Elden Ring

Cf

Dark souls 1 wasn't open world. In many ways it was the complete opposite. But not the complete opposite in the same way dark souls 3 and Bloodborne were. But it enough gives me faith they know what they're doing with it. 

4 hours ago, OpenC said:

I'm prepared to go on record and say that there will never be a 3D game world as well designed as the one in Dark Souls ever again

This isn't even a hot take. I think it's just simple fact. 

I didn't play 2 but my main gripe with 3 was that it didn't follow 1 in terms of world design. (Also it didn't seem quite sure if it was a dark souls game or a Bloodborne follow up). 

• 2 months later...

Thought fuck it why not. Only in the starting village and found the games level up woman. Digging the feel of it so far. Fell off a cliff and noticed my max HP has been reduced. Good job I've just played demon's souls or I'd be calling bullshit on that. 

15 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Was there a reason for having a jump button? That's literally my only real concern at this point

Just traversal really, but the beta map was very much your bog standard ‘this is an open world game beginning’ area. There was fall damage so it’s not like the game turned into Crackdown or anything. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/01/2022 at 18:38, OpenC said:

Was there a reason for having a jump button? That's literally my only real concern at this point

Imagine how different the whole gaming landscape would be without Mario, it's permeated into 'realistic' games.  Imagine being held hostage at a bank robbery and all the criminals were jumping around constantly, or fighting in a war and the enemy soliders were running around jumping.  No-one jumps in real life.  It's acceptable in Uncharted and NBA and that's about it, but every single game has a jump button.

That's exactly it :thup: from a purely gaming perspective it brought something to 2D where precision was necessary and, most importantly, possible. Ocarina Of Time had already sussed years ago that a jump button wasn't necessary in 3D gaming of this type - its Jump When He Gets To An Edge mechanic was absolutely bang on IMO

Had a look at a gameplay video and this does appear to have a bog standard third person jump button :/

Also saw the old trick of jump off cliff with horse and double jump just before the ground to stop damage. 

If I trust anyone with this it's From but hmmmmm. 

They're not as intimidating as they first appear :lol: just keep your shield up (Souls), just keep moving (Bloodborne) or just uninstall it and play something else (Sekiro)

Edited by OpenC