Elden Ring

Cf

Shields suck. 

I saw an interesting video in defence of DS2 making the argument that it was sort of paving the way for Bloodborne in that most starting classes don't have a shield and it's a while before you get a 100% physical shield encouraging you to play the game in a way that's more fun. 

By contrast DS1 gives you a shield right at the start and encourages you to use it. The shield then becomes a crutch and you're not learning to dodge properly. 

There's the odd occasion I'll whip a shield out but they're rare. 

I could not disagree more with this viewpoint :shifty:

BB worked well with no shield but DS's combination of shield and roll is a wonderful thing. I don't think you get a 100% shield in the first DS at the start unless you pick Knight class? And there's a super light shield in DS2 in the hallway to the tower of flame as I recall, it's not like you have to look very hard regardless of starting class

Edited by OpenC

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

Reddit now says it's on STR which sort of makes sense but :undecided:

STR makes the most sense I think. The big fuck off swords are quite heavy and need the extra strength to use.

Problem with it being on END is END is required for every class anyway, like HP, and maybe FP this time around. 

Doing it this way means if you go for the STR build you can use the heavier stuff. Other builds need to make use of pieces of cloth and get their roll on. 

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

As long as there's no Vitality which is literally nothing but carry weight, I'm happy tbh :lol:  

Yeah that was really shit in DS3. 

DS2 is what introduced it but I didn't mind there. DS2 balances out its new stats by levelling up faster. 

I was thinking of pre-ordering, since you can get this from Curries for like 35 quid, but after watching a Digital Foundry video... looks like the optimisation is horrible for the Xbox One X (shocked Pikachu face). Probably just wait a few years, when I have a next gen console and this is on sale :lol:

Edited by Elric

Was actually tempted to pick up a Series S to play it at 60fps (presumably) but 30 has never bothered me so just sticking with base PS4. Looks like it runs no worse than DS3 and Bloodborne did, which is good enough for me.

OT but feel like I might end up Xbox this gen anyway since i fucking hate a gimmick controller. Would have liked to have played the Demons Souls remake but I've played through it about 400 times on PS3 so probably not missing anything :lol:

Edited by OpenC

Bought a Series S as discussed :yao: just going to pick it up

Doesn't look like this will run at 60 on anything other than PC though, so I bought the Series S for slightly better visuals at 30fps :lol:

Edited by OpenC

9 hours ago, OpenC said:

Doesn't look like this will run at 60 on anything other than PC though, so I bought the Series S for slightly better visuals at 30fps :lol:

Pretty sure it has a 60fps mode on PS5 and Series X like.

Aye  it has on Series S as well but digital foundry and others report them all running sub 50 some or most or all of the time. Might as well run them at locked 30 with better graphics if you can't get a steady 60 imo, changed Nioh 2 to that since the 'performance mode' was still canny shaky and had made my peace with the slower but more consistent rate inside about a minute

All the reviews were from the network test though so maybe the final code is steadier

Edited by OpenC

On 11/02/2022 at 20:48, Cf said:

Shields suck. 

I saw an interesting video in defence of DS2 making the argument that it was sort of paving the way for Bloodborne in that most starting classes don't have a shield and it's a while before you get a 100% physical shield encouraging you to play the game in a way that's more fun. 

By contrast DS1 gives you a shield right at the start and encourages you to use it. The shield then becomes a crutch and you're not learning to dodge properly. 

There's the odd occasion I'll whip a shield out but they're rare. 

Just to jump in on this, I found parrying in DS1 incredibly easy when compared with DS2 or 3. Especially 3 actually, fuck me. 

On 13/02/2022 at 11:27, OpenC said:

Absolutely brilliant console. If you're going to get game pass ultimate it's worth doing the xbox live conversion method. I got 15 months of ultimate by buying 12 months of live and 1 month of game pass on cdkeys for around £40.

57 minutes ago, Clay said:

Absolutely brilliant console. If you're going to get game pass ultimate it's worth doing the xbox live conversion method. I got 15 months of ultimate by buying 12 months of live and 1 month of game pass on cdkeys for around £40.

Alright man :thup:

Had been been watching videos of it running 4 and 5 FPS slower than the Series X and hmmmmm'ing then realised that I'm 46 and I just want to play the games :lol: remember reading some dire warnings that it wouldn't run Sekiro at 60fps because it plays the One S version that was locked at 30 and was unreasonably upset about it until i remembered that I fucking hated Sekiro anyway :lol:

Really like it so far. Didn't realise it upped the frame rate of my old 360 games as well :)

Edited by OpenC

35 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Alright man :thup:

Had been been watching videos of it running 4 and 5 FPS slower than the Series X and hmmmmm'ing then realised that I'm 46 and I just want to play the games :lol: remember reading some dire warnings that it wouldn't run Sekiro at 60fps because it plays the One S version that was locked at 30 and was unreasonably upset about it until i remembered that I fucking hated Sekiro anyway :lol:

Really like it so far. Didn't realise it upped the frame rate of my old 360 games as well :)

Haha I went through a pretty similar thought process before picking mine up. I also realised that I'm far too cheap to upgrade to a 4k TV any time soon so getting the S was perfect for me. I've probably played more games since I got it than I have in years :lol: although Hades is getting most of my attention at the minute.  I'm sure Seikro will get the S/X optimised upgrade at some point, never played it though, why is it shit? surprised with you being such a soulsborne connoisseur that you dislike it.

Speaking of old 360 games, I picked up Lost Odyssey in the gold sale a couple of weeks back for £4.99, can't wait to play that again.