Elliot Anderson

joeyt

20 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I think training 5 days a week with Bruno Guimaraes, and having Eddie Howe instructing him is more useful than anything the championship could give him.

Agreed. I think hell get a lot of game time as well. We can always loan him out in January if he doesn't. 

12 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

An encouraging sign and I think a good decision. With 5 subs and hopefully a decent run in the (whatever it's called this season) cup he should get enough game time and as others have said we have a set up now that is much more likely to help him develop than before.

I think this decision might also have come about due to Shelvey's injury, as he will take a while to recover, but then also get back up to speed fitness wise.

Gives Anderson a chance to be part of the second team group of central midfielders with Willock and Longstaff.

5 subs and a good cup run will see him get a decent amount of game time. As others have said training under Howe and with Bruno etc is huge.

No reason for him to leave in January either, the schedule before December and all through January will be hectic, especially if we progress in both cups.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Just play him together with Joelinton and Bruno ahead of Shelvey, Longstaff and Willock. He'll do great.

I could see it happening and I think if Howe wants to really put Forrest on the back foot early and give them a shock this would be the way to go. I would say Anderson has done better than Willock in Pre Season but I do think it would be harsh on Longstaff. Other than Bruno he's been our best midfielder in pre season (discounting Joelinton due to his red card).

20 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Just play him together with Joelinton and Bruno ahead of Shelvey, Longstaff and Willock. He'll do great.

We forgotten everything those 3 have contributed over the last few seasons?

Anderson has had one season in League 2 man. Even Bruno had to wait 7-8 games before he really got his chance. Of course he will get his chance but no way should he be starting ahead of those 3. 

11 minutes ago, madras said:

Has Anderson much experience playing right of centre ?

He played left in the friendlies and I'm sure most of his Bristol Rovers highlights were left also.

Not sure that's where he would be played. From what I remember from the friendlies, whenever Anderson or Willock were in the team it meant the other 2 midfielders played more as a pair behind one of them. At least when we had the ball that's how it looked anyway, different when we are defending though perhaps.

Bruno  Joelinton 

Anderson 

1 minute ago, Beth said:

I'm sorry like but the gap between the fourth tier and the first tier is huge. Loan him to a Championship team for the whole season and see how he gets on.

There's quite a gap between the fourth tier in England and Mainz, Benfica and Atalanta too, and he handled those games as good as anyone else.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

There's quite a gap between the fourth tier in England and Mainz, Benfica and Atalanta too, and he handled those games as good as anyone else.

Haway man we all know friendly games have next to no bearing on anything. Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns out to be the next Chris Waddle but he should be nowhere near the first team bar the league cup game(s).

3 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Not sure that's where he would be played. From what I remember from the friendlies, whenever Anderson or Willock were in the team it meant the other 2 midfielders played more as a pair behind one of them. At least when we had the ball that's how it looked anyway, different when we are defending though perhaps.

Bruno  Joelinton 

Anderson 

Then you have him as a 10 basically and drag Joe more centrally away from covering ASM  ?

Maybe in time, I'm not convinced in the short term.

6 minutes ago, Beth said:

I'm sorry like but the gap between the fourth tier and the first tier is huge. Loan him to a Championship team for the whole season and see how he gets on.

Other than the fact he's done incredibly well and impressed everyone in pre season, I don't think we can afford to let him go out on loan. That would only leave 7 recognised CM/CAM in the squad. If we are playing with 3 in the middle every week that leaves us quite thin on the ground if 1/2 get injured (like Shelvey is now). Also that's 7 including Matty Longstaff who will almost certainly be going on loan so really its 6.

1 minute ago, CPL said:

We forgotten everything those 3 have contributed over the last few seasons?

Anderson has had one season in League 2 man. Even Bruno had to wait 7-8 games before he really got his chance. Of course he will get his chance but no way should he be starting ahead of those 3. 

I'll admit my reasons are biased in that I really really want this club to be one that has the balls to take risks by giving our own youth players a good amount of time on the pitch, even if it (at least in the short term) means we may not field the absolute strongest team available. Would much more prefer it like that over the current top teams in the league who prefers to buy older established players while having a bunch of forever-loanees never being able to settle anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Beth said:

Haway man we all know friendly games have next to no bearing on anything. Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns out to be the next Chris Waddle but he should be nowhere near the first team bar the league cup game(s).

Only one way to find out, which is playing him. 

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Then you have him as a 10 basically and drag Joe more centrally away from covering ASM  ?

Maybe in time, I'm not convinced in the short term.

I'd say so, but in reality I think the way the midfield have played has been quite fluid. Alot of players turning up in positions you wouldn't expect because they are pressing all around the pitch. So all 3 rotate to some degree, so in short I'm not sure it matter what position they are on on the team sheet for just how they produce Howes plan.

Helps Wilson out as well, even in these pre season games he has become isolated at times.

7 minutes ago, Beth said:

😒

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

I'd say so, but in reality I think the way the midfield have played has been quite fluid. Alot of players turning up in positions you wouldn't expect because they are pressing all around the pitch. So all 3 rotate to some degree, so in short I'm not sure it matter what position they are on on the team sheet for just how they produce Howes plan.

Helps Wilson out as well, even in these pre season games he has become isolated at times.

They've been fluid forward and back, not so much across the pitch and to throw an inexperienced kid into that situation wouldn't help him or us.

He looks physically ready which is usually the biggest barrier for a young player coming through. The loan, whatever the level it was at, has given him that over 6 months.

We might find out he's not ready yet and that's fine - but he looked more than good enough against Atalanta. In fact he was the pick of the bunch.