Graeme Jones

loki679

31 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

There is no excuse for playing Ritchie as WB/LB it’s a total joke

It is infuriating. He simply cannot run. Any opposition player with an ounce of pace just glides past him. He constantly ball watches and is just way out of his depth at this level.

Lewis must be horrific in training.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

I think it’s important to note that it’s not like this squad downed tools for Steve Bruce, they genuinely liked him and of course, all the days off each week.

That’s 2 and a bit years of a culture of laziness instilled into them.

So the idea that they were somehow going to find motivation, fitness and organisational skills within 2 weeks is absolutely mental.

Some of these lot will be genuinely bummed out that Bruce is gone, the lifestyle they were living soon to be over.

It took Arteta a season and a bit to get Arsenal playing decent football (and they were calling for him to be sacked 5 games ago), fuck knows how long it would take any decent coach to get a tune out of this bunch of fuckwits.

Anyway, just a thought. I felt peeved towards Jones after the match but when you reflect on things and consider the attitudes of certain players.. well you know what am getting at.

5 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think it’s important to note that it’s not like this squad downed tools for Steve Bruce, they genuinely liked him and of course, all the days off each week.

That’s 2 and a bit years of a culture of laziness instilled into them.

So the idea that they were somehow going to find motivation, fitness and organisational skills within 2 weeks is absolutely mental.

Some of these lot will be genuinely bummed out that Bruce is gone, the lifestyle they were living soon to be over.

It took Arteta a season and a bit to get Arsenal playing decent football (and they were calling for him to be sacked 5 games ago), fuck knows how long it would take any decent coach to get a tune out of this bunch of fuckwits.

Anyway, just a thought. I felt peeved towards Jones after the match but when you reflect on things and consider the attitudes of certain players.. well you know what am getting at.

great post , i echo this on reflection 

Tactics and team selection don't seem to be Jones' strengths.

But realistically, those are for the new man anyway, so between now and then I think he needs to set some short term goals to give the new boss a chance when he walks in the door.

Firstly, work on the squad's fitness and secondly, work on their attitude - particularly if any have lost confidence or are even sulking.

The new manager needs to have the best possible chance of getting the most out of the squad we already have up until January, and that is the basic starting point.

If he does that, and hopefully flukes a point or three against Brighton, he'll have done a good job as a caretaker in my opinion.

11 hours ago, SAK said:

Jones needs to change the team.

Dubravka

Manquillo       Schar   Fernandez     Lewis

Willock         Hayden

Saint-Maximin   Almiron        Joelinton

Wilson

Rational: Almiron in his best position, Joelinton in his best position plus he can help Lewis on the left, ASM out wide where he’s most effective though not on the left but he’s good enough to play on the right, Lewis to counter Lamptey. Schar to improve retaining possession and building from the back. Willock retaining possession under the press in midfield and getting it to to the attacking quartet and breaking late into the box. Hayden sitting.

That's the team we should be fielding all the time, not just against Brighton. It's obviously our strongest lineup. To include Clark, Krafth, Ritchie and Fraser in a first team when you have that lineup available to you points to one thing - incompetence.

That lineup easily switches to a back 5, with Dummett in, Joelinton benched and Willock pushed into the #10 role.  Bring in a competent manager and I fully expect that's what we'll see from week 1 onwards.

11 hours ago, SAK said:

Dubravka

Willock         Hayden

Wilson

Rational: Almiron in his best position, Joelinton in his best position plus he can help Lewis on the left, ASM out wide where he’s most effective though not on the left but he’s good enough to play on the right, Lewis to counter Lamptey. Schar to improve retaining possession and building from the back. Willock retaining possession under the press in midfield and getting it to to the attacking quartet and breaking late into the box. Hayden sitting.

My tweaks: Going forward

Dubravka

Hayden

Fraser  Willock  Almiron   Saint-Maximin

Wilson

Defending

Dubravka

Fraser     Willock    Hayden     Saint-Maximin

Almiron 

Wilson

Edited by arnonel

49 minutes ago, arnonel said:

My tweaks: Going forward

Dubravka

Hayden

Fraser  Willock  Almiron   Saint-Maximin

Wilson

Defending

Dubravka

Fraser     Willock    Hayden     Saint-Maximin

Almiron 

Wilson

Almiron provides much more from a defensive point of view than ASM. I kinda get where you're going with that though.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Almiron provides much more from a defensive point of view than ASM. I kinda get where you're going with that though.

Almiron seems to naturally track back anyway. No reason why he can't do that from CAM to help Lewis out, leaving Maxi out wide to pick it up and run at the defence, with Almiron catching up to support.

13 hours ago, SAK said:

Dubravka

Willock         Hayden

Wilson

Joelinton should be nowhere near the team.

We all know that Shelvey will be back in against Brighton too.

3 hours ago, GWN said:

great post , i echo this on reflection 

Its the usual suspects. Basically the middle of the park and the defence is just one soft gooey mess.

