Shearer 96/97 - Martins 06/07 vs Shearer 96/97 - Owen 05/06 vs past partnerships

James

Here is an interesting hypothetical question.

How well would a present day Martins and an at his peak Shearer have done as a partnership?

What about the pre-injury Owen and an at his peak Shearer ?

and how would both patnerships have compared to the great strike patnerships over recent years, ie Shearer - Ferdinand, Beardsley - Cole, and Shearer - Bellamy?

Tbh Shearer 96/97 was the best English striker of all time and would have been awesome with anyone.

Aye he was the benchmark of awesomeness. But could his pant-wettingly magnificent partnership with Ferdinand have been better than a partnership with the two excellent strikers we currently have on our books?

Tbh Shearer 96/97 was the best English striker of all time and would have been awesome with anyone.

Aye he was the benchmark of awesomeness. But could his pant-wettingly magnificent partnership with Ferdinand have been better than a partnership with the two excellent strikers we currently have on our books?

Personally I don't think so.

Guest Knightrider

The Shearer we signed and the Beardsley who partnered Cole would have been the best strikeforce, for me. Shearer and Martins I don't think would have worked, not like the Shearer + Sir Les and Shearer + Bellamy which also has to be mentioned as that was one fantastic partnership. Owen pre-injuries and Big Al post-injuries was a fantastic partnership at international level too. What about Shearer and Big Dunc? I thought that had the makings of a brilliant partnership, despite both being centre-forwards.

Anyway, back to Beardsley and Big Al - think of Shearer and Sheringham for England but with added brains, work rate, creativity and skill.

Guest Knightrider

Were Shearer-Ferdinand really a great partnership though, or was it just the fact they were both excellent goalscorers in their own right who had amazing service?

The latter for me, looking back without rose tinted glasses. You have to also remember Beardsley was prompting that attack from an advanced midfield role (pulling the strings) and the way the team attacked, I remember we were creating at least 5 golden chances a game (usually) and given the quality of both Shearer and Sir Les in front of goal, they were bound to get among the goals as a pair.

BTW I though Shearer and Big Dunc had great promise as a partnership despite both being traditional centre-forwards. The best yet though has been Cole and Beardsley, followed by Shearer and Bellamy.

Beardo himself says his best partner ever was Cole, and that includes Rush, Lineker, Ferdinand & Shearer. Said Cole had the best footballing brain in that he knew when the ball was travelling to him, Cole knew where & when to run because he knew before the ball got to Pedro whether he would hit a first time pass, or take a touch first.

Guest Knightrider

Beardo himself says his best partner ever was Cole, and that includes Rush, Lineker, Ferdinand & Shearer. Said Cole had the best footballing brain in that he knew when the ball was travelling to him, Cole knew where & when to run because he knew before the ball got to Pedro whether he would hit a first time pass, or take a touch first.

Aye, it was a classic partnership, both were made for each other: Cole the greedy, selfish finisher and Beardsley the unselfish creator. Cole played on the last man and Beardsley floated = perfection. the most productive partnership in the club's history I think, and they only played together for a year and a bit as well, they just clicked. Mind I also reckon the team itself played a big part too as it was set up for Cole to score goals. Everything finished with him but everything went through Beardsley first. Fantastic times, I doubt we'll see such an attacking team or such a ready-made partnership again, at NUFC or in football.

Gotta be Shearer and Ferdinand.

Agreed - these two, with Beardsley at his peak playing just behind them, would have been easily the best pairing . They were both great players with slightly-different strengths but complimentary and a real handful for any defence.Shearer's speed, prior to his injuries(don't forget the cruciate at Blackburn before he joined us) and his fierce competitive spirit, with Sir Les' all-round skill & excellence in the air

would have been a nightmare to face. Goals could have come from a variety of sources - in the air, balls behind defenders(laid on by Beardo), powerful long-range shots ; you name it.

These 2 have the edge over the other candidates.

Beardo Cole has been the best so far. That partnership had absolutely no reliance on the rest of the team, it was entirely self sufficient. Like a lesser version of Bergkamp Henry to an extent, although just as effective.

Beardo Cole has been the best so far. That partnership had absolutely no reliance on the rest of the team, it was entirely self sufficient. Like a lesser version of Bergkamp Henry to an extent, although just as effective.

agree. in terms of a partnership, bellamy + shearer is the second best, neither was at their peak then, yet complemented each other perfectly and improved each others game massively. Ferdinand + Shearer was better in absolute terms, but not much of a "partnership".

Guest the_serbian_mag

I couldn't undestand what were you aking just by reading the topic title. Thankfully, I got the idea when I read the 1st post :)

I think it would be exciting to see Shearer at his best plus Owen/Martins at his best. But tbh the only player that was playing at his best when playing alongside Shearer at Newcastle was Ferdinand and maybe Bellamy... And Guivarch....ha...ha....fck....