Elliot Anderson

joeyt

4 minutes ago, madras said:

They've been fluid forward and back, not so much across the pitch and to throw an inexperienced kid into that situation wouldn't help him or us.

No perhaps it wouldn't. But maybe this is the kind of season to do these things? If we don't manage to bring in anymore attacking players then Anderson is going to be involved a decent amount throughout this calendar year because he'll be one of the few attacking midfield/wide options we have. 

Edited by Mazzy

Just now, madras said:

That's rubbish. Only way to find out if Darlow would make a good forward is by playing him then ?

If Darlow was 19 years old, had played 3 minutes for us in a competitive PL game previously, but had done well against high tier opponents in pre-season and gotten glowing compliments from the manager, following a solid spell on loan the previous season then the only way to find out if he would make a decent goalkeeper at this level would be to test him out in competitive games.

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

If Darlow was 19 years old, had played 3 minutes for us in a competitive PL game previously, but had done well against high tier opponents in pre-season and gotten glowing compliments from the manager, following a solid spell on loan the previous season then the only way to find out if he would make a decent goalkeeper at this level would be to test him out in competitive games.

Heard it before re Brayson, Armstrong, Chopra etc etc etc. 

It's why some managers and coaches are better than others.

6 minutes ago, madras said:

Toney and Mbabu also? They are Premier League players

There's a history of young players not being given a chance here and then going on to prove us wrong.

Chopra got a decent amount of chances at least. Was deemed not good enough and was moved on.

Armstrong never got a decent chance so who knows how good he could have been. 

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

There's a history of young players not being given a chance here and then going on to prove us wrong.

I think you've quoted the only two to have done so in the last twenty years, and for me Toney is a Mitrovic/Gayle'esque "too good for the championship but not good enough for the PL" player.

5 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Chopra got a decent amount of chances at least. Was deemed not good enough and was moved on.

Armstrong never got a decent chance so who knows how good he could have been. 

Who knows ? The coaches etc that watch him day in day out.  Maybe we shouldn't let anyone go without trying them out in the Premier league, maybe drag kids off the street "ye neva knaa" eh ?

9 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

That wasn't due to not being given a chance, that was due to not (they did get first team games) being developed properly by our staff.

Just now, madras said:

Who knows ? The coaches etc that watch him day in day out.  Maybe we shouldn't let anyone go without trying them out in the Premier league, maybe drag kids off the street "ye neva knaa" eh ?

Considering he managed to carve his way back to the PL from League 1, maybe the coaches/manager were wrong and should have given him a chance?

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Considering he managed to carve his way back to the PL from League 1, maybe the coaches/manager were wrong and should have given him a chance?

No, he wasn't ready for his chance. It's why it took him another 2 or 3 years playing at a lower level, developing.

1 minute ago, Beth said:

I think you've quoted the only two to have done so in the last twenty years, and for me Toney is a Mitrovic/Gayle'esque "too good for the championship but not good enough for the PL" player.

Yes I intentionally mentioned those two.

But you can add Armstrong to that list also, he may have only got 4 Goals/Assists last season but that's only one less than Wood and I know who I would prefer to have playing for us.

Also Dan Burn, played in our youth set up and was released. Same goes for Fraser Forster and James Tavernier.

4 more players there who I am in no doubt would've improved any of the squads we have had over the last 10 years. 

Whether is poor coaching/lack of opportunities or any excuse it can't be allowed to continue. Not when you have Man City and Liverpool selling teenagers who have barely made a league appearance for millions of pounds.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

That wasn't due to not being given a chance, that was due to not (they did get first team games) being developed properly by our staff.

Toney (2) and Mbabu (3) made a combined 5 professional appearances for Newcastle. That isn't a chance in any manner of the word, that's ridiculous quite frankly. And you are right that it was the issue with the managers at the time but it's also an issue with the club as a whole not conducting itself properly.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know.

We do. He played first team. Wasn't good enough, wasnt ready and left. He should have been allowed to develop. He played too early in the first team out of our desperation.

Just now, Mazzy said:

Toney (2) and Mbabu (3) made a combined 5 professional appearances for Newcastle. That isn't a chance in any manner of the word, that's ridiculous quite frankly. And you are right that it was the issue with the managers at the time but it's also an issue with the club as a whole not conducting itself properly.

How many games should you give ? What's the point in a manager if the plan is to give everyone 5, 19, 35 games to find out ?

1 minute ago, madras said:

We do. He played first team. Wasn't good enough, wasnt ready and left. He should have been allowed to develop. He played too early in the first team out of our desperation.

Was played out of position (he got 47 minutes over 3 games in his natural position), 2 years younger than Anderson is now.

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Was played out of position (he got 47 minutes over 3 games in his natural position), 2 years younger than Anderson is now.

Exactly. Needed developing, not thrown into the first team "only way to find out" type bollocks.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

How many games should you give ? What's the point in a manager if the plan is to give everyone 5, 19, 35 games to find out ?

Well I'd certainly give a 20yr old striker more than 2 games before fucking him off on loan to 5 different clubs and then not even giving him a chance when he comes back from scoring 8 in 18 and selling him for peanuts. 

My entire point is there should be a plan in place for the youth players that get pro contracts and the ones we sign with potential (like Toney). But this was the problem for years under Ashley, everyone was winging it and just hoping for miracles. With Howe and Ashworth I'm hoping this stuff no longer happens.

Exactly. Needed developing, not thrown into the first team "only way to find out" type bollocks.

Going to stop it here. "Bollocks", "rubbish", suggesting I mean we should give random people off the street a shot and giving fucking Darlow a chance up top :lol: Good night.

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Well I'd certainly give a 20yr old striker more than 2 games before fucking him off on loan to 5 different clubs and then not even giving him a chance when he comes back from scoring 8 in 18 and selling him for peanuts. 

My entire point is there should be a plan in place for the youth players that get pro contracts and the ones we sign with potential (like Toney). But this was the problem for years under Ashley, everyone was winging it and just hoping for miracles. With Howe and Ashworth I'm hoping this stuff no longer happens.

Based on their pedigree I'd say it's likely that nonsense is a thing of the past.

20 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Going to stop it here. "Bollocks", "rubbish", suggesting I mean we should give random people off the street a shot and giving fucking Darlow a chance up top :lol: Good night.

To be fair you started it with "only way to find out is by playing him" may as well start the youth team then.