Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

Material risk of relegation, simple as that imo. As in, comfortably in the mire, more or less adrift. We were only one point off 17th when McClaren went, but there was only four teams in the fight. 

Bruce is never going to get sacked cos we'll never get in that situation with the players we have. Folks really ought to accept that. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Material risk of relegation, simple as that imo. As in, comfortably in the mire, more or less adrift. We were only one point off 17th when McClaren went, but there was only four teams in the fight. 

Bruce is never going to get sacked cos we'll never get in that situation with the players we have. Folks really ought to accept that. 

I seriously doubt McClaren would have been sacked if Rafa hadn't come to them.

I can only recall two other sackings by Ashley....Allardyce so Keegan could come in, and Kinnear as DoF, when he only got 19m for Cabaye where Ashley was looking for 6-11 more.

Guest neesy111
11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

He's never going to get sacked but your completely forgetting we were in the bottom 3 for a short while when Fulham were winning at Villa.  It wasn't just a material risk.

Even the Allardyce sacking could be dismissed, as it was when Ashley still had some enthusiasm and ambition for the club.

It seems to get sacked by him it has to immediately and directly cost money, like Kinnear did.

Sticking with bad managers is a gamble that he seems like...as it's paid off more often than not for him.

There may well be a bit of poker playing with Ashley and managers as well. In the world he is used to you just push managers to the side and get them to leave on their own accord. He probably thinks he can do the same with football managers - hang them out to dry with the pressure from fans and assume they will just sack it off.

Problem is, football managers have millions at stake and don't just pick up the phone to Hays

33 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

He's never going to get sacked but your completely forgetting we were in the bottom 3 for a short while when Fulham were winning at Villa.  It wasn't just a material risk.

I know we did drop that far, but by 'that situation' (in my previous post) I'm referring to one which is almost completely desperate; not where we're in the relegation zone for half an hour during a game not featuring us. 

think he might want to go out on a bit of  a high and make himself look good.

could see him resigning if ashley won't give him more than £12m summer kitty. he knows we've a limited squad and that he has no chance next season without upgrading.

otherwise he knows he'll get battered from the terraces next season.

or is that giving him too much credit?

Money talks ultimately. Bruce must know that (a) balance of probabilities say he won't get an extension to his contract here, (b) his 'stock' will never be higher now with a 12th place finish to fall back on.

So it comes down to does he take the final year of the contract knowing that there is a risk that this will be it for it or does he put the feelers out for a top half championship club to see if there is a 3 year deal on offer there (what's his standing at Sheff Utd these days :-))

Or the wildcard, does he stick it out hoping that Dyche picks up another job and Burnley becomes available.

16 minutes ago, huss9 said:

could see him resigning if ashley won't give him more than £12m summer kitty. he knows we've a limited squad and that he has no chance next season without upgrading.

Yes.
Absolutely no way this cunt resigns. If he comes under pressure, he'll suffer in the knowledge that it'll be worth it in the end when he gets his pay off.

In saying that, as Ashley never sacks anyone so it would be interesting to see which one blinks first.

Listening to a podcast from  around 26th feb. Interesting stats we were the lowest in the league for pressing particularly higher up the pitch, and also the team that conceded the most counter attack goals.

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Theres only 1 way Bruce leaves voluntarily...

And that is if his beloved Manure come calling.

Why would he take a step down though? 

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

It's giving the fans too much credit. He won't get battered as long as he can keep us a few points ahead of the relegation pack. 

I was certain this would be it; last year of his contract, potential takeover, universally hated by the fans with some of the media starting to call him out, but that end of season finish has me thinking the bean bag faced cunt thinks he's earned that 12th place finish on merit. 

How long he stays depends totally on the takeover bid. If it goes through, he'll probably be given a few months grace...unless Rafa is still not signed up, in which case he'll be told to pack his bags and clear the office immediately to make way for the mighty one. 

But in any case as long as we have ambitious new owners, he won't see out the season, so I'm prepared to put up with him for as long as it takes to get him fired. It will only be a matter of time.

If Ashley stays, then he's here until we get relegated. As long as we have players like Wilson and Maximan, that's not happening. 

If we can keep ASM, sign Willock and replace Shelvey with someone decent I don't mind if Bruce is still there until a takeover happens. We should have enough to be just in the top 10, maybe higher.

The issue though is that he can't cope with injuries. There are no goals in this team if Wilson and ASM don't play. Willock balanced this out a bit but if we don't sign him the same problems will arise.

9 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

If we can keep ASM, sign Willock and replace Shelvey with someone decent I don't mind if Bruce is still there until a takeover happens. We should have enough to be just in the top 10, maybe higher.

The issue though is that he can't cope with injuries. There are no goals in this team if Wilson and ASM don't play. Willock balanced this out a bit but if we don't sign him the same problems will arise.

Willock might do a Kennedy if we sign him. Go from mint to shite in one summer.

12 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

Willock might do a Kennedy if we sign him. Go from mint to shite in one summer.

Kennedy was never "that good" even in his first stint with us. We were just total gash down that side of the pitch. Willock just suits our counter attack style perfectly.

We have a better squad now going forward.

At the back we're ok. Murphy has been a revelation. I even think Lewis might come good eventually. Lejeune coming back will be important as Lascelles has question marks now and Schär is too reckless to depend on.