Graeme Jones

loki679

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Does anyone have any particular thoughts on the performance of Graeme Jones?

I just want a clean broom - so Jones, the Steves and Charnley gone.  I can tolerate them for transitions but they need to be gone.  Get rid of anything that was around the Bruce and Ashley era!

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Does anyone have any particular thoughts on the performance of Graeme Jones?

People took to him because it gave us another stick to hit Bruce with when he came in and the team immediately had that performance away at Everton. But overall I'm far from convinced of him as a coach because no one has improved one bit. The 3 games he's taken;

Palace - lucky to get a point, Benteke should probably have had a hattrick.

Chelsea - embarrassingly bad, not one semblance of an attacking threat. I understand how good Chelsea are but that was a mess; the performance, tactical set up, everything. Dreadful.

Brighton - First half is one of the most embarrassed I've ever been watching Newcastle, it was an absolute disgrace. Improved second half and should've won it really, but on the whole still meh.

2 points from those 3 games is probably more than we'd have gotten under Bruce, but fuck me. The plan has clearly been to keep games at 0-0 or 1-0 until around the 70th minute then try and shithouse something.

9 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

People forget Jones is a coach and not a manager , 2 points from

them three games isn’t a bad return really regardless of how poor we played .

2 points is a horrible return from those games like. You would expect 3 minimum but would be aiming for atleast 7.

I'm not saying even Howe would have gotten that but he would have tried for it. Graeme Jones tried for 3 points (3 draws), it's completely inexcusable regardless of whether or not he's a manager. He took the job on then sent us out to park the bus at Palace and Brighton :lol:

This doesn't automatically mean he's a bad coach but it isn't the best advert in the world for keeping him on and I'm certainly not thankful for his input.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Why are we judging a coach on the managers role? Luton was sufficient to show it's not his forte.

I'd be more concerned that he was a party to what seems a lack of fitness and training sessions, but without knowing the full facts I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a SB policy - the fact that Jones immediately increased the days supports that.

There were a lot of grim elements Vs Brighton but even if he's started to repair some of the damage from Brucey(fitness etc) then hopefully it's a better platform for Howe (if [emoji38]) to build on...

You don't have to be a manager to realise that Darlow is rubbish, Fernandez and Schar are better than Clark and Krafth, Ritchie is a liability at LWB, Almiron should have been playing all of the games, Max is much more effective out wide and that 5-3-2 doesn't work for us.

He said something along the lines of when you’re a coach your ideas don’t always get used but now he is caretaker he can use them. I don’t know what they were. 

I am however a fan of his two jacket approach on Saturday, I’m a big fan of layers when the weather worsens. 

Edited by Ste

21 hours ago, Dokko said:

As limited as he is as a manager I really don’t think it warrants the abuse he’s receiving in this thread. Seems a decent guy with the club at heart. He’ll go back to being a coach and probably do a good job under Howe. 

He's not getting abuse.

Abuse would be saying he's a cunt, we hate him, etc. That's not happening. People are just saying that he's not up to the job and is making horrific decisions in terms of personnel, line-up, tactics and formation. There's nothing remotely "abusive" there, it's just a critique of his professional capabilities running (however briefly) the team we all support on the forum about that team's progress.

I don't doubt Jones is a decent bloke and likeable, and I bear him no ill-will as a fellow human being. I just don't want him anywhere near the first team of my football team if he cannot tell that what he sent the players out to do in the last 3 games was diabolical.

1 hour ago, Hhtoon said:

Why are we judging a coach on the managers role?

Probably because he is the manager? :lol:

However briefly, however transient his tenure, right here and now and for the last 3 games he's been (and still is) the manager. So that's what we're judging him on. Seems fair to me.

Plus people's expectations aren't high - Just put the right players in the right positions and press the opposition a little. You don't need years of top-flight managerial experience to do that. Literally ANY of us could do that. He's failing at the absolute basics. Not the basics of "management", the basics of being able to recognise who our best XI are and what formation to play. Absolutely no management "skill" is necessary for that, none.

