Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don’t know why Ashley doesn’t think the same. I know his job is to keep us up but what players are we going to make a profit on? He must be near an £80m net spend? We could probably double our money on ASM but don’t think that’s anything to do with Bruce, and Fraser by default we might get £8m for but he was a £15-20m player a year before we got him. 

Schar was a probably similar at the end of that 18/19 season, Longstaff in the £25m category based on potential. Lewis was being lined up by Liverpool as Robertson’s long term replacement, he can’t even get in ahead of a Championship level winger in his favoured position. Joelinton would probably get £8-10m from a Turkish club or something if we’re lucky. Throw in the 5-10k tickets we’re down other than giveaways and surely Ashley can see now he’d have been better giving Benitez what he wanted and a bit more freedom in the transfer market.

Ashley doesn't want to know about the minutiae. He just wants to make a profit with as little risk and personal input as possible. Why would he care about this player'r attributes or potential when he doesn't really give a shit?

It's all clickbait with Edwards. His journalism/content isn't good enough to generate the traffic required like other journalists so he's resorted to being  the Katie Hopkins of North East correspondents. Starve him of oxygen and let him suffocate in the vacuum. 

1 minute ago, Keggy_Keagal said:

It's all clickbait with Edwards. His journalism/content isn't good enough to generate the traffic required like other journalists so he's resorted to being  the Katie Hopkins of North East correspondents. Starve him of oxygen and let him suffocate in the vacuum. 

Exactly. So posting him on here s the response he's looking for.

Don't do it. Same with all of the pricks out there.

My self imposed exile didn’t last long :lol: need to vent about how shit it all is.

The only benchmark I’m going to be comparing Bruce and his band of merry bell ends on the coaching staff to for the most part is his first season; 2019-20, as I’m a firm believer that football with full grounds in and lockdown football are two completely different sports. Other teams have stepped up in intensity and speed in moving the ball and in their press. We haven’t. We’ve seen yesterday’s performance all the time last season, from just the top of my head, Brighton (h), Man Utd (h), Chelsea (h), Fulham (h), Leeds (h), Arsenal (h). All home games where we looked petrified of leaving our own third against sides that didn’t even deserve that kind of respect, so the only outlet is hoofing it straight back to the opposition and they were the performances that would have seen the reaction from the crowd yesterday.

This 5-3-1-1 that we’re playing is fucking terrible. It’s got wingers playing as wing backs in a system that always enables a numerical advantage to the opposition in wide areas via an overlapping full back which allows any team playing 4 at the back with attackers out wide crossing opportunities almost at will. In turn, our wing backs can’t get forward to create width of our own because they’re always back defending due to there being no outlet whatsoever other than punts up to ASM or Wilson so turnovers of possession happen almost all the time when we get the ball back. It’s got a number 10 with a slight frame who can’t defend playing in centre midfield and a very good winger playing almost like a fucking target man due to long balls being the only out ball, so our 18 yard line is always under pressure. The 3 man midfield almost as deep as the back 5 so there are absolutely zero options in the middle going forward. The formation is pretty much self fucking harm.

In 2019-20 we played a back 5 all season other than away at Leicester (went down to 10 men and lost 5-0) and the last 3 games before the first lockdown; Burnley (h) which was a 0-0 draw, 2-3 win at West Brom in the FA Cup and 0-1 win at Southampton. Still we were defensively solid in 2019-20 pre COVID, especially at home. I’ve wondered whether that was defensive tendencies instilled by Benitez were yet to wear off or simply the formation played. We played 5-2-3 or 5-4-1 with ASM and Almiron out wide; that meant the numerical advantage the opposition can get in wide areas didn’t exist then as they came back and helped Manquillo and Dummett/Ritchie with the overlapping full backs of the opposition, plus because of ASM and Almiron wide with wing backs we had an out ball. Now that’s gone.

We can easily go 4-2-3-1; Woodman, Manquillo, Lascelles/Fernandez, Schar, Lewis, Willock, Hayden/Shelvey, Murphy/Fraser, Almiron, ASM, Wilson. Players in their actual positions. Options going forward and (relative) protection for full backs and the centre halves. Almiron in his position which has seen his best games for us; West Brom away in the cup, Southampton at home last season.

