Joe Willock: Out for the remainder of the season with Achilles injury (Hope)

4 hours ago, GWN said:

Thought it was me being unfair but I said to my lad during the game how shite Willock had been.

Didnt do much wrong but actually didn’t do anything at all? 

Needs to up his game , got his move so too comfortable? 
I said he could go down the route of Kennedy who we all clamoured for and then went to shit second season, I see so many similarities in Willock.

Heard that comparison made by someone shuffling down the Gallowgate steps afterwards, then by someone in the Bodega then by someone in the Town Wall last night :lol:

£20m? Dear me.

I think we all knew his goal scoring form at the end of last season was unsustainable. But, his general play yesterday was horrific. I honestly forgot he was playing he did that little. 

Hopefully we can get the old Willock back, and quickly. Otherwise he should be nowhere near the starting XI based off of that performance yesterday.

We know he can finish and can drive forward, we’ve seen it, but it’s just not happening for him. He needs a run of games, get match sharp and get some confidence back in his game, one goal maybe at his old stomping ground next week? 

8 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

£20m? Dear me.

I think we all knew his goal scoring form at the end of last season was unsustainable. But, his general play yesterday was horrific. I honestly forgot he was playing he did that little. 

Hopefully we can get the old Willock back, and quickly. Otherwise he should be nowhere near the starting XI based off of that performance yesterday.

I see what you're saying, but what's the alternative? I always feel there's at least the hope he might make a late run into the box when he's in the side. I can't bring myself to face the axis of misery that is Hayden-Longstaff again, both of who offer nothing whatsoever.

We desperately need a couple of centre mids in January.

19 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

I see what you're saying, but what's the alternative? I always feel there's at least the hope he might make a late run into the box when he's in the side. I can't bring myself to face the axis of misery that is Hayden-Longstaff again, both of who offer nothing whatsoever.

We desperately need a couple of centre mids in January.

Fair point. Hopefully we can see just 50% of what he offered last season. I’m sure Howe will get him back to his best. 

Agreed we can’t rely on Hayden - perhaps Longstaff may also improve? 

Pretty clear we need two centre midfielders, full backs and one centre half minimum. 

8 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Fair point. Hopefully we can see just 50% of what he offered last season. I’m sure Howe will get him back to his best. 

Agreed we can’t rely on Hayden - perhaps Longstaff may also improve? 

Pretty clear we need two centre midfielders, full backs and one centre half minimum. 

Defensive and creative midfielder (Howe seems to think that maybe could be Shelvey though), with the only difference I have I think we need a striker, as Wilson's injury record suggets he will miss another part of the season.  

I didn’t think he was as bad as some made out. I actually thought he looked lively getting forward, on and off the ball. He has the energy and speed to press high and even though Shelvey was much improved. It still felt like he was doing a lot of Shelvey’s running and work. 

Watching the highlights back. He did get caught on the ball in some bad areas. 

Hardly been in the team this season and was struggling with an injury early on. I think he’ll be an important player in Howe’s set up. 

EDIT: Where in Howe’s set up remains to be seen. Perhaps in a midfield 3 or than likely further forward if we were to play the 4-2-3-2/4-4-1-1.

Edited by Lush Vlad

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I didn’t think he was as bad as some made out. I actually thought he looked lively getting forward, on and off the ball. He has the energy and speed to press high and even though Shelvey was much improved. It still felt like he was doing a lot of Shelvey’s running and work. 

Watching the highlights back. He did get caught on the ball in some bad areas. 

Hardly been in the team this season and was struggling with an injury early on. I think he’ll be an important player in Howe’s set up. 

Same. He was afforded more space yesterday by Maxi being out wide as he drags players out to him. He just needs more confidence and belief in himself as we all know he has the ability. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

11 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

I think he works better in a midfield three, playing more advanced and allowed to roam.  Then he can press a little higher or cut out passing lanes.  He's not a true midfield defender.

He doesn't need to be, but if you are going to play in central midfield, you have to be prepared to do the dirty work as well. Howe wants to play a pressing game, it won't work if every player isn't doing it. 

Didn't think he was that bad today tbh, he was involved a lot more than the last couple of games. But him and Shelvey are never going to work as a pairing. We need a bit more steel in there, Willock was nicking the ball quite skilfully a few times, but he doesn't relish the phsyical battles, saw him pull out of one 50-50 at least.

I thought he was good today and don’t get the hate. He broke up play quite well in the first half and made a few runs to carry the ball in the last minutes. By all means he made a few poor decisions and touches, but he contributed far more than Shelvey and a lot of others in the team today

The only way Willock becomes useful again is if there’s a lockdown.  Lad clearly drops his arse in front of a crowd.  Classic ‘must be great on the training ground’ type.  Offers absolutely nothing, Arsenal pulled Bruce’s pants down.

Does make you wonder what would have happened if Shola played in the time of COVID.  Probably would have broke Dixie Dean’s record. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

The only way Willock becomes useful again is if there’s a lockdown.  Lad clearly drops his arse in front of a crowd.  Classic ‘must be great on the training ground’ type.  Offers absolutely nothing, Arsenal pulled Bruce’s pants down.

Does make you wonder what would have happened if Shola played in the time of COVID.  Probably would have broke Dixie Dean’s record. 

Think it's a lot more that he's just not suited to a 2 man midfield like that. Needs 2 behind him really and playing alot more advanced. 

Arsenal spent the summer assembling a young squad and we're happy to ship him out pretty easily so they probably don't rate him much. Early days but I don't think he'll turn out to be the success we hoped for here. We need Hayden back in there if we are going to paly this kinda system.

5 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

He’s a bit like a poor Kevin Nolan. Decent at finishing chances but a pretty limited all round game.

He's nothing like Kevin Nolan, he's miles quicker and that alone makes him more suitable for the modern game. I thought he was one of our better players today tbh.