It’s so easy to play against us when there’s no pace, physicality or intelligence in those areas. Like a hot knife through butter

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Its the usual suspects. Basically the middle of the park and the defence is just one soft gooey mess.

It’s so easy to play against us when there’s no pace, physicality or intelligence in those areas. Like a hot knife through butter

I'll keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, but once Darlow is replaced by Dubravka, and the fitness levels are improved upon, that problem disappears.

When Jones came in originally and we fielded a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield, 2 wide strikers, played it out the back and pressed higher up the pitch we looked very dangerous -- mind you with a team of  Manquillo, Lewis as fullbacks. Schar & Fede/Lascelles at CB. Hayden sitting with Willock and Longstaff as CMs. Almiron central as a #10 and WIlson and Maxi up top - we looked a threat going forward and we were controlling games.  We basically played that really well with at home to Southampton and few more matches before Wilson and Maxi got hurt and then tried to get it to work with Gayle and Joelinton and Fraser. 

I'm shocked we didn't go back to that when he took the interim gig tbh. 

Edited by Kanji

2 hours ago, toon25 said:

Joelinton should be nowhere near the team.

We all know that Shelvey will be back in against Brighton too.

If he plays Ritchie, Krafth, Shelvey, Clark and Darlow, man.

I'd rather not turn up.

Guest reefatoon
8 minutes ago, marki said:

he,s a trainer  and a very good one

Where's the evidence? The players look shot to bits.

4 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Where's the evidence? The players look shot to bits.

There is no solid evidence beyond his arrival coinciding with a slight upturn in our results last year, and the fact that Southgate took him to the Euros as a coach.

As painful to admit as it is, we've probably been worse in his two matches than we would have been under Bruce.

I think a lot of his goodwill has simply been down to the fact that he's not Bruce, and worked with Martinez at various points.

28 minutes ago, Kanji said:

When Jones came in originally and we fielded a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield, 2 wide strikers, played it out the back and pressed higher up the pitch we looked very dangerous -- mind you with a team of  Manquillo, Lewis as fullbacks. Schar & Fede/Lascelles at CB. Hayden sitting with Willock and Longstaff as CMs. Almiron central as a #10 and WIlson and Maxi up top - we looked a threat going forward and we were controlling games.  We basically played that really well with at home to Southampton and few more matches before Wilson and Maxi got hurt and then tried to get it to work with Gayle and Joelinton and Fraser. 

I'm shocked we didn't go back to that when he took the interim gig tbh. 

The split striker shite we played caught Everton off guard but we then lost to Palace, beat Southampton after going down to 9 men and then failed to win until Burnley away 2 months later. It got found out and Bruce (and you've got to include Jones at this point) could not adapt to teams adapting to that new formation. We were at times playing games we had to win with no recognised striker on the pitch.

Jones is just trying to shithouse points until the next manager comes in. And even that is failing. Playing ASM up front nullifies what he's good at so much that it's like playing with 10 men. Jones is continuing to do that. He's seemingly frozen out Fernández, continually playing Clark, Lascelles and Krafth ahead of Schär, playing Ritchie at wing back, Fraser in centre midfield. Nah. Jones can fuck off too tbh. 

Absolutely desperate for a new manager now, like.

26 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

The split striker shite we played caught Everton off guard but we then lost to Palace, beat Southampton after going down to 9 men and then failed to win until Burnley away 2 months later. It got found out and Bruce (and you've got to include Jones at this point) could not adapt to teams adapting to that new formation. We were at times playing games we had to win with no recognised striker on the pitch.

Jones is just trying to shithouse points until the next manager comes in. And even that is failing. Playing ASM up front nullifies what he's good at so much that it's like playing with 10 men. Jones is continuing to do that. He's seemingly frozen out Fernández, continually playing Clark, Lascelles and Krafth ahead of Schär, playing Ritchie at wing back, Fraser in centre midfield. Nah. Jones can fuck off too tbh. 

Absolutely desperate for a new manager now, like.

Split striker seemed to work when Willock, Wilson were fit. It fell apart as soon as Wilson got hurt. Remember in that Southampton game off went Maxi too. Further Bruce also dropped WIllock for a period of games as well. 

Not saying it would turn our fortunes around and it be some revelation again - but that clearly was a plan and it was well drilled and focused. We have most of those players still here and fit - yet he played Krafth, Clark at CB. Ritchie at LWB. Still had Schar, Willock and Almiron not in the lineup (know WIllock is hurt). 

Edited by Kanji

If how flat I'd feel going into Brighton without changes is anything to go by, it can't be good for the team.

The only thing flatter than that and the inevitable rotten game from our point of view would be not bringing in Schar, Dubs, Fernandez, Miggy and even Willock and/or Hendrick who have little to none on them from the last few weeks.

Wholesale changes to the team is the best we can do and hope to see something.