Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

54 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Imagine not liking cricket. Not sure how I’d get through the summer months without it.

As the Ashley years continued cricket easily became my number 1 sport tbh. Hopefully that'll change soon enough.

Apologise as off topic but I used to play football for Bournmoor and in the days before all day opening the cricket club would put a bus on down to Headingley.

Depart at 7am, cans on the bus, decant at Headingley, more cans up to lunch. At the lunch interval rush to the pub in the terraced houses and have as many pints as you could before more cans on the Western Terrace throwing ripped up copies of The Yorkshire Post all over the place.

Coach would stop at Wetherby on the way back until closing time and then back up the road.

On the flip side I went to a Cubs v Browns baseball game on a Wednesday afternoon and by Christ it was awful. One home run for the Browns and they didn’t set off any fireworks.

Oldtype, you need to learn the finer sides of cricket.

Cricket is class. Love being there getting pissed or equally lounging about on the sofa with a hangover watching the Test match coverage.

Along with football and darts it's easily one of the best three sports to watch live.

Test matches are generally ace, it's a background thing, just put it on, relax and chill out and the game gradually unfolds over a few hours. Commentary normally makes a huge difference too mind, got to be said. Good commentators are like the host of the most chilled bbq you've ever attended. 

Another massive fan of cricket, go to at least one test match a year and also watch a fair bit at Jesmond as I live around the corner. Also enjoy listening to it on TMS, the commentary is brilliant.

Watching sport and drinking, what's not to like?

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Apologise as off topic but I used to play football for Bournmoor and in the days before all day opening the cricket club would put a bus on down to Headingley.

Depart at 7am, cans on the bus, decant at Headingley, more cans up to lunch. At the lunch interval rush to the pub in the terraced houses and have as many pints as you could before more cans on the Western Terrace throwing ripped up copies of The Yorkshire Post all over the place.

Coach would stop at Wetherby on the way back until closing time and then back up the road.

On the flip side I went to a Cubs v Browns baseball game on a Wednesday afternoon and by Christ it was awful. One home run for the Browns and they didn’t set off any fireworks.

Oldtype, you need to learn the finer sides of cricket.

Did you come over to watch baseball back in the 1940s? :lol:

16 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Another massive fan of cricket, go to at least one test match a year and also watch a fair bit at Jesmond as I live around the corner. Also enjoy listening to it on TMS, the commentary is brilliant.

Watching sport and drinking, what's not to like?

Maybe you’ve seen me play there mate when I lived in Newcastle. Many good memories of that ground!

It’s definitely my favourite sport overall. But admittedly so many things to hate about it also, as someone who plays lots [emoji38]

I quite like Lords but my personal favourite is to take a month off to watch Test matches in the West Indies before I start a new job, and then fuck off at short notice from said job four or five months later.

40 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I quite like Lords but my personal favourite is to take a month off to watch Test matches in the West Indies before I start a new job, and then fuck off at short notice from said job four or five months later.

Yeah, Lords might be nice, but I’ll take being one of 90,000 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Boxing Day, thanks :thup:

3 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

Yeah, Lords might be nice, but I’ll take being one of 90,000 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Boxing Day, thanks :thup:

90,000 drunken Aussies watching cricket would be painful. Hard pass. (Been there for a game, but it wasn’t Boxing Day!)

8 hours ago, Ameritoon said:

Did you come over to watch baseball back in the 1940s? :lol:

I’ll be honest, I was a young lad and it was when that DC-10 crashed at O’hare airport. We were the first DC-10 flight out afterwards and the CEO made a thing of being on the flight and there was an engineer jumping up and down inside one of the engines as we boarded 🤣.

I’ve still got the program somewhere.