Another thing I have to say about us under Bruce is his game management is absolutely shocking. Taking the lead in the 90th minute and not winning is absolutely scandalous. Even games in the past; Leicester away, we were 0-4 up with 10 minutes left, he takes Willock and ASM off and it stripped us of our engine and pacy outlet and we end up pretty much fucking hanging on. :lol: West Brom away in the cup, Almiron gets 2 goals and plays a key part in our 3rd, Bruce takes him off, West Brom score 2 and we’re hanging on at the end again! West Ham, 2-0 up at HT, them down to 10 and guess what? We let them fucking equalise before Willock bailed us out. Absolutely shit. Then he’ll go like ‘ah it wouldn’t be Newcastle if it wasn’t dramatic’ or ‘this job should come with a health warning’. No, Steve. It’s your own tactical ineptitude you gormless cunt.

He has to change things again as he’s still playing lockdown football and he won’t last this whole season whilst trying to do so imo. Admittedly probably when it’s too late, but still.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

My self imposed exile didn’t last long :lol: need to vent about how shit it all is.

The only benchmark I’m going to be comparing Bruce and his band of merry bell ends on the coaching staff to for the most part is his first season; 2019-20, as I’m a firm believer that football with full grounds in and lockdown football are two completely different sports. Other teams have stepped up in intensity and speed in moving the ball and in their press. We haven’t. We’ve seen yesterday’s performance all the time last season, from just the top of my head, Brighton (h), Man Utd (h), Chelsea (h), Fulham (h), Leeds (h), Arsenal (h). All home games where we looked petrified of leaving our own third against sides that didn’t even deserve that kind of respect, so the only outlet is hoofing it straight back to the opposition and they were the performances that would have seen the reaction from the crowd yesterday.

This 5-3-1-1 that we’re playing is fucking terrible. It’s got wingers playing as wing backs in a system that always enables a numerical advantage to the opposition in wide areas via an overlapping full back which allows any team playing 4 at the back with attackers out wide crossing opportunities almost at will. In turn, our wing backs can’t get forward to create width of our own because they’re always back defending due to there being no outlet whatsoever other than punts up to ASM or Wilson so turnovers of possession happen almost all the time when we get the ball back. It’s got a number 10 with a slight frame who can’t defend playing in centre midfield and a very good winger playing almost like a fucking target man due to long balls being the only out ball, so our 18 yard line is always under pressure. The 3 man midfield almost as deep as the back 5 so there are absolutely zero options in the middle going forward. The formation is pretty much self fucking harm.

In 2019-20 we played a back 5 all season other than away at Leicester (went down to 10 men and lost 5-0) and the last 3 games before the first lockdown; Burnley (h) which was a 0-0 draw, 2-3 win at West Brom in the FA Cup and 0-1 win at Southampton. Still we were defensively solid in 2019-20 pre COVID, especially at home. I’ve wondered whether that was defensive tendencies instilled by Benitez were yet to wear off or simply the formation played. We played 5-2-3 or 5-4-1 with ASM and Almiron out wide; that meant the numerical advantage the opposition can get in wide areas didn’t exist then as they came back and helped Manquillo and Dummett/Ritchie with the overlapping full backs of the opposition, plus because of ASM and Almiron wide with wing backs we had an out ball. Now that’s gone.

We can easily go 4-2-3-1; Woodman, Manquillo, Lascelles/Fernandez, Schar, Lewis, Willock, Hayden/Shelvey, Murphy/Fraser, Almiron, ASM, Wilson. Players in their actual positions. Options going forward and (relative) protection for full backs and the centre halves. Almiron in his position which has seen his best games for us; West Brom away in the cup, Southampton at home last season.

Another thing I have to say about us under Bruce is his game management is absolutely shocking. Taking the lead in the 90th minute and not winning is absolutely scandalous. Even games in the past; Leicester away, we were 0-4 up with 10 minutes left, he takes Willock and ASM off and it stripped us of our engine and pacy outlet and we end up pretty much fucking hanging on. :lol: West Brom away in the cup, Almiron gets 2 goals and plays a key part in our 3rd, Bruce takes him off, West Brom score 2 and we’re hanging on at the end again! West Ham, 2-0 up at HT, them down to 10 and guess what? We let them fucking equalise before Willock bailed us out. Absolutely shit. Then he’ll go like ‘ah it wouldn’t be Newcastle if it wasn’t dramatic’ or ‘this job should come with a health warning’. No, Steve. It’s your own tactical ineptitude you gormless cunt.

He has to change things again as he’s still playing lockdown football and he won’t last this whole season whilst trying to do so imo. Admittedly probably when it’s too late, but still.

