Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

23 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Don't read the BBC match report comments, will boil the piss. 'Blah blah disrespectful hope you go down'.  Change a-comin' you massive twats

I wont but its utter madness.

Like they wouldn't call for the sacking of a manager that had plummeted them from midtable to 2nd bottom, starting the season with 0 wins in 9 and invariably playing utterly shambolic football whilst being lazy and incapable of forming a relationship with the fans.

If we can't ask for Bruce to be sacked, none of them c*nts can do the same until they're in an even worse situation.

Bruce is being shielded more than Arsene Wenger - one the greatest managers in football history - was.

1 hour ago, OCK said:

1000 games in mangement

30% win rate

300 career wins from 1000 games across Championship and Premier League seasons, which includes seasons he earned promotion (which probably skews a majority of wins into single seasons). 47 years of being involved in professional football with the transition from player to manager happening seamlessly, and before a time managers were required to have an UEFA Pro License. This makes me believe the guy has probably had little formal education in football coaching or management and has simply been allowed to coast through as a relic'd grandfather of a bygone era. I remember Glenn Roeder being gifted a Pro License status so he could transition from caretaker to take the management role of Newcastle, which was 2006/7. Bruce was even before that. 

Those who say he has received unfair criticism and abuse mustn’t realise just how lucky Steve Bruce is to have carved a career in management, given his clear lack of qualifications beyond "he won the league with Man U". He has earned millions from several teams achieving what I can only sum up as 'about as good as you or I could do', although perhaps that's slightly unfair since we wouldn't have that initial reputation of being an ex-professional footballer. It must become clear quickly, and disappointingly so, just how little this man knows about the game, or has evolved (at all) over the decades when he casually rocks up to training once in a while. I remember Rafa speaking about the lazy and unprofessional attitude the NUFC players seemed to have towards training when he arrived. How the players would arrive in patches and walk on to the training pitch without any urgency. The manager always sets the tone and standards; either by example such as Rafa being there every day jogging to get onto the training pitch and being the first one there, or passively; such as a manager turning up to training 2 out of 5 days. 

What do you associate a Steve Bruce team with? The high press? Overlapping fullbacks? A low block with a counter attack to a bigman/small man pair? Controlling the possession? There is no identity. No gameplan on how to win beyond a formation and pass it to the best player and hope he does something. Our goal against Tottenham today was an example of a phase of play. The ball started on the left, drawing the defending team across, it switched across to the right, ASM held it up drawing the defenders towards him, the full back overlapped into the space and crossed it. I can't really recall the last time that happened prior to today. Where we created a goal through a phase of play, either accidentally like today or through design exploiting an opponent's weakness. Most of our goals come from individual play. 

Our defenders don't know if they're pressing, dropping off, man-marking or anything in between. They're stretched wide. All. The. Time. 

If I could stomach it, I would watch footage of other Bruce teams to see if similar issues popped up. Whatever today was about (1000 game farewell parting gift or genuine hold the fort while we look for your replacement) it was just another example of Steve Bruce's ability to somehow mismanage a game situation. 1-0. 1-1. 1-2. All within 30 minutes. Does Steve Bruce consider his job done once he's named his starting 11. Is it the player's fault once kick off happens for anything that happens afterwards. Where's the feedback, the adjustments, the changes, the awareness of our own faults and the oppositions' weaknesses to exploit. Sure he stands there on the sideline, but he isn't doing much. He looks exasperated, as if confused by what's happening in front of him. How can this be, did I not put 11 people on the field in a formation I thought would win. 

What I don't understand is the role Ben Dawson and Graeme Jones are currently playing, and I'm only talking about their role since I'm a little familiar with what they're like as coaches. They're both technically minded and very tactically driven coaches, both of which believe in being progressive within football, constantly learning and seeking knowledge from others. It must be odd to be involved in the first team and match day and witness the absolute clueless mishap on the pitch. Is Bruce too proud to take their advice? Too stubborn to change? Is he afraid of appearing to be undermined by other coaches' inputs? If so why have them involved? Yet, he'll chat with Agnew and Clemence. What is he asking them? Do they give advice or are they offering condolence and reassuring harddone by stories. 

