Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

9 hours ago, HawK said:

how many games in the 5th season did you watch exactly?

Plenty and can remember us looking great for the last few months too. Pardew had a 10th place and sure we were like 9th with a state of a squad when he was hounded out too. Incredible 

18 minutes ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Plenty and can remember us looking great for the last few months too. Pardew had a 10th place and sure we were like 9th with a state of a squad when he was hounded out too. Incredible 

You must have been watching completely different games to me. On the ball all we ever did was hoof it from the back to the opposition penalty area, Cisse and Ba had the first touch and hold up play of a pair of dismembered mountain goats and never, in the entire season, won the ball. Not only that, but Tiote and Cabaye were sat practically in line with the defence, so the second ball was a freebie for the opposition. Our game plan was very much to get the opposition the ball and see if they would let us have it back further up the pitch, despite not having a high press or even a half-way press.

Pretty much the only reason we finished fifth was the quality in the middle from Tiote and Cabaye and Cisse had the best 4-5 months a footballr can have, his shots that went in were frankly ridiculous.

How we got to fifth, playing the way we did, was a miracle, and it was despite how Pardew set us up and managed us.

The cherry on top, was the following season we played exactly the same way, and to some people's complete bafflement (especially Pardew's), the luck had run out and our position actually reflected how we were set up and the choices we made on the ball.

56 minutes ago, HawK said:

You must have been watching completely different games to me. On the ball all we ever did was hoof it from the back to the opposition penalty area, Cisse and Ba had the first touch and hold up play of a pair of dismembered mountain goats and never, in the entire season, won the ball. Not only that, but Tiote and Cabaye were sat practically in line with the defence, so the second ball was a freebie for the opposition. Our game plan was very much to get the opposition the ball and see if they would let us have it back further up the pitch, despite not having a high press or even a half-way press.

Pretty much the only reason we finished fifth was the quality in the middle from Tiote and Cabaye and Cisse had the best 4-5 months a footballr can have, his shots that went in were frankly ridiculous.

How we got to fifth, playing the way we did, was a miracle, and it was despite how Pardew set us up and managed us.

Even if the 5th was a fluke what about top 10 and then 9th when he was hounded out? Just shows we will never be happy really with any manager under Ashley. I loved Benitez  but plenty moaned about him too 

4 minutes ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Even if the 5th was a fluke what about top 10 and then 9th when he was hounded out? Just shows we will never be happy really with any manager under Ashley. I loved Benitez  but plenty moaned about him too 

Most people loved Rafa, every set of supporters moans about their manager. You can go on every forum barring probably City and Chelsea and they'll be moaning about their manager.

9 minutes ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Top 10 with Krul, Debuchy, Coloccini, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Remy, etc...that should have been the bare minimum. 5th was a freak but we should have been a top 7/8 side for the duration of those 3-4 years with that squad.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Top 10 with Krul, Debuchy, Coloccini, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Remy, etc...that should have been the bare minimum. 5th was a freak but we should have been a top 7/8 side for the duration of those 3-4 years with that squad.

I’d go as far as saying with a proficient manager (like Rafa) that squad would have been competing for CL qualification. 
Pardews style of play with that squad was criminal. 

2 hours ago, HawK said:

Yeah we were absolute dogshit for most of the season, it's been said enough times that our improvement coincided diametrically with injuries forcing Pardew to put Ben Arfa in the line up, which along with Ba and Cisse up top, gave us a very potent front three. Pardew's tactics were horrific, everything we achieved was just down to having some class players in key areas of the pitch. 

I have this memory that Ashley was most displeased to qualify for the second tier Euro comp (was it still the UEFA Cup then?) and it seemed like a hard ceiling of seventh was set from then on. From there, "aiming" for seventh at best soon became "surviving in the league". Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I remember it...

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Top 4 would have been hard but he’d he could have challenged it definitely. Whereas 10th was ‘par’ for Pardew, I think a good manager would have seen 7th as par but with eyes on the places above it.

Reckon Rafa would have got us top four in 11-12. 4 points off 4th and 5 off 3rd (of course 4th didn't get Champions League that year).

Home defeat to West Brom and absolute thumpings fro Fulham, Wigan and Norwich in that season and only really Chelsea away that was a remarkable win (maybe Man U at home as well). You'd put money on Rafa getting 5 more points than Pardew managed

1 minute ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Reckon Rafa would have got us top four in 11-12. 4 points off 4th and 5 off 3rd (of course 4th didn't get Champions League that year).

Home defeat to West Brom and absolute thumpings fro Fulham, Wigan and Norwich in that season and only really Chelsea away that was a remarkable win (maybe Man U at home as well). You'd put money on Rafa getting 5 more points than Pardew managed

I’m not too sure, that season was pure fluke. I do think he’d have kept us around the top 7 though in the seasons after it.