Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

23 minutes ago, STM said:

It's not a case of his sacking being "rubber stamped" by PIF. I think it's more a case of our chairman sitting down with Staveley over the weekend and talking through her business plan, which will include the makeup of the boardroom, the structure of the club, the purpose of a DOF, who they want as manager and of course investment into all areas of the club.

Yes they could sack Bruce today but PIF are going to want to know why (especially since 8m quid is needed) and they are also going want to know the plans for the future. Bruce is a small part in a bigger picture which is being discussed behind closed doors.

Big, big money is involved and that takes time and planning.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

They won't keep him on for sentimental reasons. Far more likely that its practical.

For example, they may not have the cash flow in the club accounts yet, to fire and hire. 

They want to do things properly, let them.

One thing is certain, they haven't assured him of his future, which speaks volumes.

Two perfect posts O0

45 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

People are vastly underestimating the damage that sacking someone without a good plan in place could do, as if we haven’t been relegated twice because of it in the last 15 years 

Wasn't the second relegation more a failure to sack a manager who was clearly taking us down?

We're not exactly flush with coaches to temporarily promote like clubs that have been properly ran. I could see a scenario where they don't want to risk a shambles in match preparation and training whilst they figure things out with regards to DoF and Manager.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Wasn't the second relegation more a failure to sack a manager who was clearly taking us down?

We sacked a manager and did a back of a packet fag calculation on putting tens of millions of pounds into an established shite manager who hadn’t managed at the top level for ages. We then fannied about not looking to replace him and sacked him far too late, and brought in Benitez, who didn’t have a plan to get us out of it but was good enough to stick around and try the next year. 

Mclaren was a knee jerk appointment. Even though it came far too late, we sacked him as a knee jerk without a plan. We got relegated even though we had a top quality manager come in. It is not even halfway through October. If we are sitting here mid November with Bruce, in the bottom 3 having been turned down by Graham potter, I give full permission to kick off. But we are way, way ahead of that and we have the luxury of taking maybe even a few weeks to find a manager who will not only stop us from going down, but hopefully kick us on to contending for Europe in the next 5 years. 

The next manager determines how much we can spend in January and on what. DOF probably too. Getting that right is absolutely pivotal to survival this year and kicking on for contending for something next year as on current form there aren’t three worse teams than us. 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Benitez didn't have a plan to get us out of it?? WAT? 

Did you forget that we got relegated or something? I love Rafa as much as anyone but the damage was too deep when he came in for him to change what was a nailed on certainty. He didn’t know anything about what was happening at the club or in the dressing room even if he did have ideas about what he would like to do in the summer. 

Say we sack Bruce now and scramble a replacement in, like potter. Say he keeps losing because the squad is old and injuries and all the usual. What happens in February if we are 10 points adrift? Sack someone else?  If we bring conte in then, is it too late like it was with rafa? It would just be the usual shite and I can’t be arsed with doing it out of emotion. 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

35 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

We're not exactly flush with coaches to temporarily promote like clubs that have been properly ran. I could see a scenario where they don't want to risk a shambles in match preparation and training whilst they figure things out with regards to DoF and Manager.

This is it basically. Just whether you think Bruce and his coaches are so harmful that they should be removed anyway. 

I personally think so but I can understand why people who don’t despise him might not agree. 

Also there’s the emotional reason of the party on Sunday, which won’t be the same at all if he’s there. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

All of my prior joking in the thread aside, no, one more game with him isn't going to make or break the season. Possibly even two more won't matter.

He absolutely can't be here come November though. I know there's a lot to sort out, only been a week, new owners, etc. But they cannot afford to dawdle on this too long.

6 hours ago, reefatoon said:

It was a completely different scenario. Hughes was highly regarded at that time. Bruce is at the end of a 1000 game stinking run and has been utter wank for years. Hughes deserved to hold his job for a bit at the time, for them to see what he can do. Everyone knows what you will get from Bruce.

Aye, Hughes had just done a cracking job at Blackburn for 3-4 years and a promising young manager it seemed at the time. Bruce has spent 20 plus years fighting relegation/promotion with the odd mid-table finish (in both divisions).

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

This is it basically. Just whether you think Bruce and his coaches are so harmful that they should be removed anyway. 

