Oba Martins

Benwell Lad

At long last we are not missing Bellamy.

Martins pace and enthusiasm, has defenders worried to play against us for the first time in years. Just like Bellamy he is going to win corners,free kicks, throw ins and even get players sent off (like Henchoz) as they struggle against his pace.

I look forward to many years of seeing teams defending deep against us, letting us play more football. Thanks Obafemi.

Far better player than Bellamy I think. I rate Bellamy, but he was never really a goalscorer. Did he ever score more than 10 for us in a season? Martins offers the pacey threat as well as goals.

Far better player than Bellamy I think. I rate Bellamy, but he was never really a goalscorer. Did he ever score more than 10 for us in a season? Martins offers the pacey threat as well as goals.

Well said. :thup:

People need to calm down on him tbh. The hype is starting to get too big, especially with each goal that he scores. He has scored only 7 goals and has only been here 3 months. Just relax and let the boy do his stuff, no pressure and all. He's good but imo he can be better.

I love him, just can't wait to see what a player we will have given a couple more years in the premiership!

Do you think we'll be able to hang on to him though if he keeps progressing?

I hope so, hopefully we will progress alongside him!

People need to calm down on him tbh. The hype is starting to get too big, especially with each goal that he scores. He has scored only 7 goals and has only been here 3 months. Just relax and let the boy do his stuff, no pressure and all. He's good but imo he can be better.

Exactly a goal every other game for us in the league. 14 starts, 7 goals.

Certainly more than I expected  :thup:

I know. I realize that. I realize he's good as well and has been spectacular over the past 7 or so games. Still doesn't mean that he's world class and what-not. He still needs a decent partner (unless Dyer can continue to score) and can't be fully depended on yet (although we're sort of doing that since we have no one else to depend on).

Guest Knightrider

Martins is doing well but I agree, lets not get too carried away. He's doing much better than I expected him to do at this stage though (and I was one of his fans early doors when people were unfairly knocking him) which is great and even better, he has tons more to learn and can get so much better so overall, the signs are good. Next season will be the acid test for him (even if he wasn't scoring this one).

What i like about Martins is that he's getting better and better with each game, his link up play is starting to show, i wouldnt be suprised if he gets almost as many assists as he does goals. My only slight issue with him is that he opts to shoot early a lot when he could easily ruin the defender. He has been taking people on more now though.

I was wondering this.  I think he has, but i dont think he ever scored more than 7 league goals

also, would like to hear what the nigerian fa guy has to say now

Guest Knightrider

Bellamy's biggest flaw was his brittleness and lack of strength, Martins seems robust in comparison. Both different types of players though.

Martins still bothers me because he fluffs chances, in big games against the best teams you only get one chance. Bellamy is a different sort of striker, hes a support striker. Martins may have more of an eye for goal and I am very pleased he is now scoring to go with his good attitude, but I would still prefer Bellamy. Martins needs a support player alongside him to get the best out of him I would say, which would make a big difference to the team.

In the 2nd half yesterday the inability to hold the ball up and consequently concede ground was obvious. Under these circumstances Taylor and Ramage were magnificent in holding out. I like Ramage in this position, I thought some of his far post defending when he was playing left back indicated he may be a good centre back and he is developing a good partnership with Taylor. They were commanding and held their positions well. There is no frills to his game, his distribution will probably stop him becoming a top player but his courage, attitude and total committment to defending well is cementing his position at the club and I now see him as a player who can give us a lot of good years.

Butt was man of the match though. He is playing like he did when he played for manu now, when he didn't get the caps he should have got for England. He was always unlucky to be behind Roy Keane and would have been an automatic in any other side.

Guest Steven_MB

I think that Martins will be able to be a support stiker as well. pick up the bal, run at players then pass to Owen! It'll be great.

Martins still bothers me because he fluffs chances, in big games against the best teams you only get one chance. Bellamy is a different sort of striker, hes a support striker. Martins may have more of an eye for goal and I am very pleased he is now scoring to go with his good attitude, but I would still prefer Bellamy. Martins needs a support player alongside him to get the best out of him I would say, which would make a big difference to the team.

In the 2nd half yesterday the inability to hold the ball up and consequently concede ground was obvious. Under these circumstances Taylor and Ramage were magnificent in holding out. I like Ramage in this position, I thought some of his far post defending when he was playing left back indicated he may be a good centre back and he is developing a good partnership with Taylor. They were commanding and held their positions well. There is no frills to his game, his distribution will probably stop him becoming a top player but his courage, attitude and total committment to defending well is cementing his position at the club and I now see him as a player who can give us a lot of good years.

Butt was man of the match though. He is playing like he did when he played for manu now, when he didn't get the caps he should have got for England. He was always unlucky to be behind Roy Keane and would have been an automatic in any other side.

i thought butt made quite a few mistakes yesterday

Guest Moe-Ali

What are you talking about?

He doesnt fluff his chances any ammount close to be a concern.

And he didnt fluff his chances against "big clubs"

That WAS a goal against chelsea, and in the other match vs chelsea, they all couldnt finish.

The only other big club he played against, he did well, vs arsenal setting up the dyer goal, and looking like beating his man everytime he touched it.