U.S. Politics - You f*cking useless bastards.

This is an issue that isn't receiving its due share of attention in Britain. American democracy is still under threat, and that's a problem for us all. Trump has exposed weaknesses in the American constitution that the Republicans are exploiting, and it's not clear whether there is an adequate defence.

If there are Federal elections, there should be Federal laws which establish the same voting rights and procedures in each state.

A lot of Republicans are pretending to believe in the fraud conspiracy for their own convenience. I don't just mean Senators and House Reps, I also mean voters. It feels similar to the Orwellian concept of 'doublethink'. I think it's a very slippery slope, because acting as though something is true can lead to a frame of mind where a person can lose touch with the truth.

31 minutes ago, Cronky said:

This is an issue that isn't receiving its due share of attention in Britain. American democracy is still under threat, and that's a problem for us all. Trump has exposed weaknesses in the American constitution that the Republicans are exploiting, and it's not clear whether there is an adequate defence.

If there are Federal elections, there should be Federal laws which establish the same voting rights and procedures in each state.

A lot of Republicans are pretending to believe in the fraud conspiracy for their own convenience. I don't just mean Senators and House Reps, I also mean voters. It feels similar to the Orwellian concept of 'doublethink'. I think it's a very slippery slope, because acting as though something is true can lead to a frame of mind where a person can lose touch with the truth.

Americans have form for this.

They wasted 40 years of post-war economic gain for their people because of McCarthyism - again this was about imagining a 'threat' where there wasn't any, for political gain.

The past 40 years since the Reagan/Thatcher Neo-liberal pact, we've had more 'imaginary' monsters added - the welfare cheat, the lazy immigrant, the bolshy feminist, the drunken Liverpool fan etc etc.

This just seems part of the right-wing playbook. The surprise is that people still fall for it.

22 hours ago, thomas said:

We can't do it unless the republicans like it too, vol MMXXI

tl;dr "Keeping my job is more important than your rights/health/life/kids/whatever."?

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Not a bad idea, but I’d like to see that legislation get 60 votes in…the Senate. :lol:

Maybe they’d go for it though. Keep their titles and salaries and not have to be responsible for anything of consequence.

Aye, would almost certainly have to be by constitutional convention. As to which is more unlikely I'm unsure :lol:

4 hours ago, BlueStar said:

*spins wheel* Tigers Woods car accident was an attempted assassination by the deep state to silence him before he exposed *spins wheel* the Biden family ties to *spins wheel* Gamestop!