Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

How long until Bruce tells us the problem with trying to attack is we leave ourselves wide open, we are going back to basics, he’s a 442 man and he’s going to do it his way?

I’ll give it until we take a bully ramming at Old Trafford. 

2 minutes ago, JeffJ said:

How long until Bruce tells us the problem with trying to attack is we leave ourselves wide open, we are going back to basics, he’s a 442 man and he’s going to do it his way?

I’ll give it until we take a bully ramming at Old Trafford. 

Oh yes, he'll have to get his traditional Old Trafford forfeit in and have a laugh with Ole about it straight after first

Invidiual moments of brilliance score us goals, dreadful coaching and tactics lose us the game over 90 mins. We rely on the opposition having a stinker to pick up points. Second half Bruce was humiliated.

16 minutes ago, TBG said:

"Look, today wasn't about the result. It was about seeing our wonderful supporters back in the ground, and maybe that got the best of us"

[emoji38] it probably will be something like that.

Players need time to adjust to crowds being back etc.

He said: "Defensively we've got to be better. For me the big turning point is the penalty.

"I know we've made a big thing of VAR, for the life of me I can't understand why the referee who is 10 yards away can't just come and check because I think he comes and checks then he thinks differently.

"It was a decent game in the first half, but defensively we have to admit we have to be better."

He said: "That's what VAR is supposed to be there four. I've looked at it four or five times and it looks really harsh to me.

"Martin is 10 yards away from it, why doesn't he go and check it rather than asking somebody's opinion 300 miles away.

"We were always a threat and just after half-time we had the chance to score again. We have to sharpen up defensively that's for sure.

"Once we leave ourselves exposed then it becomes difficult for us.

"Overall I was really pleased with a lot of it but we have to be better defensively."

(I've copied that as Ryder put it, I can't believe he typo'd "four" and "for" :lol:)

Edited by nbthree3

43 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Do you know what is crazy? I was reading the book “why England lose” (highly recommend it) and they mentioned the trope of managers blaming penalties for losing a game, whereas if they win they say “it made no difference”. It’s like a well worn cliche, and the data basically showed it makes no difference to the result essentially 

It was an absolutely crucial moment tbf. Certainly we didn't play well 2nd half but a decision like that does have a big impact.

His team selection was the definition of insanity today. and Lascelles either both need starting or at least over Krafth. Hayden as an 8? He has some legs but needs to play as a DCM. Longstaff needed to start over Shelvey as he at least can get up the pitch better. 

In any case, just shocking 2nd half and took far too fucking long before he changed it. Part of me feels 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or the diamond 4-4-2 thing Jones brought needs bringing back. 

Manquillo, Lascelles, Schar/Fede, Lewis 

Willock, Hayden, Miggy

joe/Fraser, Wilson, Maxi 

Need to sign that Cajuste or Kamara ASAP. 

54 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Do you know what is crazy? I was reading the book “why England lose” (highly recommend it) and they mentioned the trope of managers blaming penalties for losing a game, whereas if they win they say “it made no difference”. It’s like a well worn cliche, and the data basically showed it makes no difference to the result essentially 

I mean, they didn’t even score the penalty. 

Knew he would blame the defenders, I mean we conceded 4 goals so that's the obvious answer. He's not going to talk about how disjointed we were, or how we end up losing control of the game because he's just chucking players at the situation without any idea of how they will work as a unit.  

How would you expect to impose your game on the opposition when the midfield is Shelvey and Hayden, and the full backs are Ritchie and Krafth?  

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Sure, just it’s a well worn cliche that the losing manager will blame the penalty, and the winning manager will say it didn’t matter anyway. We still lost by two goals. They scored 3 times in 13 mins, I don’t think the penalty is responsible for that, that’s indicative of a bigger issue and we had zero shots second half. Don’t see how conceding a penalty would make us unable to attack. It’s too easy to blame the penalty 

Of course, the big problem is how we played 2nd half. It's just wasn't good enough.