Anyone who watched Newcastle since Bruce's appointment will have seen just how many of our wins were actual luck, or as we called it 'Shithousery'. This is reflected in his mannerisms and press conferences with often recycled soundbites such as "have a crack", "dust ourselves off", "we won the first half", "we deserved something". These are the phrases of someone who isn't entirely sure or convinced or perhaps an old leathered faced hard done by semi-pro boxer that one time appeared at MSG on the undercard of a huge prize fight (a story they'll often tell over a bottle of whatever is going).

As a professional footballer there are no doubts he was a winner; as a football manager there are no doubts he is a professional loser. Cracked me up when they said on Sky Sports whatever happens there will be clubs lining up to have him as their manager should he leave Newcastle. No former club seems to speak in high regards of him, and there doesn't seem to be many clubs out there that would want him as their manager either. I disliked Pardew for his arrogance and defence of Mike Ashley, but at least you could see he was trying to manage and coach. With Steve Bruce there is nothing other than I'm Steve Bruce, I've managed 1000 games of professional football. 

Brilliant, just brilliant.

29 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's like the guillotine had a malfunction and they are working to repair it. Everyone is just standing around waiting.

"Well this is awkward.. sorry about this Steve." 

Need a big fucking guillotine to chop that fat cunts head off

Obviously he is still there because we can't find anyone else, the bloke is getting humiliated day after day but he just shows no shame and continues, from a personal pride point of view I would have come out and said "back me or sack me".

1 minute ago, Ben said:

Obviously he is still there because we can't find anyone else, the bloke is getting humiliated day after day but he just shows no shame and continues, from a personal pride point of view I would have come out and said "back me or sack me".

Judging by the state of the man, I’d say pride is lacking somewhat. He has none. The  sooner we’re all put out of his misery the better.

10 hours ago, Tsunami said:

The crowd got us the first goal and for the 1st 10 mins Spurs were shell shocked. Bruce ball then kicked in. I’ve just watched Wilson’s goal at home, I’ve mentioned before that Sky must turn the mics down, no doubt about that now. It was ridiculously loud.

I actually noticed the point when they muted/muffled the audio. It was after Tyler took control of the mics while.the cameras were 'on the pitch'. Tried to see other 'sources' for the Sky feed, all the same. So I switched to a non-Sky which was better. Fuck off Sky.

Walking out after the match yesterday I overheard some cunt saying how ‘I could go for a pint and chew the fat with Bruce, but as a gaffer? Nah.’

i mean, what the fuck? He was only late 20’s/early 30’s as well.

If he doesn’t go today, it means they have been knocked back by everyone they have approached and don’t have a clue where to go from here. 
I wouldn’t even sack the fucker either, no way I would give him a pay off of over 4 times his annual wage, I would put the fucker in charge of the under 21 team with the message “if you don’t like it quit” give him notice that the rolling portion of his contract is finished and he will be released at the end of the 3 years 

Edited by nufcnick

When can we expect Sky’s live coverage from the training ground - or do the players do recovery at home on the sofa?

Really looking forward to the vision of Bruce entering training compared to him carrying out a cardboard box into the carpark.

I think we’re struggling to get someone in who has the confidence to get us out of this mess.

We could have a QPR 2013 situation where we could go a bit radge with money and a new manager but it could be far too late by that point.

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

I think we’re struggling to get someone in who has the confidence to get us out of this mess.

We could have a QPR 2013 situation where we could go a bit radge with money and a new manager but it could be far too late by that point.

I seriously doubt that. Most managers know better than to base their judgements of a team on a few performances. They'll look at the squad and see ASM, Willlock, Almiron, Wilson, Dubs, Schar, Lascelles etc. and think there's more than enough there to be a mid-table side. I think they're just being very measured in their approaches and they want a DOF in place before they make a decision - that's likely to be what's taking the time.