Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

14 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

It makes a mockery of him being a good businessman.

Bruce was earning 500k a year at Sheffield Wednesday and he had to pay £2m for him and then put him on £3m a year.  Up there with the joelinton deal.

For Ashley though, it possibly was worth it as having Bruce there gave him a human shield for all the abuse and someone who he knew would gave him no pressure on a day to day basis.

1 minute ago, jackyboy said:

If I remember right, Man City continued with Hughes for a while

They did…but they weren’t in 19th place at the time, and Hughes was also a better manager than our present one. 

Bruce has won 5 games in 37. Only a fool would continue with him, when it’s abundantly clear he can’t get a tune out of these players, and these new owners don’t strike me as fools. He’ll be gone next week and deservedly so. 

I think Ashley quite deliberately overpaid them and gave them a huge payout at the end because he deliberately employed managers as yes men meat shields. Of all the dross, only McLaren got the sack and that’s a mix of looming relegation and Rafa falling into his lap. I think with Bruce it is a case of taking the money to deflect the blame, accept the complete non-ambition and telling him he was trying to sell, and if he took his orders he’d get a nice big payout from new owners because the contract would be passed along with purchase. If he did have to sack him with relegation looming next year, pay out of revenue the club generates. 

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I can’t remember but yeah I don’t think they were in a really bad league position. He really just needed to not implode 

They were 7th iirc but he had been heavily backed in 3 previous transfer windows.   Getting Mancini in was no brainer.

Edited by neesy111

1 hour ago, duo said:

8 Mil payoff :facepalm: who ever agreed to that in his contract is an idiot. 

Surely if £8 million is more than his remaining contact value, we just make him go peel potatoes or whatever until he's a free agent? 

Guest neesy111

I've never understood why you can't just keep paying their contract while they are just not in their position officially.  Must be some rules against it 

2 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

I've never understood why you can't just keep paying their contract while they are just not in their position officially.  Must be some rules against it 

they do that in American sports iirc. When the Bucs fired Gruden, they had him on the payroll for quite a few years. In America you just could easily turn it into a severance agreement by which you agree the terms of the payoff over X periods etc. 

Edited by Kanji

Just now, neesy111 said:

You can, but it’s more desirable to lump sum it for income tax purposes for both parties. One law firm I left I got 6 months pay, 3 months normal salary on gardening leave and 3 months lump sum. 

Still no idea where this £8m figure has come from.

Interestingly his wage is reported differently by different sources. The Times reported £1m a year (£20k a week) in March this year, The Express reported £2.75m a year (£57k a week) in 2020. The Mirror reported £20k a week with an incentive for every place finishing about 17th.

He signed a three year deal when he took charge in 2019, so his contract is up at the end of next season. He can only have 7-8 months left.

Even at the highest reported wage of £2.75m, it’d only be £2m odd.

The backroom staff will all be on a fraction that he is. Jones will have the lengthiest contract though. But still no idea how people are getting up to £8m.

Even if he had a ‘break clause’ of a higher fee, they could just sling him on gardening leave and pay him until the end of his deal and save a fortune.

Just now, Ashley17 said:

It’s been widely reported that it’s a rolling 3 year contract so it won’t be up at the end of the season.

Wheres that reported? Everywhere I’ve seen has just said three years. Even if it is a rolling contract, the ability to break it would be after three years and the gardening leave would still be relevant.

Back in March, the Times reported the cost of sacking him as £4m. How has it doubled despite seven months being chalked off his deal?

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Wheres that reported? Everywhere I’ve seen has just said three years. Even if it is a rolling contract, the ability to break it would be after three years and the gardening leave would still be relevant.

Back in March, the Times reported the cost of sacking him as £4m. How has it doubled despite seven months being chalked off his deal?

It was everywhere in the summer when there were rumours of a new deal. Luke Edwards was one and we all know his source is impeccable 

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Still doesn’t make sense how the reported cost has doubled in the last seven months. With his reported wages it makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

It was everywhere in the summer when there were rumours of a new deal. Luke Edwards was one and we all know his source is impeccable 

As I said, even if it is a rolling contract, just don’t trigger it renewing and put him on gardening leave until the summer. Would cost about a million.

Just now, Manxst said:

Isn’t it that every day he wakes, he’s still got three years left? Maybe the 8m is for all the Steves to go? 

Their deals will all end at the same time. Jones the exception. They’ll also be on a fraction of Bruce.

Even removing our entire backroom and academy team, I have no idea how it’d cost that much.