Fucking glorious 

Hope's probably the best local journalist we have, usually a lone figure in the backdrop of happy campers at the club peddling what the hierarchy would want to hear. He doesn't shy away from criticising -  "you calling me a liar?" and had a row with McClaren too "I'm not the problem, you are Steve" 

Just now, Joey Linton said:

It's pathetic that he still remains banned at the start of the new season. 

S'good though. I mean, in the grand scheme of things it's barely a crumb of solace, but I do enjoy a mainstream journo sticking it to Bruce. His ban being upheld is only gonna fuel that. 

Anybody who challenges the typical media narrative on Bruce gets respect from me, we have Sunderland fans in the comment here justifying his dismissal, 22 points in 28 games. We're 27 points in 26 games so marginal gains and all that 

Ashley doesn't see runs of form like 27 points in 26 games, that'll do us well for 40 points and safety (or comfortable safety knowing 29 points kept you up last year) so it's fine for the hierarchy. And he doesn't want to pay the "7 figure" compensation fee so that's another thing going, too lucrative to sack when you could've spent the money getting him here on Rafa's contract extension?? 

Edited by nbthree3

I know the saying there’s lies, damn lies and statistics. But how can ‘serious’ journalists not report on what’s actually really going on with our club both on and off the field?

The answer is very much like the cause of our failed takeover. An old boys network in charge of decisions, this one is a bunch of hacks deciding to protect their mate   

Personally if I was plying my trade as a journalist I’d be embarrassed that my reporting was accepted as club propaganda by the very people I was allegedly reporting on behalf of. Edwards must drink a bucket of cocoa to sleep at night he’s the Lord Haw-Haw of nufc journalism. 

Edited by RS

Guest neesy111

It's not just results though, it's how dire the football is and as Hope says then praying for some magic from ASM or Wilson taking his chances.

8 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Ashley doesn't see runs of form like 27 points in 26 games, that'll do us well for 40 points and safety (or comfortable safety knowing 29 points kept you up last year) so it's fine for the hierarchy. And he doesn't want to pay the "7 figure" compensation fee so that's another thing going, too lucrative to sack when you could've spent the money getting him here on Rafa's contract extension?? 

It seems obvious Bruce is aiming for a point a game, and that Ashley endorses that approach. Going by that thinking, they're only two points behind where they want to be, and only need a single win to catch up after the upcoming Old Trafford massacre. They will be comfortable for a long time - chants or no chants

Just now, neesy111 said:

It's not just results though, it's how dire the football is and as Hope says then praying for some magic from ASM or Wilson taking his chances.

It's how bad the football is, while telling us how much better it is than a few years ago. 

Just now, Ben said:

If Bruce does leave this season (I know) is it a given that Jones will take over or will they go for someone like Howe? 

Pretty sure they'd just let Jones take charge.

Considering Bruce is very likely going to take us down anyway, quite honestly, they might as well just put Jones in charge.

Think Jones is more likely to figure something out, and even if he doesn't and we suffer the same fate as we would have under Bruce, at least we won't have to suffer hearing the drivel Bruce spouts every single week.

It's really telling that in Bruce's appointment article the club gloss over his managerial career :lol:

A former Wallsend Boys Club player, Bruce began a decorated professional career at Gillingham, where he carved out a reputation as a solid and determined centre-half with a favourable goalscoring record.

After a three-year spell at Norwich City, which included winning the League Cup, he moved to Manchester United, where he would go on to lift three Premier League titles, three FA Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup, as well as a further League Cup.

Bruce made 84 appearances for Birmingham City between 1996 and 1998, before a career in the dugout got underway with a player-manager role at Sheffield United.

In a 21-year coaching career since, Bruce has taken charge of a further eight clubs and has clocked up more than 900 competitive matches.

8 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

It's really telling that in Bruce's appointment article the club gloss over his managerial career :lol:

A former Wallsend Boys Club player, Bruce began a decorated professional career at Gillingham, where he carved out a reputation as a solid and determined centre-half with a favourable goalscoring record.

After a three-year spell at Norwich City, which included winning the League Cup, he moved to Manchester United, where he would go on to lift three Premier League titles, three FA Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup, as well as a further League Cup.

Bruce made 84 appearances for Birmingham City between 1996 and 1998, before a career in the dugout got underway with a player-manager role at Sheffield United.

In a 21-year coaching career since, Bruce has taken charge of a further eight clubs and has clocked up more than 900 competitive matches.

The last bit sounds like something you could easily change from coach to kit man.