Graeme Jones

loki679

Just now, Rafalove said:

Why will Bruce be fuming?

Yeah I don't get it either. More likely to take credit for it than be 'fuming'.

Fair play to Jones, good for him.

None of us actually know the effect he had on our season; my instinct is that it's been massively overstated. From where I was sitting we were still mostly terrible despite his arrival, that game at Everton aside, and the only tangible evidence regarding our uptick in results is the form of Willock and the return to form of ASM after a spell out of the side. So unless his role was to obstruct Bruce from doing something mental like putting Saivet in goal and ASM at left-back, I'm dubious about his supposed impact. 

Our best players came into fitness and Fulham kept the pressure off. Pretty much all there is to it imo.

6 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Why will Bruce be fuming?

Eh? It’s all about recognition with Bruce. He feels the manager should get the plaudits they deserve for turning around the season and finishing safely. He’s right and that’s happened; Jones has been called up to the England setup. [emoji38]

He will be fucking foaming. Two for Tuesday, twice, tonight for Steve. 

31 minutes ago, STM said:

Really hard to judge the merits of a coach but it would seem Jones has made a huge impact with us and has, at the very least, a good reputation amongst other managers and coaches.

This makes him so much more palatable as a potential manager than Bruce. I obviously wish we had more ambition but...

It's hard to gauge his actual impact tbh, we did seem to be playing a bit more pressing football when he arrived, but after a run of bad results we reverted to defending in numbers and trying to play on the break. Even that tactic only worked once we had ASM fit again, and with Joe Willock working miracles off the bench. 

It's really hard to know if the improved results were down to Jones or just us having our best players back. But recognition from Southgate does seem to indicate he is held in high regard, so that is something.

It was laughable when we were running that mental split striker formation a while back mind, and that was rumoured to be Jones' favoured system. Makes me a bit wary of putting too much of our improvement down to him.

Maybe he's a good coach but there's no evidence he's a good manager. 

He might be a good coach. He might be a good manager. But he also might be neither, there's no way of telling at this point.

We really need the takeover to happen, then we need to appoint a proven manager befitting of a big club with some ambition. Rafa was a quality appointment, and that certainly seemed to piss off a lot of pundits and writers. Maybe they think he was too good for us, and we are more suited to muck and nettles types like Bruce or Pulis. 

It really did seem to rile a lot of people around the country that we landed the Mighty Rafa. 

35 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's hard to gauge his actual impact tbh, we did seem to be playing a bit more pressing football when he arrived, but after a run of bad results we reverted to defending in numbers and trying to play on the break. Even that tactic only worked once we had ASM fit again, and with Joe Willock working miracles off the bench. 

It's really hard to know if the improved results were down to Jones or just us having our best players back. But recognition from Southgate does seem to indicate he is held in high regard, so that is something.

That game against Everton was direct from his copy book, they weren't prepared or expecting it and we won well.

Teams soon adjusted and we reverted back to a counter attacking style. Play to your strengths and all that. Something he's brought in has been a quicker tempo of passing on the counter, decisive link ups to create space etc, no way that was Bruce.

The thing is though, ASM and Wilson were creating most of the chances, the latter getting most of the goals. So the resulting patchy form without them wasn't Jones fault, it was Bruce's. He had the team for a season already, he should have known there was fuck all goals in this side if you take out aforementioned players. There was nothing to work with.

If we don't replace Willock's goals we're going to be in the same mess next season, Jones or not. ASM even if we keep him will pick up injuries, Wilson has his issues too.

Jones brought a willingness to change.  Change formation, change philosophy.  Brewce was stuck in a rut he couldn't get out of. He was more adept at making excuses than he was at implementing change, any change.

Jones is no tactical genius but he had the guts to push ahead of Brewce and do something.

Bruce will be making a statement to the press..."I'm delighted for Graeme and it's a great honour for the club. I knew when I appointed him that he would develop into a top coach. Obviously working with myself and the other Steve's, with all of our massive experience has been hugely beneficial to him, and we wish him luck

10 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Bruce will be making a statement to the press..."I'm delighted for Graeme and it's a great honour for the club. I knew when I appointed him that he would develop into a top coach. Obviously working with myself and the other Steve's, with all of our massive experience has been hugely beneficial to him, and we wish him luck

Well in a way that could be true. You can learn from other people's mistakes aswell  your own

Well done Graeme!!!

Just goes to show what all of us have been thinking since the upturn. Disgrace that Bruce gets recognition for manager of the month.

Do you think he had the dignity/humility to give it to jones?:whistle:

21 minutes ago, buzza said:

Well done Graeme!!!

Just goes to show what all of us have been thinking since the upturn. Disgrace that Bruce gets recognition for manager of the month.

Do you think he had the dignity/humility to give it to jones?:whistle:

He's been steeling a living for the past 20 years. What makes you think he's going to become honest now🤔😁

Edited by Bishops Finger

1 hour ago, buzza said:

He he he he, giggling here at the thought of Bruce being called up to help England, can you imagine?:2funny:

'Reet young Phil, forget aaall that fancy Dan shite Pip Godola's been teaching ye, I just want yee to get oot there and mek a difference, alreet Son'.