Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Ben said:

Did Freddy Shepherd not sell Ferdinand, then try to cancel the deal after Shearer was injured 

Les hadn't actually left but he'd given Tottenham his word and felt he had to honour it.

Anyone remember 'honour'?

Might be an odd view but don’t think selling Ferdinand would have been bad if we’d replaced him properly. He was 30, we got our £6m back, he was starting to get injuries and the goals started to dry up. He had a random good season at the end of his career with Leicester and that was it.

Guest HTT II
53 minutes ago, TRon said:

And a 15 stone John Barnes. 

One of my fave players of all time. If I could describe how my boy plays, he plays like Barnes, I enjoyed his brief spell here, he showed, like Kluivert, what a class act of a player he was even for us at that age/stage of his career. Love him as a bloke too. Him and Pearce were decent for us!

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Might be an odd view but don’t think selling Ferdinand would have been bad if we’d replaced him properly. He was 30, we got our £6m back, he was starting to get injuries and the goals started to dry up. He had a random good season at the end of his career with Leicester and that was it.

He had plenty goes at it.

Tomasson, Andersson and Ketsbaia had all smashed it in weaker leagues. Rush and Barnes were brilliant 10 years prior. Perhaps we should've just pooled all the money together and bought Ian Wright or Robbie Fowler.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I wonder if his plan if Shearer hadn’t got injured was 4-3-1-2 with Tomasson in the hole behind Shearer & Asprilla? He finished the season before playing all 3 of Shearer, Tino and Ferdinand in a straight 4-3-3.

I've watched Jon Dahl's highlight compilations on youtube and he just seems like a tap-in merchant. Not a bad quality for a forward to have but I'm not convinced he was the brilliant footballer people think he became after leaving us. He doesn't strike me as someone who could've play the Beardsley role in behind the forwards.

I'm the same. Tomasson was slow on the ground and slow in the mind and not capable of contributing anything outside the penalty area. 

Dalglish buying both Tomasson and Andersson could only really be beat by someone signing Joelinton twice for poor transfer marketedness.

Guest neesy111

Selling ginola and then letting Beardsley with no replacements for that outlet was our biggest issue imo. 

Edited by neesy111

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I wonder if his plan if Shearer hadn’t got injured was 4-3-1-2 with Tomasson in the hole behind Shearer & Asprilla? He finished the season before playing all 3 of Shearer, Tino and Ferdinand in a straight 4-3-3.

That 4-3-3 was incredible. Dalglish tricked me with that, I'll never forgive him for it. I thought it was going to be the way forward for the team, 8 months later Sir Les was gone as was Tino and players who could also have worked in that 4-3-3 in Ginola and Beardsley were too . 

8 minutes ago, Keggy_Keagal said:

That 4-3-3 was incredible. Dalglish tricked me with that, I'll never forgive him for it. I thought it was going to be the way forward for the team, 8 months later Sir Les was gone as was Tino and players who could also have worked in that 4-3-3 in Ginola and Beardsley were too . 

He also got rid of Robbie Elliott who was playing on the left of a midfield three with Batty & Lee and was scoring for fun. :lol:

6 hours ago, Candi_Hills said:

Shit. Inherited the greatest Liverpool team of all time. You just had to put them on the field. He deserves some credit for winning the league with Blackburn but they did spend a hell of a lot. Newcastle shit. Liverpool 2 shit. I think he won something in Scotland with Celtic. Barely counts. 

At Newcastle he signed about 40 players in 18 months and found 3 good’uns. 

You're mostly right. But shit at Liverpool? Just no. He actually "inherited" a team in decline (Souness gone, he himself at the end of his career, Rush with one eye on Italy), plus Everton emerged and blew everyone away in 84/85 so that brought pressure and with probably their worst overall team of the 80's won the league in 85/86 as player manager. No small feat. He then put together (spending plenty in the process, yes) what is widely regarded as the team of that decade in 87 with Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge absolutely destroying teams. They put 4 past us at St James and could have scored double figures. So no, not shit at Liverpool at all. The rest I agree with and I absolutely hated what he did at the Toon, dismantled a team of brilliant players with over the hill tripe.

21 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I agreed with this view at the time so not that odd. That pre-season game where JDT scored a nice finish and we got our first glimpse of Hamann as well, I really thought we were going places. In the end though, Dalglish put too much value on stopping teams rather than letting our players do their stuff. It didn't work very well for us coming down from the Keegan wonder years. 

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I agreed with this view at the time so not that odd. That pre-season game where JDT scored a nice finish and we got our first glimpse of Hamann as well, I really thought we were going places. In the end though, Dalglish put too much value on stopping teams rather than letting our players do their stuff. It didn't work very well for us coming down from the Keegan wonder years. 

JDT and Hamann never played with each other.

JDT was with NUFC 1997/98 and Hamann 1998/99.

21 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

JDT and Hamann never played with each other.

JDT was with NUFC 1997/98 and Hamann 1998/99.

Maybe I'm mixing the pre-seasons together then, definitely saw them both first in friendlies before the season started. 

11 minutes ago, ED209 said:

Hmm could this be takeover linked?

I was assuming we would go for Rafa since he is still available, but we don't really know who is in charge of recruitment at PIF or what their preferences would be. Or if they'll even be in any position to have a say since they don't own the club.