Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

41 minutes ago, jotenko said:

Feels nice to observe that this forum still goes strong at grilling every single NUFC head coach.

Benitez took over a team getting relegated and gradually yet consistently improved them and turned them into a team which in his last quarter of the season was the 6th best in the league.

Then Bruce comes in and gradually yet consistently takes them backwards again towards relegation.

Maybe we should cut him some slack and lay off him? :lol:

On 24/03/2021 at 21:49, Pons Alias said:

Can anyone imagine any future Newcastle manager being hated more than Bruce?

Didn't think I'd hate anyone more than Pardew, yet here we are so never rule it out :lol:

2 hours ago, Northerngimp said:

Pardew getting grilled, he deserved to be put in a microwave and cooked for 50 mins for the football and self obsessed nonsense he spouted. 

Stick the cunt on a kebab spike and grill him, slice by slice. Microwaving him would be to quick.

Wouldn't even need to force feed him to Bruce. A Brucey bonus.

Edited by Happinesstan

The microwave would be quick but watching him talk about his fans while he clutches his 5th place finish/manager of the year award, while he explodeds...would be a delight. 

I mean it's just defending the indefensible at this point; there's not a single iota of evidence to support an argument which says Steve Bruce is a manager fit for the Premier League in 2021. Whether you're observing his historical record or the immediate past/present - he has nothing going for him. And, despite comments from clueless nowts who don't actually pay attention or the odd grunt from the media's pond life, I think the vast majority are aware of what's happening now. It's the only solace I take from this miserable situation: total vindication, as if I needed it, for being utterly and irreparably disgusted at what happened in summer '19.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I mean it's just defending the indefensible at this point; there's not a single iota of evidence to support an argument which says Steve Bruce is a manager fit for the Premier League in 2021. Whether you're observing his historical record or the immediate past/present - he has nothing going for him. And, despite comments from clueless nowts who don't actually pay attention or the odd grunt from the media's pond life, I think the vast majority are aware of what's happening now. It's the only solace I take from this miserable situation: total vindication, as if I needed it, for being utterly and irreparably disgusted at what happened in summer '19.

There is zero evidence to support Keys being a pundit. But football is full of cunts looking out for each other.

28 minutes ago, gdm said:

According to the chronicle howe is open to coming here 

Stop doing it, man. Rafa was open to coming here.

Ashley's not about potential or progression or any form of achievement at all. The only hope we have now is to bite on the bit, go down and stay down till he feels it.

Only then will who our manager is actually matter.

7 minutes ago, Pons Alias said:

Stop doing it, man. Rafa was open to coming here.

Ashley's not about potential or progression or any form of achievement at all. The only hope we have now is to bite on the bit, go down and stay down till he feels it.

Only then will who our manager is actually matter.

Didn’t say howe was coming here only passing on the info to people who don’t read chronicle 

So I was looking at the teams, from the newly promoted 2017/18 season under Rafa and the current 2020/21 season under Bruce. Essentially we have the same core of players who achieved a league finish of 10th with 46 points in the 2017/18 season. There are a handful of other players outside that core, arguably better ones now (see below), and a bigger squad. That said, I also noted some similarities in terms of results.

2017/18   2020/21

Dubravka   Dubravka
Darlow   Darlow

Clark   Clark
Dummett   Dummett
Lacelles   Lacelles
Lejeune   Manquillo
Manquillo   Yedlin
Yedlin    

Murphy   Murphy
Shelvey   Shelvey
Ritchie   Ritchie
Hayden   Hayden
Atsu   Atsu

Gayle   Gayle

Notable others:   Notable others:
Elliott   Krafth
Gamez   Shar
Mbemba   Fernandez
Haidara   Lewis
Diame   Willock
Kennedy   Fraser
Merino   Hendrick
Perez   S Longstaff
Slimani   M Longstaff
Joselu   ASM
    Almiron
    Wilson
    Joelinton
    Carroll

Results-wise I was surprised to see that there were actually some similarities between the two seasons, both team's longest streak without a win was 9 games (though our current predicament could extend that). Both team's biggest defeats all season were 4-1, strangely also against Man Utd (although this season we had a 5-2 loss to Leeds as well). In the 2017/18 season we had a period of 2 wins in 17, of course the longest this season (so far) is 2 wins in 18. The differences however are obvious, in the 2017/18 season we'd had wins against some big teams: Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester and a draw against Liverpool. Our most noted win against a team above us in the league this season was against Everton... that's it. In 2017/18 we finished the season with 12 wins and 8 draws, that was a team that had just come up from the Championship and not had much money spent on it, just some loans. This season we've had 7 wins and 7 draws (so far), so where's the clear difference and the cause in what has transpired? Covid? Injuries? A lack of investment since coming up from the Championship for sure, but I see our current team as having the same, if not better capability, we know that some of them, the core, if coached correctly and actual tactics used, can get results. There's no excuse in my eyes.

(To be fair, I know we all know the above, I just found it interesting comparing the two seasons when I had five minutes to spare) 

Bringing in a top manager changes little about the club in the long-term. It just regresses into what it was, once they've been cast away due to broken promises. Rafa wasted his time working for Ashley's Newcastle but I'm grateful he could see the club for what it could, but cannot under Ashley, be. Howe I fear would fall into the same trap, but if a takeover happened who knows what might happen or who'd we attract... in the short-term I would love someone forward-thinking which tbh is most managers!