I personally think so but I can understand why people who don’t despise him might not agree. 

Also there’s the emotional reason of the party on Sunday, which won’t be the same at all if he’s there. 

Yeah, I think this is ultimately a big part of it. If Bruce goes and takes his other Steve's with him, it will literally just be Jones and some academy coaches left to look after things in the interim.

Now ... we all know that ultimately that is an infinitely better proposition than Bruce remaining, as nothing could be worse than what he is doing anyway, and his removal alone would be a positive.

However, the new lot cannot possibly understand or appreciate that as of yet, which is not their fault really. They will be thinking there is no point in removing the manager if they haven't sorted the replacement etc yet, especially if they just need another week or so to do so.

Edited by KaKa

Really dont want to go into Sunday with this fucking ball of Lard stinking the place out, I wont be able to celebrate if we win because that could keep him in a Job for another few months.

Bruce is a fucking mood hoover.

The good thing is we’ve still 31 games. It’s not a Rafa situation where he’s got 10 games to save a club in the middle of a scrap. We could quite easily take 2-3 games and get a top manager who does a Bobby and sees us storming to an easy mid-table finish, yet. Better than sacking him and going for a ‘firefighter’ this early in the season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/14/steve-bruce-in-line-to-stay-as-manager-of-newcastle-for-owners-first-game

Although Bruce had expected to be sacked this week he is poised to preside over his 1,000th game as a club manager when Tottenham visit St James’ Park on Sunday. It is almost certain to be his final substantive act at Newcastle before being dismissed but the owners are still to identify a replacement and have decided a 60-year-old in line for a £7m payoff merits a dignified end to his tenure.

... guess we wait for al-Rumayyan coming into England and see what happens tomorrow. Leaving it short notice if they act tomorrow though

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Do we know for a fact Bruce would take his coaches with him?

I would hope anyone associated with him from his start here would be flung out.

Jones was a later addition, and has a growing reputation after his work with England this past summer, and so could be kept on in a transition period.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

My assumption is that whoever they bring in will have their own people rather than us deliberately keeping a Steve for the banter and continuity. 

As in, if we sacked Bruce on the spot, would his coaches go with him?

Its not a dig, I just wondered if anything had been written.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

As in, if we sacked Bruce on the spot, would his coaches go with him?

Its not a dig, I just wondered if anything had been written.

Not much but it’s the same as everything else, the owners haven’t got their house in order so who knows what the plan is. I cannot see them going all out for a real actual manager and not bringing in their own people, who would take the job?

2 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/14/steve-bruce-in-line-to-stay-as-manager-of-newcastle-for-owners-first-game

Although Bruce had expected to be sacked this week he is poised to preside over his 1,000th game as a club manager when Tottenham visit St James’ Park on Sunday. It is almost certain to be his final substantive act at Newcastle before being dismissed but the owners are still to identify a replacement and have decided a 60-year-old in line for a £7m payoff merits a dignified end to his tenure.

... guess we wait for al-Rumayyan coming into England and see what happens tomorrow. Leaving it short notice if they act tomorrow though

The rags have shown this week that they don't have a sccooby.

At first we were told he'd be gone within 48 hours, then it was before the Spurs game, then came the furious backtracking.

We've had the PIF rubber stamp, a lack of coaching staff, negotiating compensation and now leaving with dignity. They don't have a clue man.

That said if he they were doing this on 'dignity' grounds they'd want shooting with shit. I can't see it being the case though.

10 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Really dont want to go into Sunday with this fucking ball of Lard stinking the place out, I wont be able to celebrate if we win because that could keep him in a Job for another few months.

Bruce is a fucking mood hoover.

You really think he'd be given longer on the back of Sundays result ?

1 minute ago, madras said:

You really think he'd be given longer on the back of Sundays result ?

Hoping we don't have to find out tbh. If he's here Spurs all the way for me.

Edited by KaKa

They had/have no one lined up, they has a meeting with him in a professional manner, something so sorely lacking our club for yonks. It isn't a surprise he's still here in all honesty.

He'll be gone, and aye the sooner the better. However freed of all the negativity and atrocious running of the club.The team, and to be fair to Bruce who's been the only one speaking to the media for over a year, will all have a weight lifted of their shoulders.