Short Pavel story

Turnbull2000

Short true story from my Mam who was at Pav's 'last' game for the Toon all those years ago. She was lucky enough to be in a directors box that day and stayed behind for a while after the match. With the ground empty, Pav eventually wandered out on the pitch alone, holding a scarf, and stood in the centre circle admiring the ground. Tears began to roll down Pav's eyes and he began holding his face to try and conceal his emotion. He began to leave the pitch after a few minutes, shaking his head in clear disappointment - and despite the calls from those in this box for him to come up - he acknowledged them with a wave and headed into the tunnel for what seemed like the very last time.

I think I'm gonna cry now :lol:

Guest TheOrder

Met him in the fruit and veg section in Tesco on Friday, shook my hand and wished me a merry Christmas! Legend!

Which Tescos? Kingston Park?

Met him in the fruit and veg section in Tesco on Friday, shook my hand and wished me a merry Christmas! Legend!

Yep, was packed and I just looked up and there he was picking an orange just as I was getting some oranges.

Was a mad day as I bumped into Tim Krul on Northumberland Street earlier in the day and then yesterday I bumped into Damien Duff at the airport, he was picking someone up off the same Dublin flight as I was.

Guest Hibbits left foot

Short true story from my Mam who was at Pav's 'last' game for the Toon all those years ago. She was lucky enough to be in a directors box that day and stayed behind for a while after the match. With the ground empty, Pav eventually wandered out on the pitch alone, holding a scarf, and stood in the centre circle admiring the ground. Tears began to roll down Pav's eyes and he began holding his face to try and conceal his emotion. He began to leave the pitch after a few minutes, shaking his head in clear disappointment - and despite the calls from those in this box for him to come up - he acknowledged them with a wave and headed into the tunnel for what seemed like the very last time.

I think I'm gonna cry now :lol:

Pav never should have left

I met him back in '94 in 'Suits You' in Eldon Square. Just so happened that I had my camera, and my ma took our picture, after he kindly agreeded. He couldn't get over the fact that I was 'a bit' taller than he is (I'm 6'8")  bluecool.gif. He's still one helluva big bloke though.

Absolute top class fella.  :thup: If we can get him on the books as a coach, he'd be a wonderful addition to the setup.  :thup:

Guest TheOrder

Yep, was packed and I just looked up and there he was picking an orange just as I was getting some oranges.

Was a mad day as I bumped into Tim Krul on Northumberland Street earlier in the day and then yesterday I bumped into Damien Duff at the airport, he was picking someone up off the same Dublin flight as I was.

Krul still gets the 308!

Legend.

Brought back memories of my first ever game - Oldham Apr 13 1991! I met him shortly after in West Auckland of all places for a friendly game and he was the nicest bloke Ive ever met, stayed back after the game for ages signing autographs. He deserved every second of the applause yesterday, well done Pav.

When i was little i loved pav. 

I remember arriving back at st james' after the 3-1 LC defeat at the riverside.  PAv getting into his car and we were just near him and i was just sorta looking at him and he smiled at me.

I think i may have a photo with him too at ones of those junior magpie meet the players things

Cant remember what his last game was though.  I dont think he'd have known it was his last game though would he?  As he never got a game in his last season

Never heard anyone who met him not say what a true gentleman and great guy he is.

A real genuine guy in a sport which has more than it's fair share of self important prima donnas.

Absolutely spot on bloke. When they used to train at Maiden Castle, used to take the kids along. Asked Pav if he'd pose for a photo with the kids, and nowt was a bother. Even when me camera wouldn't work, (Operator error?  :lol:), Pav insisted there was plenty of time to get sorted and get a few snaps done.

As has been said, a really genuine bloke.  :cool:

Guest the_serbian_mag

I luv that story. Suppose it's true :)

I remember that clip obout him on that 'NUFC Official History' DVD, where he said that all he wants is another chance to play at SJP and all, and it's so emotional. My God, I'm so gutted I didn't get to see the game when he came on...

I met him back in '94 in 'Suits You' in Eldon Square. Just so happened that I had my camera, and my ma took our picture, after he kindly agreeded. He couldn't get over the fact that I was 'a bit' taller than he is (I'm 6'8")  bluecool.gif. He's still one helluva big bloke though.

Absolute top class fella.  :thup: If we can get him on the books as a coach, he'd be a wonderful addition to the setup.  :thup:

Does anyone here(they will have to be 50+) remember Lennie Hepple ? Lennie was Bryan'Pop' Robson's

Father-in-law, and he was a balance expert.He was credited for making Pop into the striker who was instrumental in us winning the Fairs Cup in 69 by improving his sharpness & balance on the ball.

Well, during KKs time as manager, I used to see Lennie regularly in the Lounge before games, and he was a top bloke . KK invited him down to Maiden Castle where the team used to train, in order to work with some of the players, and Lennie told me a really interesting story about Pav - apparently, he was so athletic, despite his stature, he could bend down from the waist and pick up a pound coin in his mouth !!

Anyone like to try that !!?? He could also kick his leg up the ring of a basketball net !!

He was, as those who remember his first stint here will confirm, one of the best GKs at dribbling the ball round attacking forwards when defenders played the ball back to him to boot out - sometimes, it gave you heart-failure, but it was great to watch !

The crowd used to sing ' Pavel is a Geordie', and one day, he whipped his jersey off to reveal the slogan printed on his vest !! Think it might have been after promotion, can't be sure.

Great Character, and really loves NUFC.