Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

50 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Have to say I'm very uncomfortable with people saying they "hate" Bruce!

Maybe not hate but I'd had a dislike of him for some years before he was appointed manager for the way he'd treated Palace amongst others - and he then did the same to Sheff Weds when he came here.

I know he supports Man U more than us - that and the fact and he was at Sunderland doesn't bother me at all. If he would just stop going on about how he's such a big fan of his hometown club, keep his head down, and get results I'd tolerate him. 

However, after spending around £100 million more than Rafa ever had without taking us forward (points wise) and actually taking us backwards in terms of tactics and organisation, he's not managed to sway me. All fans are fickle and I'd probably have put up with him if performances had been decent, but no…

In the context of the Premier League (not Ashley) it was a bizarre appointment. We were the only top flight club who would have considered letting Rafa walk away and thought it was reasonable to replace him with Steve Bruce. With seven wins in thirty-four league games, two of which were against already relegated sides, he's done himself no favours at all.

Guest reefatoon

Yeah Merson isn’t letting us down. Spouting his usual thick nonsense. Sherwood was alright actually. He even said we should have got shot of Bruce before Sunday. 

Edited by reefatoon

Guest reefatoon

Why do these pundits think we want it all now? As a fan base, we are in no rush. We want to build it properly, watch it grow and enjoy the ride. They keep banging on about it taking time like we are demanding instant success. Non of us are you bunch of pricks.

Edited by reefatoon

I don’t really mind pundits saying dumb shit, my problem is with presenters not questioning their opinions. If someone says “Steve Bruce has done a fantastic job” like that Dawson guy just did, how do you not have a follow question to that?

1 hour ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Have to say I'm very uncomfortable with people saying they "hate" Bruce!   Hate is a very emotive word!!! I dislike him due to the teams results but i certainly don't hate him.  I seem to recall hearing a story where some obscure celebrity was in Dubai having a meal and his card was rejected when trying to pay and Bruce who was also in the same restaurant paid his bill even though they had nevet met before, and also refused to allow repayment, so not the actions of a hateful person by any means !

First of all, that story has no bearing on his ability and conduct as a football manager of Newcastle United. The supposed boyhood fan has essentially put two fingers up to the fans and the press over his entire tenure here whilst never ever being worthy of having this club on his resume. 

1 hour ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Have to say I'm very uncomfortable with people saying they "hate" Bruce!   Hate is a very emotive word!!! I dislike him due to the teams results but i certainly don't hate him.  I seem to recall hearing a story where some obscure celebrity was in Dubai having a meal and his card was rejected when trying to pay and Bruce who was also in the same restaurant paid his bill even though they had nevet met before, and also refused to allow repayment, so not the actions of a hateful person by any means !

Andrew Flintoff

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-8244937/Andrew-Flintoff-reveals-Newcastle-boss-Steve-Bruce-settled-bill-Dubai-restaurant.html

Edited by TwoForJoy

10 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Just his comments, man. “I’ll have a crack. I’ll give it a go”.

Not, “I can prove I’m the man for the job”. He sounds like a lottery winner.

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

Seriously, you would have expected him to come out saying "I'm the man for the job, I can win us trophies with the right backing"

But no, he's resigned to getting sacked because deep down he knows he's a fraud. 

I think the overall point is, and it's crazy it needs to be highlighted again, that being a nice person bears no reflection at all on professional ability. None whatsoever. So Steve Bruce paying Andrew Flintoff's bar bill means he (Bruce, not Flintoff, for the avoidance of doubt) now has a greater understanding of the merits of a 3-4-3 over a 3-5-2 with wingbacks? Steve Bruce helps an old lady cross the road and so now he's won 60% of his 1000 (one THOUSAND) league games? Sir Alex Ferguson is the most successful British manager ever because he spent more time volunteering at local food banks than he did at the training ground? No! Some skills are simply not transferable. 

I'm the nicest guy ever, ask anyone at work, I'm notoriously polite but there's no way in the world they're wanting me to try my hand at performing open heart surgery simply because I rock up with a smile and I'll share my coffee from time to time. 

Steve Bruce is now the footballing face of a £300 million Saudi investment in full view of pretty much everyone inside and outside of football. They're not going to tolerate him for as long as we have. 

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

Soccer Saturday has Merson and Sherwood on. Going to be utter drivel spouted by these morons so brace yourself.

