Joe Willock: Out for the remainder of the season with Achilles injury (Hope)

Overall very good, few dodgy spells in the 1st half but it looked down to a lack of confidence to me. Got better as the game went on, hopefully he can take some confidence from it and build from this. 

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Different player in the second half like, you have to credit him and the manager for that. From disinterested to motivated within the span of 45 mins. 

Keep it up Joe, you would be walking in to our shambles of a midfield. 

Agree with this. Thought second half he was far better and increased his effort.

He has ability no doubt, but probably need confidence and a true position.

Hats off though he did well, as did all the midfield.

2 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Agree with this. Thought second half he was far better and increased his effort.

He has ability no doubt, but probably need confidence and a true position.

Hats off though he did well, as did all the midfield.

Midfield , key to staying up like.

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

Much better second half. Was making clever runs for first time this season. Hope he kicks on from that. 

He was making clever runs in the first half as well, people just weren't seeing it because they were getting too outraged when he had a bad touch. He's not the best at ball retention, and he wasn't last season either, but nobody else drives forward like he does and he looks to hurt the opposition. 

It's odd, he's a no 10, but he's not all that creative. He's closer to Almiron than say Riquelme in terms of what he offers. I think when we're counter attacking he looks great, it's just a case of what can he do to influence the game outside of that/

“I felt we really did compete well in that area. Our athletes in the team came to the fore. Sean Longstaff and Joe Willock, as the two attacking midfielders, put in a tireless shift there, they were box to box.”

Howe's view on Willock which I agree with. Is he good enough? Not really, but he does have the ability to cover ground and compete with high energy teams like Leeds.

I hope this is also an insight into Howe's thinking regarding midfield. We haven't been linked with many central midfielders, but some journalists are saying we definitely want one in this window. 

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Disagree massively on Longstaff being an athlete tbh, but he sees him much more than me. Willock defienitely has the legs/atheltic ability. Still need a DM.

Yeah I disagree on Longstaff as well, might have to watch the second half again at some point to see what he done. With Joelinton out the DM position has become even more urgent. Supposedly Joe's stats in 42 mins on the field were equivalent to Shelvey's over the full 90 mins. 

He's very much a final third player. His strengths lie in smart off the ball movement and fast counters. He's wasted further back, but is having to play there out of necessity. We desperately need a midfielder to sit with Shelvey and give him freedom to roam.

32 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Disagree massively on Longstaff being an athlete tbh, but he sees him much more than me. Willock defienitely has the legs/atheltic ability. Still need a DM.

I guess he's an athlete in the way that he could run at a pretty slow pace forever

Easy to say now as we have no other choice, but agreed, let's hope the leeds 2nd half was a turning point and the break and trip away was a season reset for him to get over whatever physical or mental struggles he's had this year. He now has Bruno sweeping up behind him which should give him more license to burst forward like he did last year. Got 8 goals in 14 games which is highly unlikely to be replicated but it's nearly identical to Lingards 9 in 16 for west ham. 

There is a player there and hopefully through the disappointment of missing out on an attacking midfielder, Willock can take the opportunity to show us what he's got. 

Same goes for Fraser, Almiron and Murphy to a lesser extent. This club is going places and they have a chance to show their worth to us in the short to medium term. Otherwise they are all out the door in 6 months time.  (maybe not all if we go down :))

agree, we didnt get a mobile/pacy striker in or a goalscoring midfielder.

we really need to push this kid further upfield with bruno behind him.

best finisher in the squad bar wilson (based on last season, mind).