Joe Willock: Out for the remainder of the season with Achilles injury (Hope)

41 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

I mean, 25m isn't a wild fee these days and I think plenty of clubs gamble that kind of money. Basically anyone other than the top 6 I could see potentially being interested. Everton Villa Leeds West Ham. Plenty of teams that would take 25m punts on promising players imo.

Exactly. It's not a huge fee for a player his age, I think the main thing putting other teams off is maybe they want a midfielder who puts his foot in a bit more. But that's more important for teams who want to play pressing football, for us he's probably a very decent signing, since we play on the break. 

The way we play probably makes him look the best he'll be at any team tbh. It's a good move for both sides. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Exactly. It's not a huge fee for a player his age, I think the main thing putting other teams off is maybe they want a midfielder who puts his foot in a bit more. But that's more important for teams who want to play pressing football, for us he's probably a very decent signing, since we play on the break. 

The way we play probably makes him look the best he'll be at any team tbh. It's a good move for both sides. 

I really hope* Bruce will just accept what we are now and stop bullshitting about trying to change the style.   There's no shame in being a counter-attacking team and we're well setup for it with ASM, Wilson, Almiron & now Willock.  Would rather they focus on being good at it instead of him pissing about with formations and bollocks to try and "open up".  Play 352/532 and do it well, could easily make the top half if fitness goes your way.

*I mean I don't give a shit anymore but you know

12 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

I really hope* Bruce will just accept what we are now and stop bullshitting about trying to change the style.   There's no shame in being a counter-attacking team and we're well setup for it with ASM, Wilson, Almiron & now Willock.  Would rather they focus on being good at it instead of him pissing about with formations and bollocks to try and "open up".  Play 352/532 and do it well, could easily make the top half if fitness goes your way.

*I mean I don't give a shit anymore but you know

I actually thought Bruce was always happy to sit back and defend, except it doesn't work when you are missing key players like ASM and Wilson ( pre-Willock). I was under the impression that it was Jones who tried to make us a more pressing team, but again, that only works if you have really dynamic midfielders, and...well Bruce wants to play Shelvey....

I think Jones was probably the one who looked at the players we had, and made a decisive choice that this is the best way to play them. Bruce even trying to switch to 'his way' and just hoping it would work sums him up perfectly. 

The good old “leave it late so they think it’s the best signing ever” tactic coming off again. Great mask to the fact we’ve not strengthened at all.

Pleased he’s coming back, but all it does us keep us standing still and he’ll be flogged at the first opportunity.

Another season ahead of trying to win the bottom half with three decent players and dreadful football played by a throughly dislikable manager.

Guest reefatoon

He didn’t sign straight away. Fully expecting the big bairn Bruce to be in massive huff with him and have him benched for weeks.

2 hours ago, SEMTEX said:

Couldn't be arsed to work out how to change to pounds, but....

AIolwqe.png

All big fees with certain types of risks imo.

They had the benefit of knowing they were going to get £100m, mind. :lol:

Leicester & Brighton (who got £50m for a player themselves) are still the only other clubs outside the Premier League darlings to pay more than £20m for a single player this summer.

14 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

They had the benefit of knowing they were going to get £100m, mind. :lol:

Leicester & Brighton (who got £50m for a player themselves) are still the only other clubs outside the Premier League darlings to pay more than £20m for a single player this summer.

So about half the league then. 

You have to take ya hat off to Ashley, selling the club , still willing to part with £25m for Willock 

doesn’t have to? 

could sell ASM if he’s such a cunt? 

he could just liquidate us 

Jones could do something with a midfield like that, hopefully. As Bruce doesn't do tactics and Jones has "a little input" I see little reason how it could go wrong. Bruce I think still has final say though on teams

58 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Jones could do something with a midfield like that, hopefully. As Bruce doesn't do tactics and Jones has "a little input" I see little reason how it could go wrong. Bruce I think still has final say though on teams

Not sure Almiron is a midfielder or ASM is a striker TBH. 

Bruce has played a 3-5-2 since the Brighton game which coincided with our best run of the season, so I assume he's wanting to stick with that formation. ASM was almost always up front alongside a more contemporary forward. Different from 19/20 where it seemed he was more on the wing as you'd expect. https://fbref.com/en/players/2b16cb1a/matchlogs/2020-2021/summary/Allan-Saint-Maximin-Match-Logs

Miggy was played in the midfield trio usually during that run mostly. That last game against Fulham it was him and ASM up top https://fbref.com/en/players/862a1c15/matchlogs/2020-2021/summary/Miguel-Almiron-Match-Logs 

50 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Well done to Lee Charnley for ensuring that not a penny on wages has been wasted in completion of this deal. Your SD gift card should be in the post.