I watched it, I think I'd rather watch the takeover discussed by the cast of East Enders. 

12 hours ago, Ankles Bennett said:

The problem with this story, is firstly that Flintoff then took Bruce out the next night in return, so he was in fact repaid.

And secondly, even if he hadn't been repaid, spending a few quid to suck up to a sporting superstar is one thing. But how about, on the other hand, according to a charity allegedly acting as a slum landlord to someone with no money or star status? 

That would be pretty despicable behaviour for any human being.

But I detest him regardless of the truth of either of those stories. He's a sly hateful liar and an idiot.

Edited by Abacus

I really hope he just gets ignored on Sunday, it’s amazing someone so bang average can get to 1000 games; that’s some effort.

We all know he’s gone so let’s make Sunday about the club and the future. My problem with Bruce is that he was a supporter and walked away (he’s also a bit of a snake, man child and out of touch manager etc) there’s something in the water in Manchester. Bruce, Bobby Charlton and to a lesser degree Bryan Robson (but still fairly strongly) gave up on their roots and planted their flag in Manchester. That’s fine but Bruce can’t then become Newcastle manager and reclaim his Geordieness. He stood on the terraces with his dad, he was at the Rangers match, he went to the final, he lived in Daisy Hill. I feel truly sorry for his family who will be there on Sunday.

Ignore him and be thankful he’s gone. If he’s there the next home that’s the time I’ll really worry. He’s going to be painful to listen to on Sunday, ignore, ignore, ignore.

Jeff Stelling has mentioned that we have a horrendous fixture list in December against Liverpool, Man U, etc. I did wonder if the owners might be tempted to leave Bruce in charge to get those out of the way but quickly realised that would be suicidal. We could be well adrift at the bottom of the table if he's here for another month. 

And actually, just to follow on from that point, it's not just his arrogance and thin skinned delusion, I'm going to come back to the lying point and his sheer contempt for the fans he supposedly represents.

Here is one obvious lie.

When he managed Sunderland, he claimed that it had never been his dream to manage Newcastle. But when he came here, whilst acting disgracefully towards Shef Wed, the narrative was that he'd be mad to turn down the dream chance to manage his boyhood club.

You might think he had to say that when at Sunderland. But whichever way you look at it, he was clearly lying to one whole set of fans or the other.

But I think he actually went one further, because it's clear that the real reason he came here was that he'd have been mad to turn down such a compensation package.

I have noted that we are described time and again as his "boyhood club". I think we all know that his adult club, where he shifted his allegiances, was Manchester United, his real dream job.

I think that repeating "boyhood club" is a snakey way of trying to suck up to Newcastle fans and also create a false narrative for journos to lap up. Whilst he goes out for dinner with Bryan Robson and his Man U mates as a Man U fan after we lose to them, and pining for his life in his big house in the North West, fleecing every other club with lies to pay for it.

Edited by Abacus

See here’s the thing, we all love the club, we support it and want it to be the best it can possibly be. Steve Bruce claims to feel this way too, but the difference between say us if any of us got the chance to be a football manager, if we weren’t up to scratch it would hurt but we’d move aside because it needed to happen.

Steve Bruce comes first and love for the club a far second (if even). His ego and settling scores with people for pointing out the obvious seems to be prioritised over actually doing his job, which he’s very limited at achieving success in.

I didn’t have any personal animosity towards him when he first took over, I knew he was going to be a poor appointment, we all did, based on his track record.

But this dislike, bordering on a hatred has grown steadily over the last 2 years for all the reasons mentioned above.

He set his stall and then when it backfires on him he plays the victim card, it’s a detestable trait.

5 minutes ago, GWN said:

I don’t blame Bruce for not walking, he’s £8million reasons not to , none of them walk. In the PL .

why twist about it? Just wish he’d choke on a kebab [emoji38]

Or @Rockercock…

17 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

With Man Utd losing again today, maybe not sacking Bruce will turn out to be a master stroke, when Man U sack OGS, and then come in for Bacon boy.

:naughty:

I wonder how many experts will suggest Steve Bruce for the Man U job ? ...seeing what a wonderful job he has done here.  

See the look on their faces when the (clearly deranged) caller suggested Bruce at Man U? Same cunts who have shouted from the rafters how good he is for the last 2 years. 

Sly as a box of monkeys, the pair of them.