's never felt this pointless before.

I'm not from the area, I fell in love with NUFC in the 90s, I've never supported another team, I just latched on and have never let go. I bought every VHS/DVD, every shirt, watched every game rain or shine, made the 300 mile round trip more than once.

It's just sad, what a waste of a generation.

I actually shocked myself at my explosive "YESSSS" when Brentford scored the other night.  30 odd years a season ticket holder and I was supporting the opposition.  What have they done to me?

The Brentford game finished the other night, I was only a wee bit bothered, more apathy, I’d usually be gutted, angry, etc but not much now.

My wife has commented on how I’m different watching a match now, I used to leap around the room if a goal went in, gutted if they score, now hardly a flicker either way , she thinks I’m ill  :lol:

Christmas games I’m hardly bothered about, our final league position I’m hardly bothered about.

I grew up in the 70’s so I’m used to shite believe me, I’ve saw some fantastic football too but I always had a passion , a real passion, now I’ve nothing really .

Nothing

I used to love the Christmas fixture period. Don't give a toss now.

Steve Bruce is the worst manager on so many levels. He's just a stain on your favourite top that you can't get out so never wear it anymore.

I more look forward to Newcastle Eagles games than I do NUFC.

As a teenager I lived away from the area and I went to a lot of away games in the early to mid 00's, including going to an away UEFA Cup game at PSV. But if you'd have told me even during the Souness era that I'd be more into British basketball in 2020 I'd have laughed my cock off.

It's not just NUFC, it's a combination of the PL and FIFA as a whole obviously pandering to the big clubs, ensuring that they remain big clubs that has contributed somewhat to my apathy. Without kidding myself were we even in a team like Everton's position in terms of ambition I'd be forking out for a ST each year. It's that easy to win me back.

As it is I'd much rather sit through 5 days of two random international cricket teams than watch 90 mins more of Mike Ashley's NUFC.

First game i watched all the Way through was the Leeds one. I can’t stomach seeing that gimp on the touch line. It’s a weird thing I still think about , talk about and read about Newcastle it’s literally a habit I won’t shake as I’ve been doing it about 25 years. But there is little emotion attached to it know

I'm exactly the same. Don't think I've watched a game this season for the same reason. My only connection to the club now is this forum

I actually shocked myself at my explosive "YESSSS" when Brentford scored the other night.  30 odd years a season ticket holder and I was supporting the opposition.  What have they done to me?

This was only the 2nd game maybe even 1st 90 mins of this season I've watched of us, don't plan on watching anymore just check the scores/news on here but boy did that Brentford goal get a huge cheer and clap from me  as is every other defeat sad times

I've gone from being a season ticket holder for best part of 30 years (went 12 years without missing a single home game, including friendlies and Anglo Italian Cup games) and regular away traveller to the point where I am now and that is I've watched us twice all season on TV, both times I was bored beyond belief and felt virtually no emotion whatsoever.

I won't bother watching these 3 games over Xmas and New Year either.

I will be watching tonight as I'm prepared to put up with the heartache as long as Bruce is squirming and sticking his lizard tongue out at a hundred miles an hour.  I want him to suffer so much.  You wouldn't believe that I'm a nice pleasant chap really.

Said to my Leeds supporting mate when he text me the other day to gloat, I just dont fucking care. If you asked me at 16 would I feel this way I'd have told you to fuck off.

From getting the Black & White VHS's each year. To my first game against Bilbao. Getting a Beardsley teddy which I still have to this day. Crying when Cole was sold. Losing the title at Blackburn and having never felt that feeling before in my life or since. Getting a boat load of autographs each time you went to the training ground. The elation of Shearer. The desperation of Keegan going. The desperation of Ferdinand going. Finishing second on the final day with Dalglish. The fucking lunacy of Gullit. Shearer on the bench and losing at a rain pissed, uncovered SJP to Sunderland. FA Cup finals. BOBBY! And everything that came with that team and the city and the fans. Souness was a cunt. Even Roeder had European nights I went batshit at. Oba. Allerdyce was.... weird. And the he came. But Keegan again, and I had hope. We looked like a team ready to challenge again. Then he went. And it started to crumble from there.

But even then, I felt stuff. Going down with Shearer. Coming straight back up. Jose and Jonas. Hughton was a bigger factor that maybe I thought at the time tbf to him. Pardew was a CUNT. but Hatem, Ba and Cisse that year, man. Fuck.

Rafa :love:

And now here we are. The lowest we've ever been. Lower than either time we were in the Championship in a way I reckon. Just utter fucking bleakness. Shit to watch. Shit to think about. Shit to care about. Shit to hope for.

This isnt the year I started wanting to lose games to expose the clusterfuck that it is. That's been a good few years now. But what I think this year is the first for, is not caring either way. At all. Yeah I want us to lose. But Ive wanted that before, and fuck all's changed. So I'm not even putting that effort in any more.

Spot on. I spoke to my brother in London yesterday, he usually pays more attention to what’s going on in spite of everything. He’s completely switched off now, zero interest like me. Ashley and now Bruce thrown into the mix has finally killed off most people’s interest for good.

Bruce confirming after that match what we all knew that he’s here just to keep us in the league is the final nail in the coffin.

I'm the least interested I've ever been like. I didnt watch yesterday, I wont watch on Wednesday and I dont think i'll even both watching who we play after that. Thats fairly unheard of for me.

I dont even have the energy to muster hating Bruce. He's terrible, but its not an injustice that he's here. He's everything the club deserves. A crappy, two bit manager for a club that simply does not try.

Bruce is but the symptom of Ashleys cancerous reign. He's the one running us with utter neglect. 17th the goal, any higher is a bonus. No investment in the training ground, leaving the stadium to rot.

Mike Ashley is the worst thing to ever happen in the history of NUFC, and until he goes, nothing with ever change and this zombie of a football club will limp on with anti-ambition.