18 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

He's not getting abuse.

Abuse would be saying he's a cunt, we hate him, etc. That's not happening. People are just saying that he's not up to the job and is making horrific decisions in terms of personnel, line-up, tactics and formation. There's nothing remotely "abusive" there, it's just a critique of his professional capabilities running (however briefly) the team we all support on the forum about that team's progress.

I don't doubt Jones is a decent bloke and likeable, and I bear him no ill-will as a fellow human being. I just don't want him anywhere near the first team of my football team if he cannot tell that what he sent the players out to do in the last 3 games was diabolical.

A prick, a cunt and a coward. That's abuse and all aimed at him on the page previous to my comment. So yes, its abuse.

It's a minority saying those things, and they're out of order IMO.

Though coward could refer to his tactical setup, which was cowardly and is maybe fair game to say but should probably be caveated as being in relation to his team tactics. Prick and cunt, definitely not on. But the overwhelming majority are just critiquing his team selection and tactics, and the anger is understandable there.

6 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

It's a minority saying those things, and they're out of order IMO.

Though coward could refer to his tactical setup, which was cowardly and is maybe fair game to say but should probably be caveated as being in relation to his team tactics. Prick and cunt, definitely not on. But the overwhelming majority are just critiquing his team selection and tactics, and the anger is understandable there.

When you have those kind of words mixed in with a bout of genuine criticism (even so it got very personal) then it looks bad, it looks like the hounding we were branded with over Bruce, who genuinely received very little compared to his distain for the fans and his ability as a manger. Jones is 3 games in and we know he's a stopgap yet is getting the same levels. Next time the fans are accused of hounding & abusing managers lets all not get so pissy, because its completely correct as we've proven with Jones....after 3 fucking games (2 away draws & 1 defeat from league leaders and current CL holders)

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

Probably because he is the manager? :lol:

However briefly, however transient his tenure, right here and now and for the last 3 games he's been (and still is) the manager. So that's what we're judging him on. Seems fair to me.

Plus people's expectations aren't high - Just put the right players in the right positions and press the opposition a little. You don't need years of top-flight managerial experience to do that. Literally ANY of us could do that. He's failing at the absolute basics. Not the basics of "management", the basics of being able to recognise who our best XI are and what formation to play. Absolutely no management "skill" is necessary for that, none.

Not everyone is though are they and he's getting abuse - don't care if it is the minority! [emoji38] Some people want to get rid on the basis of those 3 games as manager. Most of my post relates to his coaching so thought it was obvious that's what I was referring to.

To be clear, his management has been lacking imo, but I don't see that as a reflection of his coaching or a reason to get rid. I'd like to know why he doesn't play Schaar, Fed or Willock - could be lack of fitness or attitude? 

Edited by Hhtoon

6 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

2 points is a horrible return from those games like. You would expect 3 minimum but would be aiming for atleast 7.

Aiming for at least 7, so ideally 9 points from 3 teams superior to us, 1 vastly so.

And people wonder why we're called deluded. 4 points was the best we could have ever hoped for, given personnel, confidence and form. 

9 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

[emoji38]  

At least 7 from Chelsea, and Palace and Brighton away?  Palace just beat Man City and Brighton drew with Liverpool.

3 hours ago, Chizzletooth said:

Aiming for at least 7, so ideally 9 points from 3 teams superior to us, 1 vastly so.

And people wonder why we're called deluded. 4 points was the best we could have ever hoped for, given personnel, confidence and form. 

Any manager should be aiming for 6 points from Palace and Brighton. That's not delusional :lol:

Parking the bus against Chelsea is forgivable. 

Coming out with 2 points from 3 games having actually given it a go is different to fluking 2 points after just lying down and letting them humiliate you.

The bickering is a bit redundant at this point. The bottom line is that Howe should have the final say on whether or not Jones stays on, and in what capacity. If not here, I’m sure Jones will easily land a decent coaching gig elsewhere.