Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

12 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

When the takeover was looking better than now I didn't want him, just a name that didn't excite me. Now I'd rip you hand off for him, he seems likeable, competent and plays good football. Think he'd be a really good fit even with Ashley.

I'd be very surprised if Mike Ashley FC appealed to Eddie Howe in any way. The sky's the limit for him so why would he come to a club where you're deliberately obstructed from achieving anything? For the likes of Pardew, Bruce and McClaren it's a great move cos they're a long way into their careers and going nowhere but down anyway. For Benitez, it was a terrible move as well. I still think he's great but his stock undoubtedly fell thanks to three years working here.

So long as Ashley's here what use is it having a manager we like or a manager we don't like, beyond it papers the cracks for a little longer? Criticising Ashley doesn't work and praising him doesn't when he's so stuck to the self-sustaining policy. Rafa was never going to work out with Ashley, Bruce was never going to work out with any owner and whoever's next will face the same problems as before sadly

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'd be very surprised if Mike Ashley FC appealed to Eddie Howe in any way. The sky's the limit for him so why would he come to a club where you're deliberately obstructed from achieving anything? For the likes of Pardew, Bruce and McClaren it's a great move cos they're a long way into their careers and going nowhere but down anyway. For Benitez, it was a terrible move as well. I still think he's great but his stock undoubtedly fell thanks to three years working here.

Eddie Howe probably doesn't see Newcastle United as you do or others on here do. He'll see it as a PL job at one of the bigger clubs in the league and without wanting to sound like a delwdid jawdee™ I don't think many other PL clubs of our size would look at him. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Plus given the fact that literally anyone in management would be able to keep this squad up with ease coupled with he's worked with Wilson, a player who highly rates Howe as a manager/coach, and Fraser when the former and latter had a really good partnership at Bournemouth, all he has to do is come in for ~2 years, clean up Bruce's mess and keep us up, keep us out of a relegation fight next season while playing decent stuff and his stock is even higher. He'd probably improve players like Lewis and improve the general fitness and ethos of the team. Don't know how he'd be towards Fraser given what happened at the back end of the tenure at Bournemouth mind. :lol: 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

On 25/08/2021 at 22:31, GWN said:

results , crowd will turn ive tipped it before the season started , cute cunts now but you watch . The crowd are horrible, Southampton win, Man U win and then Leeds stuff us …..they WILL turn ok. 

he may not be sacked but the crowd after Leeds will go against him 

predicted this last month for this Leeds game , we will see the start of the end for him , won’t be long Steve .Time to go

3 minutes ago, GWN said:

predicted this last month for this Leeds game , we will see the start of the end for him , won’t be long Steve .Time to go

When the local papers turn, it's only ever a matter of time.

Whether there'll be enough time to save us from the Championship is another matter

I think Eddie Howe is astute enough to know that there's colossal risk involved for him in taking this job. He turned down one of the biggest clubs he could possibly wish to join at this stage of his career, because they wouldn't agree to demands around his coaching staff. Celtic was an unbelievable opportunity for him but he fucked it off because it wasn't right. If Ashley's NUFC were to come in for him I think he'd be more than savvy enough to be aware of the way managers here are treated and would seek very particular assurances which inevitably would not be forthcoming. They wouldn't give them because they know - after Rafa - it's more hassle for them than it's worth. 

All a moot point of course cos Steve Bruce will be here until we're taken over. 

I think Howe would seriously consider coming here tbh, he'd look at the players like Wilson, Willock, ASM and Fraser, and think he could make something work with that. Celtic is a huge club, but the Scottish league is Mickey Mouse level, and IMO that makes NUFC more attractive to most. 

Whether Ashley would be prepared to give him assurances on his staff requirements might be the biggest stumbling block. I think Howe is probably well used to working with financial constraints when it comes to player recruitment. 

I once thought that Jones could be a suitable replacement for Brewce but I no longer feel that way.  Some guys are born assistants: great at implementing tactics, or running some portion of the training but don't have the ability to run the whole show and be the frontman.  Jones received a lot of plaudits for his work with the England squad but that was under Southgate, which probably gave Jones a lot of confidence.  I think now, under Brewce, Jones' training acumen has been marginalized and I also don't think he's as tactically astute as we thought.  The players still play in roles that don't fit together.  I'm sure Jones will get the temporary tag and I'd like to see him do well but he's only a short term solution.  To be fair, I'd have second thoughts about any manager that would agree to work for Ashley.  They'd have to be totally daft.

Guest reefatoon
23 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Totally agree. He’s the “great coach but not good manager” example if ever I’ve seen it 

I’d question if he is a great coach. Might be a canny coach, but if our system is down to him then it’s not great coaching.

Edited by reefatoon

I find it fascinating that anyone thinks Bruce is under any pressure whatsoever; close to the boot, the beginning of the end etc.

Ashley doesn’t sack managers. He gambled time and time again with Pardew, let Carver take us to a single game shootout to survive and risked it with Bruce last season despite a growing possibility of danger.

If you think Bruce would resign… :lol: He’d end up sitting in the stands or something to avoid the grief long before that arsehole would walk without a payoff.

There is no chance. More chance of us starting next season in the Championship with Bruce tbf.

If by some miracle Bruce is canned I would absolutely like to see Jones take over, because otherwise the alternative will be the likes of Pulis, Hughes, Pardew again or goodness knows who else.

With those sorts of options we'll be going down anyway, and so would much rather take a flyer on a guy that would at the very least not be a miserable, work shy, dinosaur that relishes negative defensive football.

He's already getting rattled and the ire has barely begun, he's had a super easy ride with covid, Friday will be a new level for him and I can't see him taking it well at all. Fingers crossed he hoys the toys and doesn't come back. How much resilience will he show?

What we know is that Rafa could turn that side into a well organised unit that performs better than the sum of its parts.

Eddie Howe isn’t that kind of manager and I think he would struggle massively coming into this absolute mess, knowing that he probably wouldn’t be backed in January.

His final season with Bournemouth they were a shambles.

Don't underestimate the absolute rot that Steve Bruce has allowed set in, it would take a remarkable manager/coach to turn that around.

Bournemouth were always going to go down eventually, given the size of the club. They had injuries that last season which Howe himself claimed they had serious issues with. He'd get infinitely more of a tune out of this lot than Bruce, and fans would get behind him as he's not a cunt. And actually 'does tactics'. I really think just a change in the dugout would bear fruit for this team. Bruce is that bad.

We may as well be sat here discussing whether Kylie Jenner would be better in bed than our current wives.

No point really, we’ll never know. Especially when your wife won’t leave you and you’re unable to divorce her. Even before you factor in Kylie wouldn’t want us.

Edited by Fantail Breeze