Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

9 minutes ago, Joe Nelson said:

Are you serious? Look, the new owners made a mistake, that is easy to see. Let us hope it was the first and last one. 

It's clear the plan was to give him enough rope to hang himself. 

7 minutes ago, Joe Nelson said:

And i disagree with your statement. But you will defend these owners with your life.

Don't bother quoting me in future, I won't be replying to your shit WUM patter. 

57 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Him and his TV buds going on like he's just arrived. 2 years plus and he's bemoaning things like "still got frailties" of the team...like he isn't responsible :lol: 

Keegan took 10 games to turn around Allardyce's team and get them playing football again.  Rafa took 3 games to stop the rot (even though it wasn't enough ultimately).

Some pundits are going to get a hell of a shock when a competent coach comes in and transforms the team.

4 hours ago, Emotic said:

Boils my piss that, after the stoppage, the Spurs players regrouped around NES for instructions and our “manager” was literally just standing there with his hands in his pockets whilst our players went for drinks.

mentioned by a caller to sutton and savage.

4 minutes ago, ikri said:

Keegan took 10 games to turn around Allardyce's team and get them playing football again.  Rafa took 3 games to stop the rot (even though it wasn't enough ultimately).

Some pundits are going to get a hell of a shock when a competent coach comes in and transforms the team.

Oh I guarantee that they'll use it as evidence that Bruce would have turned it around.

3 minutes ago, ikri said:

"Yeah New Manager has done well, but I tell you what... Steve Bruce needs to take a lot of credit for building the foundations."

3 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

"Yeah New Manager has done well, but I tell you what... Steve Bruce needs to take a lot of credit for building the foundations."

“Steve stabilised Newcastle and kept them up during a turbulent period. He did a great job under difficult circumstances.” 

nevermind the chronicle, 

"six things my kids noticed":

why does he still play joelinton after  being given so many chances and still being shit? fraser, murphy and gayle are all fit.

why has hayden started in defence? 

why isnt he talking to the players? (the break during the medical incident).

why hasnt he changed anything yet?

why has he taken our striker off but brought another 2 wingers on?

why was that man shouting at you when you were chanting "we want brucie out!" ("support the team" lot out if full force again).

1000 games in mangement

30% win rate

300 career wins from 1000 games across Championship and Premier League seasons, which includes seasons he earned promotion (which probably skews a majority of wins into single seasons). 47 years of being involved in professional football with the transition from player to manager happening seamlessly, and before a time managers were required to have an UEFA Pro License. This makes me believe the guy has probably had little formal education in football coaching or management and has simply been allowed to coast through as a relic'd grandfather of a bygone era. I remember Glenn Roeder being gifted a Pro License status so he could transition from caretaker to take the management role of Newcastle, which was 2006/7. Bruce was even before that. 

Those who say he has received unfair criticism and abuse mustn’t realise just how lucky Steve Bruce is to have carved a career in management, given his clear lack of qualifications beyond "he won the league with Man U". He has earned millions from several teams achieving what I can only sum up as 'about as good as you or I could do', although perhaps that's slightly unfair since we wouldn't have that initial reputation of being an ex-professional footballer. It must become clear quickly, and disappointingly so, just how little this man knows about the game, or has evolved (at all) over the decades when he casually rocks up to training once in a while. I remember Rafa speaking about the lazy and unprofessional attitude the NUFC players seemed to have towards training when he arrived. How the players would arrive in patches and walk on to the training pitch without any urgency. The manager always sets the tone and standards; either by example such as Rafa being there every day jogging to get onto the training pitch and being the first one there, or passively; such as a manager turning up to training 2 out of 5 days. 

What do you associate a Steve Bruce team with? The high press? Overlapping fullbacks? A low block with a counter attack to a bigman/small man pair? Controlling the possession? There is no identity. No gameplan on how to win beyond a formation and pass it to the best player and hope he does something. Our goal against Tottenham today was an example of a phase of play. The ball started on the left, drawing the defending team across, it switched across to the right, ASM held it up drawing the defenders towards him, the full back overlapped into the space and crossed it. I can't really recall the last time that happened prior to today. Where we created a goal through a phase of play, either accidentally like today or through design exploiting an opponent's weakness. Most of our goals come from individual play. 

Our defenders don't know if they're pressing, dropping off, man-marking or anything in between. They're stretched wide. All. The. Time. 

If I could stomach it, I would watch footage of other Bruce teams to see if similar issues popped up. Whatever today was about (1000 game farewell parting gift or genuine hold the fort while we look for your replacement) it was just another example of Steve Bruce's ability to somehow mismanage a game situation. 1-0. 1-1. 1-2. All within 30 minutes. Does Steve Bruce consider his job done once he's named his starting 11. Is it the player's fault once kick off happens for anything that happens afterwards. Where's the feedback, the adjustments, the changes, the awareness of our own faults and the oppositions' weaknesses to exploit. Sure he stands there on the sideline, but he isn't doing much. He looks exasperated, as if confused by what's happening in front of him. How can this be, did I not put 11 people on the field in a formation I thought would win. 

What I don't understand is the role Ben Dawson and Graeme Jones are currently playing, and I'm only talking about their role since I'm a little familiar with what they're like as coaches. They're both technically minded and very tactically driven coaches, both of which believe in being progressive within football, constantly learning and seeking knowledge from others. It must be odd to be involved in the first team and match day and witness the absolute clueless mishap on the pitch. Is Bruce too proud to take their advice? Too stubborn to change? Is he afraid of appearing to be undermined by other coaches' inputs? If so why have them involved? Yet, he'll chat with Agnew and Clemence. What is he asking them? Do they give advice or are they offering condolence and reassuring harddone by stories. 

Anyone who watched Newcastle since Bruce's appointment will have seen just how many of our wins were actual luck, or as we called it 'Shithousery'. This is reflected in his mannerisms and press conferences with often recycled soundbites such as "have a crack", "dust ourselves off", "we won the first half", "we deserved something". These are the phrases of someone who isn't entirely sure or convinced or perhaps an old leathered faced hard done by semi-pro boxer that one time appeared at MSG on the undercard of a huge prize fight (a story they'll often tell over a bottle of whatever is going).

As a professional footballer there are no doubts he was a winner; as a football manager there are no doubts he is a professional loser. Cracked me up when they said on Sky Sports whatever happens there will be clubs lining up to have him as their manager should he leave Newcastle. No former club seems to speak in high regards of him, and there doesn't seem to be many clubs out there that would want him as their manager either. I disliked Pardew for his arrogance and defence of Mike Ashley, but at least you could see he was trying to manage and coach. With Steve Bruce there is nothing other than I'm Steve Bruce, I've managed 1000 games of professional football. 

19 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Don't read the BBC match report comments, will boil the piss. 'Blah blah disrespectful hope you go down'.  Change a-comin' you massive twats

We are going to be hated by a significant proportion of the country from now on so we had better get used to it. Very thick skins are gonna be needed from here on in.