Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

27 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Still beggars belief that 21% think our football is entertaining. Have to presume they are masochists, or stuck in torturous lives where watching 11 in black and white hide from a football is more entertaining than being beaten with sharp sticks

Guest reefatoon
Just now, gjohnson said:

Still beggars belief that 21% think our football is entertaining. Have to presume they are masochists, or stuck in torturous lives where watching 11 in black and white hide from a football is more entertaining than being beaten with sharp sticks

There is a certain breed of fan who won't say anything negative about the club. they feel they bleed black and white and have to stay loyal no matter what. Fucking idiots in other words.

11 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

There is a certain breed of fan who won't say anything negative about the club. they feel they bleed black and white and have to stay loyal no matter what. Fucking idiots in other words.

This is true, there was a program seller a few years ago that was totally supportive of anything the club did and protected/defended their every action, he's probably on furlough as Charnley's assistant by now.

Still find that really surprising, especially in The Athletic where the comments section reflects this place a great deal. So for even the Chronicle to reveal that its readers are unanimous in their aversion to Bruce etc, I find it mystifying that it would be so different in The Athletic. Figures are iffy imo.

20 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Still find that really surprising, especially in The Athletic where the comments section reflects this place a great deal. So for even the Chronicle to reveal that its readers are unanimous in their aversion to Bruce etc, I find it mystifying that it would be so different in The Athletic. Figures are iffy imo.

Not really....the Chronicle is free, while the Athletic has to be paid for. 

Different demographics amongst fans so some variation should be expected

3 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Not really....the Chronicle is free, while the Athletic has to be paid for. 

Different demographics amongst fans so some variation should be expected

Don't see why that should make a difference tbh. 

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Don't see why that should make a difference tbh. 

Well it shouldn't, but it does. As much as i don't want to be insulting i'd think that 60/70% of the fan base would not want to pay for an Athletic subscription.

The ones that would be prepared to pay are more than likely better informed of the situation, and less susceptible to the 'support the team, not the regime' that seems to be prevalent amongst a large section of the match day going crowd. The ones that just go to 'get away from the missus, or a piss up day in town' are not likely to pay for any kind of serious analysis

12 minutes ago, joeyt said:

How does paying for The Athletic make it for a higher percentage to be happy with Bruce/the club?

Older fans who have the means to pay and remember the truly grim times, and consider being in the top division the pinnacle of achievement 

2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Older fans who have the means to pay and remember the truly grim times, and consider being in the top division the pinnacle of achievement 

I very much doubt your EastStanders, grumpy old sods in their 60s, are paying for an Athletic subscription.

Don't think I am...the Athletic readership compared to the Chronicle is miniscule, and generalising  it is likley to be the older more affluent crowd who can/will pay for the Athletic and seem to think that these last couple of seasons are good comparted to the late 80's

24 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Well it shouldn't, but it does. As much as i don't want to be insulting i'd think that 60/70% of the fan base would not want to pay for an Athletic subscription.

The ones that would be prepared to pay are more than likely better informed of the situation, and less susceptible to the 'support the team, not the regime' that seems to be prevalent amongst a large section of the match day going crowd. The ones that just go to 'get away from the missus, or a piss up day in town' are not likely to pay for any kind of serious analysis

Proof of this? I'd be inclined to believe the opposite tbh. Those that are of the means and desire to pay for the more detailed and involved reporting of something like the Athletic would be more likely to be critical of this whole sham operation. Than those who only really read things from local papers all things NE and Newcastle more likely to be a bit more apologetic and dismissive. 

12 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Proof of this? I'd be inclined to believe the opposite tbh. Those that are of the means and desire to pay for the more detailed and involved reporting of something like the Athletic would be more likely to be critical of this whole sham operation. Than those who only really read things from local papers all things NE and Newcastle more likely to be a bit more apologetic and dismissive. 

Yeah, I'd agree with this. I think it would be more likely to be the other way around too. 

57 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Don't think I am...the Athletic readership compared to the Chronicle is miniscule, and generalising  it is likley to be the older more affluent crowd who can/will pay for the Athletic and seem to think that these last couple of seasons are good comparted to the late 80's

Struggle to believe this, like.

How was The Athletic survey done? To be fair to the Chron, it was at the very least open to one and all to have a say. 

24 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Struggle to believe this, like.

How was The Athletic survey done? To be fair to the Chron, it was at the very least open to one and all to have a say. 

Even if they conducted identical surveys, the Chronicle will have a far larger reader base than the Athletic just by the nature of being free.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Athletic is probably one of the best collections of sporting journalism going, but compared to a free long established (disregarding quality) paper is always going to be more popular

1 minute ago, Gonzosgone said:

Looks like a flawed survey - minimum possible score of 20%. So they asked people to rate from 1-5 so if everyone scored us as a 1 (lowest) we would still score 20%

Ah. :thup:

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

If people were asked a range of 1-5 bad to good, and 20% of people thought it was being ran some variation of goodish+, then that means 20% of people likely answered 4 or 5. Its not everyone clicked 1 so its 20%. Thats not how they work

They explained it as being the mean average of all respondents' scores converted into a score out of 100. It's a daft way to do it, like.

Edited by NEEJ
Because I wanted to edit it.